Topic: Add field to the posting form

Hi

I would like to add an additional field to my posting form (in addition to username and subject) but I have absolutely no idea how to do so. Can anyone provide instructions, for a dummy like me, to accomplish that? The field need not be searchable, just a simple text filed to hold a short amount of info. The contents of this field would show up in people's posts.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Oliver

Re: Add field to the posting form

Since this isn't a feature request, I'll move it to "PunBB discussions".

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hello, this is Oliver again. I was *really* hoping that somebody could have offered me a little direction as to how to add a new field to the post (message) form. This is a really important feature I'm trying to add and I have no clue...something to get me started would be very appreciated.  Thanks.

There really isn't a simple way of describing how to do it. You have to add the fields in the database table for posts and then modify post.php (and maybe viewtopic.php if you want to change quick post as well). We can't tell you how to do it unless we do it ourselves. You have to know a little PHP.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thanks anyway, I figured it out by staying up all night. I'd like to suggest that you add more fields to posts just in case someone like me has a use for additional fields. They come in quite handy when you're doing a little more than a standard forum. Thanks.

So I should add more fields to the posts table even though they aren't used? Adding the fields to the database table is the easiest part of the whole modification.