Topic: PunCMS

ok, a big idea here please give me any thoughts, ideas, anything big_smile

I was thinking about creating a basic CMS based on the punbb forum, basically take the page generation, admin and user system from punbb, port the forum into a "module" (like other modules except compulsory) , then have options for modules and blocks, develop some kind of page manager to organise the blocks and general layout, create a installation system for blocks and modules for setting up mysql, create the PM mod as a module, (coppermine as a module? or maybe a punphotoalbum wink), a weblinks module (has been requested), a shoutbox block (also requested i think), a irc chatroom module, download module?, a homepage / news module (news posted via admin and also imported from the forum), some kind of html module (to allow for custom pages)

might be best waiting for 1.2 if i do decide to make it i don't think it will be too hard, as punbb has all the basic stuff, but most sites don't just want a forum and this would be a simple way to have a punbb site, i would try to keep it all valid formatting and keep the php nice, and also things like chatrooms, weblinks, photo albums seem to work better as modules rather than fully integrated.

phew big post over wink

Re: PunCMS

I would certainly wait for 1.2 unless you have a burning desire to do everything twice smile

That sounds like a lot of work, it's like if I want to take Nucleus, my CMS, and use it to create a forum with it.

My approach is to take best of breed apps and make them work better together. I already have Nucleus and PunBB working together and will add a gallery module soon.

Creating your own PunCMS means that you will have to support this new CMS for the life of it's existance, rather than just maintain the bridges between the apps.

Paul wrote:

I would certainly wait for 1.2 unless you have a burning desire to do everything twice smile

yeh tongue

hcgtv, i like a challenge wink also would be pretty cool to have a full site in the punbb style...

Connorhd wrote:

hcgtv, i like a challenge ;) also would be pretty cool to have a full site in the punbb style...

Ok, I say go for it then.

If speed is an issue, then check out the latest benchmarks on CMS apps:
http://www.english.rk.edu.pl/cms_benchmark.html

I think its a good idea..  then i wont have to redo all the work i did for my site when 1.2 comes smile I still use 1.1.1, hehe (although with a few of the fixes)..

i'd use it for sure. go for it.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

hcgtv wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

hcgtv, i like a challenge wink also would be pretty cool to have a full site in the punbb style...

Ok, I say go for it then.

If speed is an issue, then check out the latest benchmarks on CMS apps:
http://www.english.rk.edu.pl/cms_benchmark.html

well i would think it would be pretty fast, i'm not going to add too much to punbbi don't think, just reorganise the code and create a couple of management systems

Well after a late night coding session between myself and a fellow Nucleus developer, we have a skin to show as proof of concept.

Tested in Firefox 0.9.3, 1.0pr and IE 6 on WinXP. Fellow Mac users, let me know if there are any issues.

The PunBB cloned skin: http://hcgtv.org

hcgtv wrote:

Well after a late night coding session between myself and a fellow Nucleus developer, we have a skin to show as proof of concept.

Tested in Firefox 0.9.3, 1.0pr and IE 6 on WinXP. Fellow Mac users, let me know if there are any issues.

You are using Douglas Livingstones negative margin technique. I tried this with viewtopic.php for PunBB 1.2 and found it suffers from a fatal flaw in internet explorer.  Try dragging the browser width and watch the left column.
http://www.post21.co.uk/PunNuc.jpg

Other than that, really cool.

Try this for your 3 columns, really better
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layo … index.html

Paul wrote:

You are using Douglas Livingstones negative margin technique. I tried this with viewtopic.php for PunBB 1.2 and found it suffers from a fatal flaw in internet explorer.  Try dragging the browser width and watch the left column.

The Evil Empire strikes again, will look into it. Firefox seems to handle it just fine.

Rod wrote:

Try this for your 3 columns, really better
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layo … index.html

Thats a nice layout if you need three variable content columns with three full height different colours. There are much simpler layouts if the background is all one colour (white in this case.). All it needs is fixed width right and left floats with equivelent right and left margins on the content column; unless of course you want source ordered columns.

hcgtv wrote:

looks nice... ecxept in IE and except its still 1.1.5 style not 1.2

Connorhd wrote:

looks nice... ecxept in IE and except its still 1.1.5 style not 1.2

We're working on IE issues, the skin will have two styles: 1.1.5 and 1.2.

Change font-size to larger and the column to the right will move to the bottom of the page.

Myran wrote:

Change font-size to larger and the column to the right will move to the bottom of the page.

Which it does in IE5 at medium size.

hcgtv: now you know why 1.2 is taking so long. Thou toils all night and in the light of day it rendereth funky.

Paul wrote:

hcgtv: now you know why 1.2 is taking so long. Thou toils all night and in the light of day it rendereth funky.

Your point hits home, it looks good in Firefox in the dead of night and then the IE hordes attack :)

But we're working on new markup, should have something to show soon.

Paul wrote:

Thou toils all night and in the light of day it rendereth funky.

I usually don't say this, but LOL! :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard: what do you think about the punCMS idea and do you mind me like messing with your code and calling it pun...

Go ahead. Just don't forget to release it under the GPL. Regarding the name, I can't really say. If it turns out great, I have no problem at all with you calling it PunCMS, but who know, it might turn out horrible and then I won't like it so much. Not a lot I can do about it though :) Perhaps you can just hold off on the naming?

Connorhd wrote:

... but most sites don't just want a forum and this would be a simple way to have a punbb site ...

That's true, but the question is, do people want an all-encompassing product that is capable of everything or do they want a series of smaller apps that integrate with ease and efficiency?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

That's true, but the question is, do people want an all-encompassing product that is capable of everything or do they want a series of smaller apps that integrate with ease and efficiency?

Depends on the person, if they have much time to spend and know their stuff they probably prefer a series of smaller apps where they can choose what they want themselves. But for people with little knowledge or little time to spend on it a big one is probably much better.

Myran wrote:

Depends on the person, if they have much time to spend and know their stuff they probably prefer a series of smaller apps where they can choose what they want themselves. But for people with little knowledge or little time to spend on it a big one is probably much better.

You're probably right. Next question: Which of these audiences does PunBB target? :D

Except, if somebody has little knowledge and little time and doesn't want all the functionality they are going to find it harder to use because they have to wade through all the stuff they don't want.

ok, i'll hold off on the naming, last thing i want to do is annoy you after borrowing (stealing) your code wink even if it is GPL etc, also my idea is not for it to come with everything but more of a set of "building blocks" which you can choose to put together the site you want, eg the most basic download would be punbb + portal, up to all the modules included, i'm trying to think of the best way of making it scaleable without restricting features.

i know alot of punbb people are good with php etc and can mod it to their needs, but this is more to tailor for people who need more of a GUI  approach for adding stuff (or are to lazy wink)