Re: Revising the profile options for PunBB 1.2

CodeDuck wrote:

Very good - that's exactly how I think it should be. The only thing that bothers me is the help texts -  they are not 100% consistent, some of them telling what happens if the option is enabled some what happens if the options is disabled. It's not a big deal and not sure I could do better, english is not my native tounge, but I think providing good help to the users should be a high priority.

I agree. I actually tried to be a little inconsistent. Maybe that was a bad idea :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I agree. I actually tried to be a little inconsistent. Maybe that was a bad idea :)

I can see the point in using disable/enable to tell what the effect is if the user changes it from the default or maybe the current setting. Perhaps the best solutions is describing the effect of both enable and disable:

Enabling this feature will make links in posts open in a new browser window, disabling it will make links in posts open in the current browser window.
[] Open links in new window

It's a bit more text to display making the page even longer, so it might not be worth it.

I'll have a look at it tonight.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

29 (edited by Louis 2004-05-27 22:18)

How about something like the following?

E-mail Options -----------------------------

( ) Display your e-mail address.
( ) Hide your e-mail address.
. . . [ ] Allow form e-mail

[ ] Include post in subscription e-mails.

Browser Options ---------------------------

[ ] Save username and password between visits.
[ ] Open links in new windows.

Post Options -------------------------------

Show:
. [ ] Smilies (as icons)
. [ ] Avatars
. [ ] Signatures
. [ ] Images: (from [img] tags)
. . . [ ] In Posts
. . . [ ] In Signatures

30 (edited by Louis 2004-05-27 22:13)

While we're talking about profile changes, how about we re-do the time zone selection?

1. People from Newfoundland can't select their time zone, currently.

2. It doesn't take into account the differences between Daylight Savings Time and Standard Time ...

I realised this as I tried to modify it myself, to add cities to the list:

<select name="form[timezone]">
<option value="-12"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -12) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -12</option>
<option value="-11"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -11) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -11</option>
<option value="-10"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -10) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -10 Hawaii (Honolulu)</option>
<option value="-9"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -9) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -09 Alaska (Anchorage)</option>
<option value="-8"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -8) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -08 Pacific (Los Angeles, Vancouver)</option>
<option value="-7"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -7) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -07 Mountain (Denver, Calgary)</option>
<option value="-6"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -6) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -06 Central (Chicago, Regina)</option>
<option value="-5"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -5) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -05 Eastern (New York, Toronto)</option>
<option value="-4"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -4) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -04 Atlantic (Halifax)</option>
<option value="-3.5"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -3) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -03.5 ??? Newfoundland</option>
<option value="-2"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -2) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -02</option>
<option value="-1"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == -1) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC -01</option>
<option value="0"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == 0) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC/GMT (London)</option>
<option value="1"<?php if ($user['timezone'] == 1) echo ' selected' ?>>UTC +01 CET (Paris)</option>

I guess I'll have to add a few more time zones. I can't just add GMT-3.5 though. There are lots of odd parts of the world where GMT time differential is a floating point value (i.e. GMT+5.45 in Katmandu). Why, god why?

Daylight saving time (yes, saving, not savings) is more or less impossible to handle properly. It differs in all parts of the world. Some countries observer DST and some do not. Some american states observe it, some don't. Some parts of some american states observe it, some don't (i.e. arizona). In some countries it begins on date A and in some contries it begins on date B. It's a complete mess.

Mmm. Maybe I'll look into how others have handled time zones and daylight saving time, I know vBulletin keeps track of it somehow.

What did you think of my profile.php form suggestion? ;)

I'm not sure about the "sub options". It will most likely require Javascript to dynamically show/hide options.