1 (edited by Svend Torp 2017-03-17 13:48)

Topic: Does PunBB work on domains with special chars?

Hi guys,

I have a website with some special chars: http://www.eikbank.dk/sms-lan/ - its canonical is xn--lnpenge-exa.dk

Will PunBB run just fine on this domain, or will i have to use a domain without special characters?
I do not wish to use xn--lnpenge-exa.dk as this makes no sense to the visitor and looks really ugly.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Svend

Re: Does PunBB work on domains with special chars?

I'm going to go on a limb and say that due to the fact that some browsers cannot take the various extra characters that are not canonical. You could use it for that, however I'm sure that if you clicked on a link it would redirect to the canonical form (not making it so inconvenient for the users, just maybe a tad confusing at first).

I could be wrong however, but that is what I believe would happen. You can always give it a try on a testing folder and see what happens too.

Thanks KnownSyntax!

Seems like you are right, i just set the base url to the canonical url, and if the browser supports it, it then uses the "pretty url".

As per google guidelines, you should not used any special characters in your domain name. Try to make your domain as simple as you can. Happy!!!

In my opinoin only valid characters for a domain name are letters, numbers and a hyphen "-". Other special characters like the underscore "_" or an exclamation mark "!" are NOT permitted.

Thanks.

sophia123 wrote:

As per google guidelines, you should not used any special characters in your domain name. Try to make your domain as simple as you can. Happy!!!

I second this. When choosing a domain name, you need to keep the users in mind, not just the brand or image you are trying to portray. Almost no one searches for urls with special characters. You are really limiting yourself here.

No i dont think it works on domain with special characters.