Re: PunBB 1.2 development source

the scrollbars for the code is interesting better than it messing up the forum shape big_smile

also is the online / offline text meant to be alligned to the bottom of the user info?

Connorhd wrote:

also is the online / offline text meant to be alligned to the bottom of the user info?

Yes, it is.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Regarding the smiley problem. Are smilies enabled at all? (admin/options).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

yes and they say they are on next to the quick post, this was using defualt settings, you can check it out if you like the site and admin user and pass are in a eariler post

Did the fix I proposed for the guest post problem help?

sorry i missed that post cos of the 3rd page, yeh that fixed it big_smile

Connorhd wrote:

the scrollbars for the code is interesting better than it messing up the forum shape big_smile

Try posting a long string without any spaces as normal text. It should just get chopped off without messing up the layout.

Ok, I'm thinking about the smiley problem.

Juan.Llanos: Do you have the same problem? I.e. smilies aren't displayed at all?

Paul wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

Try posting a long string without any spaces as normal text. It should just get chopped off without messing up the layout.

hmmm it cuts it off but if you drag your mouse along it it scrolls, should it not wrap it?

works in a quote box as well

Connorhd: how can it wrap, there are no white spaces to wrap on. Try posting the same string here (and in most other forums) and see what happens.

PS. Well done, I see you've just discovered an actual bug.

oh yeh it doesn't in IE

its in FF it scrolls, but it still looks cool when its scrolls big_smile

Rickard... smilies, i found out why, when you quickpost for some reason it chooses do not show smilies in this post

Ah, thansk. I'll fix it.

Edit: Fixed.

Updated the download archive. News since the last dev release:

2004-09-10
""""""""""
*  Post errors (such as missing subject, flood protection, invalid BBCode
   etc.) are now displayed above the post new message form instead of on it's
   own page. This prevents the old "go back and notice the 10K post you just
   wrote is gone problem". Reported by CodeDuck and Andy.

2004-09-08
""""""""""
*  Added post preview.

2004-09-07
""""""""""
*  Removed the generic JavaScript that disables submit buttons upon form
   submittal. The code is now placed directly in the onsubmit event handler
   of the affected forms. Should shave off a few bytes in quite a few files.
*  Prettied up the code for form field auto focus and required form field
   validation.
*  Fixed subscriptions not being removed when deleting topics. Reported by
   paolo.
*  Rewrote topic reply counting code to be less error prone. The reply count
   for a topic is now re-calculated whenever a post is added or removed.

2004-09-06
""""""""""
*  Added checkbox to delete user confirmation form that sets whether all
   posts made by the user should be deleted as well.
*  Created functions delete_post() and delete_topic() in functions.php. The
   functionality was taken from delete.php which after this change is much
   smaller. The new functions will also be used in profile.php when deleting
   all posts by a user.

2004-09-05
""""""""""
*  Added check to install.php that makes sure the cache directory is
   writable.

2004-09-04
""""""""""
*  Added table collision check to install.php. Thanks to Smartys for
   suggestion.

On top of that, a lot of markup and CSS tweaks by Paul.

Rickard:
do you have plan to support full "Right to Left" for some language like arabic and other langs (hebrew , iran etc..)?

Like: when Choose Left align for a Cell it must be Right align in "right to left", it is hard to make mod for modifying that.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

All the text alignment is set in the stylesheet so it should be easy enough to change. Table cell widths are also set in the stylesheet. It should also be possible to reverse the position of some elements just using the stylesheet e.g. by changing float:left to float:right.

Whilst it is possible to reverse the appearance of a table what you cannot do is change the order in which the contents appears, not unless you make which content goes in which cell conditional on the language direction.

I can change style sheet "punright" to be left align, but i think it's not leagal way, because there word "right" in fact it is left, i use in my project work (delphi) "side" word for that e.g. "SideCol".

OK that not resolve my problem, i not want to change style sheet because i will lose the language for every user (feature in 1.2). may be you can make another style sheet "punleft" as like "punright" but left, and changes will be in code as example

example:
  viewtopic.php  -> "punright"   to  <?php echo $lang_common['lang_align'] ?>

before
<table class="punspacer" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="4">
        <tr>
                <td style="width: 46%"><?php echo $lang_common['Pages'].': '.$pages ?></td>
                <td class="punright" style="width: 35%"><?php echo $subscraction ?></td>
                <td class="punright" style="width: 19%"><b><?php echo $post_link ?></b></td>
        </tr>
</table>

after

<table class="punspacer" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="4">
        <tr>
                <td style="width: 46%"><?php echo $lang_common['Pages'].': '.$pages ?></td>
                <td class="<?php echo $lang_common['lang_align'] ?>" style="width: 35%"><?php echo $subscraction ?></td>
                <td class="<?php echo $lang_common['lang_align'] ?>" style="width: 19%"><b><?php echo $post_link ?></b></td>
        </tr>
</table>

i can do the replace all by using Far program, but with many mod that "making pain to my brain"
there is many easy thing make full suport "right to left" i can post it here or somewhere else.

thanks

The new stylesheet is totally different. There is no equivelant of punright or punleft.

