Topic: Easy forum message dump via RSS?

I know I can get a list of the newest topics by using extern.php with the RSS option, but I'd like to dump the contents of those messages in some instances, like an announcements section, if I could.

Any easy way to do that?

Thanks,

PEB

Re: Easy forum message dump via RSS?

I'm not sure I understand. Could you explain in more detail what you're after?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by peb 2004-06-06 22:39)

I want to have an announcments section that is a normal part of the forum.  I just want to pull the message of the most recent announcments to the front page, and thought I'd use an RSS parser to do it.  Maybe a simple query change, and some formatting in the extern.php module would do it.

Though this is in the wrong section, perhaps, I'm also trying figure out a simple way for the user to add an expiration date to an announcment. I could add a field very easily/  But everytime I think about coding a calendar form for the user to enter the date correctly from a forum posting, I get a headache.

I've pretty have a calendar plugin for punBB, but it's really not integrated except for the common login/logout.  The nice part of the plugin is that the only changes to stock punBB code is to include a $pun_root variable in some other scripts so that the references in the base punBB files don't get messed when they are called from outside the base directory. If I get happy with it, I'll put it somewhere for others to take a look at it.  I also made a couple of minor database changes.

I really like this board.  If I can get the calendar integrated the way I want, I'll be able to use it for what I'm trying to do.

PEB

peb wrote:

I want to have an announcments section that is a normal part of the forum.  I just want to pull the message of the most recent announcments to the front page, and thought I'd use an RSS parser to do it.  Maybe a simple query change, and some formatting in the extern.php module would do it.

Well, grabbing recent topics from a specific forum is easy. You just specify a forum ID when including extern.php. There are instructions in the script at the top.

peb wrote:

Though this is in the wrong section, perhaps, I'm also trying figure out a simple way for the user to add an expiration date to an announcment. I could add a field very easily/  But everytime I think about coding a calendar form for the user to enter the date correctly from a forum posting, I get a headache.

Search the web for JavaScript calendars. There are millions and they are very easy to install.

peb wrote:

I've pretty have a calendar plugin for punBB, but it's really not integrated except for the common login/logout.  The nice part of the plugin is that the only changes to stock punBB code is to include a $pun_root variable in some other scripts so that the references in the base punBB files don't get messed when they are called from outside the base directory. If I get happy with it, I'll put it somewhere for others to take a look at it.  I also made a couple of minor database changes.

I really like this board.  If I can get the calendar integrated the way I want, I'll be able to use it for what I'm trying to do.

Nice to hear :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I got the topics fine.  I just wanted to add the message content, rather than the topics to the front page.

Yep, there's lots of javascript calendars, but integrating them into the posting form seems like something I won't have the time to tackle now.

PEB

Aha. Well, you could try this.