1 (edited by Connorhd 2004-09-18 19:55)

Topic: [Beta] Rating Mod

My first mod think its all done now

##
##
##        Mod title:  Rating Mod
##
##      Mod version:  1.0
##   Works on PunBB:  1.1.5 (possibly other versions you might need to do some editing though...)
##     Release date:  2004-09-18
##           Author:  Connor Dunn (connorhd@gmail.com)
##
##      Description:  Allows users to rate posts with a bar and a + and - button
##
##   Affected files:  vote.php
##                    viewtopic.php
##              profile.php
##
##       Affects DB:  Yes
##
##            Notes:  Its not a beta anymore but still might have bugs ;)
##
##       DISCLAIMER:  Please note that "mods" are not officially supported by
##                    PunBB. Installation of this modification is done at your
##                    own risk. Backup your forum database and any and all
##                    applicable files before proceeding.
##
##

http://66.98.138.31/~connorhd/screenshot.gif

Download! - 1.0 New Install - Demo!

Re: [Beta] Rating Mod

thats an odd mod smile

would be cool if it rated the user and not the post it self tongue

yeh it will there will be a bar in the user profile which looks at their total votes for and against (i'm just to lazy to code it right now)

Ok, i'm doing the profile bit now, fixing the language on the redirect and making the html valid wink

its tight, so people cal show how much they like each mod, but i don't like where it is. and also maybe ther should be a record of who gave that person a + or a - , just  athought

its not so people can show if they like a mod its if they like a post, and recording who presses + and - would mean saving loads of stuff to the database and its only a small mod so why bother?

Probably his suggestion is for when people give bad score due to personal issues, and not what's in the post ... in the same way as in poll.

yeh i thought about that, but as its such a small mod its not really worth it, however i tihnk i'll add a reset button for admins on each post

ahh good idea, a reset button would be a great thing.
I like the code

Update: New version, have a look on the demo site, it gives the user a post rating in their profile, the language variables that should not have been there have gone (however all the text is hardcoded into the script not the language files yet), it is now valid html...

todo: add admin reset button for each post?,  add text to language file

anything else?

Can you just make it only admins can rate them... Just to nevigate their wrong doings this way...

~Beware of the Darkness Within~

12 (edited by Lothia 2004-09-05 09:13)

well zypher its to rate the post, then in the profile it gives there average rating of a all posts to pretty much show if they are giving good posts or not. It isn't to show whos good and bad, but if the posts are good and bad.
ANd connorhd it sounds like a great mod
EDIT: do u have it so each IP can vote only once per post or is it just update slow?

you cannot vote on a post twice in a row, but you can vote twice if someone else votes in between your votes, this stops massive spam of posts to get at peoples ratings and also doesn't create a huge database

14 (edited by simkin 2004-09-05 23:23)

Could a bar be added (equal than in profile) to show the user's rating but below the user name and user title in every post?
Very much smaller, of course, something like this:

<table class="punhead" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" style="width: 60px; height: 5px">
<tr class="punhead">
<td class="punhead" width="'.$vote['bar'].'%"></td>
<td class="puncon3"></td>
</tr></table>

http://img29.exs.cx/img29/4673/little_bar.png

It'd be very fine; please, can you add it, or explain me how to add it? I have no idea... @_@
Thanks, and sorry about my poor English...

yeh i like that looks very neat big_smile i'll add it on the next version

sim I like the look of that much more

splendid, I'll wait for the new version then smile

yeh sorry i'm a bit slow i just started college today and the new version needs quite a bit of editing as i named the tables the same in users and posts so i can't read them into the same variable or i don't think i can do i need to change it all :S but it should be done soon i have tomorrow off big_smile

Ok, sorry about the delay, i've added the bar below the nick (thx simkin looks great big_smile) and i've added a reset button for admins to prevent spam, if you need help upgrading cos the mysql will need changing manually tell me

looks nice. wink

Thanks to you, Connorhd!
I installed it yesterday... it look really nice.

Some future features could be:
- top rated, top voted posts?
- top "karma" users? or something in users list?

This are only some ideas in case you want to improve the features, right now for me It's perfectly all right as it is.
thx wink

yeh i was thinking about adding it to the memberlist, i dunno about top rated posts, first of all it would need a whole new script not just editing a current one, and also would it be that useful as posts by themselves are not usually very good without the rest of the topic, so unless you can think of a good way of displaying that i don't think i'll bother, the memberlist mod should be easy just a extra bit of code to userlist.php i think although i dunno about sorting it...

I think that this is a cool mod, but in my opinion it shouldn't be rating the posts themselves, but the topics. You should be able to rate the topic, and then show the average rating of topics on the viewforum.php. Otherwise, it's a good idea and it shows promise smile

This thing needs to come back!

Connor, can you reupload this? Id really like to use it.