For example to right align all table cells you would use this
TD, TH {text-align:right)

To right align all the TD elements on the index page you would use #idx TD {text-align:right}

To right align ust the right hand column on the viewforum page you would use
#vf TD.tcr {text-align:right}

I have used the terms right and left in a couple of places though. I will make sure to change that.

Heres what the css looks like which sets up the index main table.

/****** Index Main Table Setup ******/
#idx TD, #idx TH {WHITE-SPACE: nowrap}
#idx .tcl {WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center}
#idx .tc1, #idx .tcat {TEXT-ALIGN: left; WHITE-SPACE: normal}
#idx .tc2, #idx .tc3 {WIDTH: 7%; TEXT-ALIGN: center}
#idx .tcr {WIDTH: 25%; TEXT-ALIGN: left}

Basically what I've done is to use class names and id's just to identify a board element rather than to indicate the way it is styled. I can't see why changing the text -alignment of any particular element would cause problems.

The only problem to overcome is that you need to change the content of table cells for different displays. For example, the first cell on index is the new post icon, on RTL it would be last post. You would need to do something like this

<TD>
  if LTR display
       icon goes here
  else
      last post goes here
</TD>

Ah! My brain has just started working. The problem is that each user can select their own language in PunBB 1.2. What if one user picks Swedish and another Hebrew. You need to switch stylesheets depending on the direction of the chosen language. Not difficult. The answer is to put all style information which is directional in a small seperate styelsheet. Make two versions of that styelsheet and switch them automatically depending on which language is selected. The only code change required would be a small addition to header.php. Whether the boss man wants that to be a standard feature is another matter big_smile.

Shouldn't be a problem, but won't that mean that there will be duplicates of all CSS files? One for ltr and one for rtl?

Rickard wrote:

Shouldn't be a problem, but won't that mean that there will be duplicates of all CSS files? One for ltr and one for rtl?

No. With two stylesheets only the structural stylesheet would be duplicated. There is no need to duplicate the stylesheet which sets up the colour scheme etc. With three stylesheets you could seperate out the directional stuff into it's own small stylesheet and just duplicate that. It would mean putting all the stylesheets into the header though rather than using import in one of the stylesheets, not that it actually makes any difference.

I can't think of an alternative though. Once user selectable languages are on offer the situation is bound to arise sometime where both ltr and rtl languages are on offer. Something that didn't occur to me until I saw zaher's post.

But how would e.g. Oxygen.css know whether to include the ltr or rtl base stylesheet?

i updated my testing forums for anyone whos insterested in looking but too lazy to install http://66.98.138.31/~connorhd/pundev/

i like the post errors box thing, would it be possible that all redirect pages appear as a box at the top instead of refreshing to the next page?

Rickard wrote:

But how would e.g. Oxygen.css know whether to include the ltr or rtl base stylesheet?

It wouldn't. Rather than using import in the stylesheet you would output the names of the directional stylesheet to the page header e.g. 

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/Lithium.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/import/punbase_rtl.css">

Thats why I suggested that it was easy to implement because all that needs to happen is for header.php to determine whether to output punbase_ltr.css or punbase_rtl.css based on the choice of language.

On the other hand. This is something that can be looked at later. There is no urgency. It could even be a very simple mod because the number of people who are going to need this is probably quite small.

Not that i want to rush you but do you have any idea when 1.2 will be out? or is it just as long as it takes to finish...

Paul: Agreed. I believe the number of forums that will be using both LTR and RTL language packs at the same time are quite few.

Connorhd wrote:

Not that i want to rush you but do you have any idea when 1.2 will be out? or is it just as long as it takes to finish...

The latter.

Just, i like to make PunBB (officaly) more powerfull than other Forums.
it is my "obsession" to make every thing Full RightToLeft  sneak it (the Toolbar)

Paul wrote:

There is no urgency

That is ture, using two stylesheet it is temporary resolve the problem and it's good.
i asked if there is a plan, for that i must study punbb 1.2 before making any changes and post it with first release 1.2
BTW PunBB still my first choice smile