Topic: Why I sometimes wish I had a Mac

Because if I did, I would encounter stuff like this much more seldomly:

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/ati/catcc/welcome.png

The person behind that GUI should be shot. What the hell is wrong with people? That much be one of the most horrible cases of "programmers art" I've ever seen in a graphical user interface. Sure, there are some that are worse (winamp skins come to mind), but this is from ATI. A company that claims to be in the forefront of technology. Releasing crap like that ought to be a crime.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Why I sometimes wish I had a Mac

it doesnt look that bad, but thats just my opinion. ive seen/made alot worse. just ask me for my first limewire skin wink .

Macs are ok, i dont know how to do as much stuff on them as i can on windows... i would switch to linux instead of windows, but for some odd reson i cant. is microsoft sneaking drugs into windows??

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Meh, set the skin to "OS Default" and the reasons for your whining go away.

You can? Hallelujah! I might not switch to nVidia after all.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Gary13579 wrote:

is microsoft sneaking drugs into windows??

YES

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

this has to be the worst tho, just kame to my mind when i saw that smile

http://penpen.se/awsomeinterface.jpg

MY EYES!

Nvidia is better anyway...

Do, or do not.

Wow! It's cool... I wish i had one too... *Looks away!*

~Beware of the Darkness Within~

pen, now that one is just bad.... the maker should be shot, repeaditly....

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Rickard wrote:

You can? Hallelujah! I might not switch to nVidia after all.

I take it you found it?  took me a couple minutes to track down the skin changer...*only option under preferances *which is odd**

I found it. I then uninstalled the software.

Rickard wrote:

I found it. I then uninstalled the software.

Reallly?  I was actually very impressed wih it.  I like the real-time view of changes to the display settings, etc.  Its not like it requires any overhead, i see no harm.

....i can argue the .NET thing, but ive got like 5 programs that use it on my system, and it seems like more and more daily, i gave up worring about the Framework.

I agree. The real-time view was good, but other than that, it didn't offer anything that I can't do in the control panel I already have installed (which doesn't occupy a lot of my resources). I hardly ever change any of my settings anyway, so it's overkill for me.

*puhleezz* do yourselves the glorious big sloppy favor and BUY A MAC.

Absolutely the kewlest stuff since sliced bread.  I know you Billy Box guys are sold on Linux, Windows, etc .... but Apple has got their stuff rightous with OSX.

And that ain't all .... just wait till Tiger comes out .... <devilish grin>

I would be willing to bet a months paycheck your giggle factor will increase ten-fold.

:>))

btw:  did I say I love Macs?  :>)

btw #2: Did I say Apple has the best development tools around?

Not only that, they are FREE - they come with each Mac you purchase, or software update you purchase.

I know, I know, everything is free for a nominal fee ... but when you consider Apple throwing in the dev tools for free ... that is worth something these days when you consider serious programming.

Raybo wrote:

Not only that, they are FREE - they come with each Mac you purchase, or software update you purchase.

I've heard they're great, but that sentence just made me laugh :)

hehe ...I thot that would wring a reply.  :>)

In taste, I did suface with "Everything Free for a Nominal Fee" <wink>

In all seriousness ... if you included the price of any system, plus the OS, plus other development tools of the same caliber, you would spend a lot of $$ to accomplish the same.  Xcode just rocks.  You can even use Applescript to build complete apps too.

I agree. Developer tools should be free. There's no defending Microsoft charging that much for Visual Studio. On the other hand, I don't think OS updates should cost anything either. In that sense, Microsoft does a better job than Apple.

Not to start a flame war, but you can develop for free to windows, just download the command line compilers, or packages like Open Watcom or LCC Win32.

Anti-Microsoft people usually forget to mention that also Microsoft have free stuff roll wink

Just FYI, updates to existing OS's are free from Apple, however just like Microsoft, Apple charges for a full version release [ie: Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, etc].

With respect to free development stuff for Windows, I did not know this, so that is good news.  I don't wish to start any platform wars either.  :>)

I guess my premise was that so many folks just don't 'get' Mac's in general, and therefore have a biased opinion - much of the time without even having sit in front of a Mac, let alone use one.

There are some great things you can do with Windows, and the same certainly applies to Macs.  Coming from the desktop/prepress industry, and using both systems, I would have to say I would prefer a Mac over Windows hands down.  Much, of course depends on what you're used to, and what you're doing [ie: development, php, web, graphics, etc].

I used to be pro Microsoft, everything running in a Windows world.

Then I switched to Linux, the Penguin everywhere.

Since then I've settled down to the real world. I now run a Windows XP workstation and a Linux server.

In the future I see a G5 workstation for myself, Windows XP, Linux and OSX desktops sprinkled about and a Linux server for my websites.

Raybo wrote:

Just FYI, updates to existing OS's are free from Apple, however just like Microsoft, Apple charges for a full version release [ie: Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, etc].

True, but then again, a lot of what was new in those "full version releases" was stuff OSX really should have had built-in from the start.

Apple's releases over the last few years:
2001-04-24 - 10.0 (Cheetah)
2001-09-25 - 10.1 (Puma) (free upgrade though)
2002-08-24 - 10.2 (Jaguar)
2003-10-24 - 10.3 (Panther)
2005-??-?? - 10.4 (Tiger)

Microsoft's releases over the last few years:
2001-10-25 - Windows XP
2006-??-?? - Longhorn

I'm not saying not releasing anything new for 5 years is a good thing. It just puts things in perspective. Staying up to date on MacOS X has been more expensive over the last few years.

I don't want to turn this into a Windows vs. MacOS battle either. I like Macs and I would love to have one. What I don't like are Mac zealots. I'm not saying you are one, it's just that experience tells me about half of all Mac users are :)

Oh, BTW. I'm in no way "pro Microsoft". I think Windows XP is a good workstation OS, but that's as far as I will go. I also think MacOS X is a good workstation OS. Why anyone would ever want to run Windows or MacOS X on a server is beyond me though.

Can only agree with you all ... I have an XP 'workstation' and a win2k gameserver, and a debian webserver ... on the univ I mostly use Sun Solaris machines(lots of CAD, simulations and such things, with extreme software package combinations) ... and there's a couple of Macs on some places on the univ aswell, mostly at the design areas.

So, it's all what you do, that should set what you should run ... Microsoft has been 'lucky' that so many software developers have decided to choose their OS for their products, could have been different...