Re: smilies - feedback please

hm. I still think D looks incredibly stupid - it looks like the teeth in a whale's mouth, and/or an insane psycho killer ...

at least C would be better, it resembles :D more than any of the others.

I really like B best, it has a nice fresh "graffitti" look, matches the style of the other smilies better.

But could we at least agree to settle for C then? I really, really, really dislike D :/

Yeah.. D looks like a whale. But why don't try to make it 3 or 2 teeth.. just try and see how it'll look.

tried that too of course, just looks like a sick teething baby or something - didn´t post them, cause they were even worse than "the whale" wink

Haha.. ok :D

... if you had to choose between B and C then?

I don't like any of them

well, I'm out of ideas.

... or maybe not quite, look again ...

updated A and D, added E.

also, I just noticed there's a :X smilie in the original PunBB set, so I guess one is required - I'm not sure what emotion it's supposed to express though, but I'm guessing a furious kind of anger? so here's four different alternatives for that, probably A or B is the best?

I prefer E.

dhdesign wrote:

I prefer E.

that stuff will rot your brain, believe me.

wink

My stupid remarks aside, I think I prefer E for the :D smiley too - given that I can't convince you all to love B, which is obviously the greatest ... I could settle for E.

Any preferences for :X ? ... I think I would choose A, but I would settle for B too.

Be sure to specify if you're voting for :D or :X !

For the :X, I like A.

:D - E
:X - B

:D = E
:X = B

okay, looks like we can agree on E for the big_smile smiley, and B for the :X smiley? (on second thought, for :X, I now like B better then A too)

so unless someone yells curses, I will declare the matter settled, and remove the other options?

Do people even use :X?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

92 (edited by Falconey 2004-07-29 08:07)

Yes they do :X

I use that one quite often.

Edit:
I like the A version of the :X smiley.

I just looked at PunBB's representation of this smiley, and I would have thought it means "furious" or at least "really, really angry". But now I can see that you're right, it does mean "sworn to secrecy" or "not saying anything".

But if existing PunBB posts already used it to express something else, smileys in those posts will make no sense if we change it.

Maybe that's only a minor problem, as not many people seem to use it in the first place...?

94 (edited by Razmooze 2004-06-15 22:10)

Well, I've made my own set of smileys... some are ripped (sorry for that) and some are my own.
Perhaps something of use?
click here
Unfortunately the smilies >:), >:( and O:) gets some funny characters after the smiley image. Dunno why tho.

Edit: fixed the old/dead link

No electrons were harmed in the creation of this post.
However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.

actually, all I'm missing to complete the set is the :X smiley, but I'm not too fond of the one in your set either...

96 (edited by Falconey 2004-06-09 13:11)

Razmooze, have you uncommented the line following this one:

// Uncomment the next row if you add smilies that contain any of the characters &"'<>

Its in parser.php just below the smileys array.

Don't like the :X smiley at your forum though, looks like a smiley with scissors pasted to its face.

97 (edited by Razmooze 2004-06-15 22:18)

Yep I did that! Seems all smilies that are put in front of the smile one are f***ed up. Hmmm..

// Here you can add additional smilies if you like (please note that you must escape singlequote and backslash)
$smiley_text = array('(:)', ':()', ']:)', '>:)', '>:(', '<:(', 'O:)', ':)', '=)', ':(', '=(', ':D', '=D', ';)', 
':x', ':X', ':rolleyes:', ':o)', ':O)', ':-o', ':-O', ';9', 'B)', ':p', ':P', ':/', ':lol:', ':|', ':heart:', 'x(', 
'X(', ':thup:', ':thdn:', ':alien:', '8p', '8P', ':*', ':_(', '&X', '|)'); 

$smiley_img = array('pig.gif', 'talkative.gif', 'evil.png', 'evil.png', 'mad.png', 'worried.gif', 'saint.png', 
'smile.png', 'smile.png', 'sad.png', 'sad.png', 'big_smile.png', 'big_smile.png', 'wink.png', 'shutup.png', 
'shutup.png', 'roll.png', 'cute.png', 'cute.png', 'shocked.png', 'shocked.png', 'slurp.png', 'cool.png', 'blah.png',
 'blah.png', 'doubtful.png', 'lol.png', 'serious.png', 'heart.gif', 'dead.png', 'dead.png', 'thup.gif', 'thdn.gif', 
'alien.gif', 'crazy.gif', 'crazy.gif', 'kisses.gif', 'sad.gif', 'skull.gif', 'tired.gif');

// Uncomment the next row if you add smilies that contain any of the characters &"'<>
$smiley_text = array_map('pun_htmlspecialchars', $smiley_text);

sorry for the linebreak.

------------------------------------
Well, I didn't like the original :x -smiley so i replaced it with a one that says something like "my lips are sealed". Thats the version I learned long long ago. For example see:
http://www.gojp.com/smilies/smilies.html

it is supposed to resemble a stitched-together mouth. Not very strange at all that you think it looks something scissor-like wink

Sooo... any thoughts on why I get this "bug"? Is it just my foolishness once more? tongue

99 (edited by Falconey 2004-07-29 08:13)

I use this at parser.php:

$smiley_text = array(':)', ':(', ';)', ':>', ':P', ':9', ':r', ':o', ':*)', '8)', ':+', ':D', ':7', ':O',
 ':/', ':|', 'B)', ':X', ';(', '_O_', '_/-\o_', ':?', ':z', ':Z', ':Y)', '})', ':w', ':W');

$smiley_img = array('smile.gif', 'frown.gif', 'wink.gif', 'puh.gif', 'puh2.gif', 'yummie.gif', 
'pukey.gif', 'redface.gif', 'shiny.gif', 'coool.gif', 'clown.gif', 'biggrin.gif', 'loveit.gif', 
'yawnee.gif', 'nosmile.gif', 'nosmile2.gif', 'nerd.gif', 'shutup.gif', 'sadley.gif', 
'worshippy.gif', 'worshippy.gif', 'confused.gif', 'sleephappy.gif', 'sleepey.gif', 'vork.gif', 
'devilish.gif', 'bye.gif', 'bye.gif');

Works just fine for me.

Kind of an overdate reply smile