1 (edited by jeddenton 2012-02-16 05:07)

Topic: RETURN PUNBB TO COMMUNITY

I've read the original post's and would like to say that i was starting work on a punbb alternative based on there code. If anyone is interested in helping you can go to my website here http://jeddentonmedia.co.uk/simplebb/forum/. It will of course remain open source, i would like as much community involvement as possible.

SimpleBB is a new alternative to PunBB. We are currently creating our first release. We need your help, theme designers, extension creators, mysql guru's and php developers.

EDIT : UPDATED LINK

Re: RETURN PUNBB TO COMMUNITY

Hm. What difference from PunBB?

To be fair, its in development and probably seems exactly the same, i have however made various changes to the back end.

And ofcourse the website hasn't got the latest version yet its still in development.

The next release will support mobile devices as standard, it will also be more integrated with social media from the core.

your server is too slow to load hmm

Seems to be working fine for me, what browser ect are you using?

Why not help directly in the development of PunBB ?

Care to clarify how this puts PunBB more in the community than it currently is?

I wish you good luck with your fork. I'm wondering though why you don't help out PunBB instead of forking it. It's your choise, but I'm just wondering.

In PunBB no need to modify anything, because he is perfect smile

Hey , to my opinion i think is very lame thing to do, as much as punbb growing up fast those days.
i wish you luck with your project but still punbb is punbb and the Original is always better then the copies.

Yours, Benny.

11 (edited by jeddenton 2012-02-16 20:07)

Okay and you've based this assesment when i havent even released version 1, therefor you are unable to see the modifications i have made, The SimpleBB website itself is running punBB as it is a stable release, I have not released version one of simpleBB. I am still developing it! SimpleBB version one is based on punbb i make no secrete of it but it will also be very different with our own development goals.

For example, version one will allow mobile users to navigate to your site, they will then be taken to the mobile version of your site.

Also easily add advertising in a few clicks aswell as an admin function to add analytic s tracking codes so you can easily track whats doing well and whats not.

Please, i respect your opinion but atleast wait for the first release before you judge it!

jeddenton wrote:

Okay and you've based this assesment when i havent even released version 1, therefor you are unable to see the modifications i have made, The SimpleBB website itself is running punBB as it is a stable release, I have not released version one of simpleBB. I am still developing it! SimpleBB version one is based on punbb i make no secrete of it but it will also be very different with our own development goals.

For example, version one will allow mobile users to navigate to your site, they will then be taken to the mobile version of your site.

Also easily add advertising in a few clicks aswell as an admin function to add analytic s tracking codes so you can easily track whats doing well and whats not.

Please, i respect your opinion but atleast wait for the first release before you judge it!

Look at my register day to punbb community, untill now i just saw people like you with very good ideas and very good intantion but in the end they closed the project they made very early, because every one thing it's easy to make such a great forum system like punbb very fast. so you will add your own modifications and still, couple weeks after i will get massage "Google worng adreass" or  any other massage that show the project died.
except the good ideas your project need soul, i hope you the best and i'll keep tracking the development. maybe you will be the first who honestly speak the true and wanted so much.

good luck again!

Yours, Benny.

I can understand we're your coming from, but this time you will see a real project come out of this.

The project probably does lack soul, that's something that comes with time & a great community!

14 (edited by Endogen 2012-02-17 15:52)

Please tell me one thing: Why do you want to create your own fork?? I don't see the point. I would love to read your answer on this...

EDIT: And why are you creating feature-request-posts in your own forum on your own?? Doesn't make sense in my mind. And please don't forget to publish your source code after releasing the new version!

Why not just write extensions? All the things you say you're adding can be easily done with extensions to a vanilla install of punbb.

It's like writing your own blogging engine when all you want is something that could be accomplished with a wordpress plugin. I guess it's a good exercise if you want to learn how to do it, but realistically "rolling your own" is just a tremendous amount of unnecessary work.

Endogen - You may not see the point of doing it, buts its open source code so why not? Also, it may look stupid creating my own feature requests but it makes it a whole lot easier to see what needs doing, id also like to let people see whats going on. What would be the point of doing these things if no one noes about them?

jeddenton wrote:

Endogen - You may not see the point of doing it, buts its open source code so why not? Also, it may look stupid creating my own feature requests but it makes it a whole lot easier to see what needs doing, id also like to let people see whats going on. What would be the point of doing these things if no one noes about them?

Well that's interesting. Because you didn't answer my question... You dont have to, ok. But where is the problem? I understand that it is open source and that you can do with it what you want. That's clear and absolutely ok. But i'm interested in the reason. There must be one smile Maybe you don't want to tell but why not?? Come on, think about it and please tell me the reason - if it is something like "just playing around" or "for the exercise" or "because i think that i will do a better job" ... that's all ok, just tell me the reason please. I am curious to know big_smile That's all.

So this is over now right? URL not there anymore... As expected.