Topic: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

I want to know how I can ban .ru domains or mail.ru or gawab.com and all of these domains that spam keeps coming from.

Zach

Re: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

BUMP gonna bump this one to.

Re: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

It will be nice feature. We will add it to pun_antispam extension. Thank you for reporting.

Re: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

Slavok wrote:

It will be nice feature. We will add it to pun_antispam extension. Thank you for reporting.


Thanks now in exchange for my report - you can tell me how to ban them right?

Re: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

movingzachb wrote:

Thanks now in exchange for my report - you can tell me how to ban them right?

If you are familiar with PHP, add proper checks to is_valid_email() function in email.php.

Carpe diem

Re: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

movingzachb wrote:

I want to know how I can ban .ru domains or mail.ru or gawab.com and all of these domains that spam keeps coming from.

Zach

Maybe it's just me, but could you be clearer about what you want to do?

Do you want to block spammers from registering on your forum?
Do you want stop spammy forum posts?

Specifically, do you mean:
(a) you have email verification turned on, and you want to ban users who attempt to register using *ru email addresses (or who supply *ru web addresses) when they register?
(b) you want to ban users who attempt to register from Russia or any other specific IP address range or domain entirely?
(c) you want to block posts that contain links to *ru or other spammy sites?

I am presuming (a), but it is hard to tell.

Re: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

sirena wrote:
movingzachb wrote:

I want to know how I can ban .ru domains or mail.ru or gawab.com and all of these domains that spam keeps coming from.

Zach

Maybe it's just me, but could you be clearer about what you want to do?

Do you want to block spammers from registering on your forum?
Do you want stop spammy forum posts?

Specifically, do you mean:
(a) you have email verification turned on, and you want to ban users who attempt to register using *ru email addresses (or who supply *ru web addresses) when they register?
(b) you want to ban users who attempt to register from Russia or any other specific IP address range or domain entirely?
(c) you want to block posts that contain links to *ru or other spammy sites?

I am presuming (a), but it is hard to tell.

The Answer is: A. and putting a side the.ru or .anything - the bottom line is spammers are registering by 5 an hour if I allow registration on my forum. It has been set to not allow registration for weeks now.  I can't let anyone  join it. I am NOT php inclined. I want a captcha. I need something to prevent them. I will provide any information you want here in this thread if you can help.

Thanks

Re: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

Aha.

For Pun 1.2.* this is a popular, effective and easy to implement anti-spam mod that makes it harder for bots to register on your forum:
http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=503

For a CAPTCHA based antispam mod, search punres for 'captcha' and choose from many options.

But you may not need to use a CAPTCHA mod if the first one works OK for you. Suck it and see.

Re: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

i am 100% agree with you .

sirena wrote:
movingzachb wrote:

I want to know how I can ban .ru domains or mail.ru or gawab.com and all of these domains that spam keeps coming from.

Zach

Maybe it's just me, but could you be clearer about what you want to do?

Do you want to block spammers from registering on your forum?
Do you want stop spammy forum posts?

Specifically, do you mean:
(a) you have email verification turned on, and you want to ban users who attempt to register using *ru email addresses (or who supply *ru web addresses) when they register?
(b) you want to ban users who attempt to register from Russia or any other specific IP address range or domain entirely?
(c) you want to block posts that contain links to *ru or other spammy sites?

I am presuming (a), but it is hard to tell.

10 (edited by Visman 2014-07-03 06:49)

Re: Spam from .RU or mail.ru - how do i block this domain or ban it?

mohira, this topic became rotten long ago.

for 1.4.x: In hook em_fn_is_valid_email_start add code

if (preg_match('/\.(ru|su|pl)$/', $email))
  return false;
Parserus, UserAgentAnalyzer.
I speak only Russian  :P