Topic: new local web server

I would like to install a web server for my R&D of web applications in my home. I want your valuable suggestions..
Give me the cheap(cost wise) & best solution.

Which will be the best processor to install and run Linux/Apache/PHP/MySql/PgSql/...
and what will be the basic requirements I have to meet.

Thanks in Adv.

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

Re: new local web server

I run Windows2000/Apache/PHP/MySql in my computer CPU 350 MH, RAM 128 MB, and work good for me.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

you are having only one system or is it networked with any other?

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

One system inmy home, my work i have Domain,
Linux not popular in my country.

I have a P3-450 with 300 something MB memory. It runs Gentoo Linux with the 2.6 kernel. Installed and active apps är Apache, MySQL, bind, vsftpd, samba and sshd. It's the computer that hosts punbb.org actually. What I'm trying to get at: Don't overdo it. For local web development you can get away with pretty much any hardware. I used to run this on a Pentium 200 and it worked great.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

6 (edited by zaher 2004-09-24 09:22)

Gentoo Linux
I Plan switch to Linux, Using and Programming(Pascal), is Gentoo good for that.
i heard about "Red Hat" and "Susi" ?

If you're new to linux you'd be better off using Fedora (red hat), Mandrake or Suse. Those distro's give you a simple installation gui to choose what you'd like to install.

I can only give you one simple advice about linux: read a lot, like manpages, howto's, etc.

Yes I am new, but I have worked in UNIX, I would like to use RedHat.
I am having a 486PC-100Mhz with 32MB RAM and also PIII-550Mhz with 128MB RAM.

My current setup PentiumPro 200mhz, 128mb ram, 4gb scsi.

Debian Woody, hosting 4 dynamic sites and 3 forums.

Any old machine will do for development.

I have a windows 2000 server with Apache and mysql. Dual P2 400s with a gig of ram; stable, fast, and easy to set up.

I like soup.

Do any one have the config with Redhat Linux? for the same... PHP/Apache/MySQL.

Desktop
AMD Athlon 1800+
256mb RAM
40gb HD
Windows XP SP 1 (Have got slackware on it, but no server configured yet)
Apache 2.0
PHP 4.3
MySQL 3.23

Very quick

Laptop
Pentium II 400mhz
128mb RAM
20gb HD
Windows 98SE
Abyss Web Server
PHP 4.3
MySQL 4

Easily fast enough for development

Abyss is very easy to use and is very small. If you can't be arsed to configure Apache, use Abyss.

http://www.aprelium.com

CAn I use PHP/Apache/Mysql under windows 98. Do anyone using like this. any licensing issues related to Apache.

Coz when i installed Apache in Win98, I seen the warning message:

WARNING
Apache should never be used as a production server under any consumer operating system such as Windows 95, 98, or ME (Millennium Edition).  Only Windows NT 4.0 or 2000 should be considered, and only with appropriate NTFS file system and user security administration. Apache runs on these consumer Windows environments only to provide test, development or trusted intranet server platforms.

I really couldnt understand. can anyone brief it.?

I have two servers in my closet (both remotely controlled, so I never go in there big_smile)
Win machine
Intel P2 Celeron 540MHz
256MB RAM
1 40GB splitted in 2 partitions, first with NTFS, and some 10GB FAT32(a game that refused to run on NTFS)
Win 2k
OpenSA (a bundled package of Apache, mysql, php, ssl etc.   Unfortunately seems to be dead nowadays)

Primary use: Dedicated Multiplayer server for carsims. Web part going down when I find time to move those last few things over to my webserver big_smile

Linux Machine
Dual P2 Celeron 300a @ 450MHz (50% overclocked, stable, no extra cooling needed, lol)
256MB RAM
~40GB in hdds (2 drives IIRC big_smile)
Debian, Woody (the stable version)
Apache/1.3.26
PHP/4.1.2
Mysql/3.23.49

Primary use: Web and local fileserver.

I used Redhat on my linux server at the beginning, but the computer started to lock up (or be very occupied with something), so I got tired of it eventually, and de-installed Redhat, and installed the Stable Debain package instead, and I have never ever had the same problems.

why can't i have such a nice setup sad especially the linux machine

well, when you upgrade, just let things stack up on a shelf somewhere, sooner or later there are enough parts to build a new computer, that's the case for both my servers ... or ... 'my' servers is more correct, most of the parts in the windows server is my brothers, and most parts in 'my' linux server is mine ... I upgraded a year ago, and as I needed to upgrade so much, I almost had everything I needed... except an atx case, so my bro carved and glued a paper box instead, no problems so far big_smile

well my dad does that and he has 3 "test" pcs but i only have one sad

Dual PIII 600 Mhz
512MB SDRAM
3x36GB SCSI HDD
FreeBSD 4.7 Stable
Apache/2.0.49
PHP/4.3.6
MySQL/3.23.53

You mean to say that, I have to use APACHE/MySQL/PHP etc in win2K/NT or linux only? Coz i dont have licensed version of Win2000/XP and i am using windows98 here.

you can run apache in windows or linux

Yes, I know that we can run Apache in win & linux, But i am particular about using it in Windows98.

22 (edited by Connorhd 2004-10-16 11:24)

have you tried? i suggest you try and see...

http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/php4install.shtml php on win98

I wouldn't recommend anyone to use win98 as a server though ... win2k and later have better memory handling, so you shouldn't need to restart the server every now and then, like you need with win98
(and wasn't it win98 that only could run for like 54 days or something before the clock 'flipped', or was that win95?)

but if you plan on using the server as a dedicated server for games, then there's usually not that much of a choise what OS to run wink

Thanks alot Connorhd, but i am unable to find "php4apache.dll" as what they specified in the site "http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/php4install.shtml" where can i get those dlls. any Idea

You can find php4apache.dll in the "sapi" subdirectory (eg, "c:\Windows\Temp\php-4.2.3-Win32\sapi\" in our above example).

just search your hard disk for it if you can't find it