Topic: New 170'000+ posts forum at PunBBig!

I recently approved a new forum on PunBBig: forum.zaanzone.nl. It currently has 170'000+ posts, and it's the largest (that I'm aware of) PunBB-forum in the world! It's more than twice as big as the forum on the second position, Legends forum.

With this new board, the total post-count for all Punbb-boards passed 1'000'000!

See the list and more info at PunBBig.shacknet.nu.

Re: New 170'000+ posts forum at PunBBig!

Whohoo! I'm gonna celebrate this tonight. I'm not kidding :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Very impressive : PunBB seems to have no limits about requests smile perfect

What a pity (one more time) copyrights have been removed ...

But amazing however ....

4 (edited by pen 2004-09-15 15:05)

noo, my forum has jumped down to fourth place sad

still awsome, congratz smile

and this forum is getting near to 20,000 which is also pretty impressive

Update: As expected, the Zaanzone Forum also took the top position in the 'Most new posts per day'-list from Norwegian Nintendo-forum (~600 compared to ~400).

hmm... I woner how many posts that aren't listed? wink
(and therefore what the 'real' postcount on the PunBB boards are big_smile)
My biggest closed forum has these stats (and it's no convert either wink), but as it's closed no need to put it on the statistics ... just to show that there are probably alot of posts that aren't reported to PunBBig wink

9 registered users, 646 topics and 9319 posts

also i guess 90% of forums are only small and don't get noticed but together they make a big total

9 (edited by Lothia 2004-09-18 07:48)

Congratz on bumping us down to 2

Thnxs big_smile i'm one of the owners of zaanzone, the only bad thing we are expering is the hi load in the mysql DB.

mrdjey wrote:

Thnxs big_smile i'm one of the owners of zaanzone, the only bad thing we are expering is the hi load in the mysql DB.

what he meaninging is  experiencing

lolz its getting late big_smile

nighty night By F.U.B.A.R (one of the owners of Zaanlan.nl)
www.Zaanlan.nl

mrdjey: Then imagine what the load would be if you were running e.g. phpBB :)

BTW, you say you have problems with the MySQL load. Have you tweaked your MySQL configuration to suit your particular hardware?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

what i know of the zaanzone hardware is that its not the best / newest hardware they have tongue (some old machine pIII ibeleve

Ok, but still, configuring MySQL properly can make a huge difference. The default configuration is not exactly excellent for high load environments.

Rickard wrote:

The default configuration is not exactly excellent for high load environments.

Is there a how-to on this?

noo... cant.... breath....

Legends forum is now in second place, this hurts, bad....

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

hcgtv: There's a topic on it in the "Server Configuration" forum in the vbulletin support forums.

link ?

Here's a good link:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Optim … erver.html

Thanks, I can't wait for Debian Sarge so I can play around with Mysql 4.

I'm one of the 2 Server Administrators / Programmers at ZaanZone.nl, we've got everything as optimized as possible and it's not the forum that's costing the most load on the server(s).. Our mainsite is the problem for this..

To be honest I didn't even know we submitted zaanzone to the PunBBiglist... I'm curious if the punbbig.php is settled on our server smile.. Anyways,

We do have some other problems with the forum I would like to discuss with you Rikard, so if you could give me a different way I could contact you in some "private" manner, then please mail this to deimos@zaanzone.nl

In my opinion PunBB is one of the best out there, a lot better then PhPBB etc. We tried those and it cost about 10 gig of datatraffic a day, which is not affortable for a forum..

Well Rikard, I certainly hope you will supply a way I could contact you.. Since I allready tried this a few times I know you're a hard one to catch wink

Deimos wrote:

To be honest I didn't even know we submitted zaanzone to the PunBBiglist... I'm curious if the punbbig.php is settled on our server :)..

Someone did it anyway :) It's not installed, there's a download-link and information here

Deimos wrote:

We do have some other problems with the forum I would like to discuss with you Rikard, so if you could give me a different way I could contact you in some "private" manner, then please mail this to deimos@zaanzone.nl

Ohh, secret problems? ;)

Deimos: "You've got mail"

You can submit forum's without having to upload the punbbig.php

Yes I know (I assume you did not read the red text above the form...). PunBBig can fetch information without using the punbbig-parser too, but only if the forum isn't modded.