26 (edited by middleground 2004-09-09 00:14)

Re: Why I sometimes wish I had a Mac

Rickard wrote:

True, but then again, a lot of what was new in those "full version releases" was stuff OSX really should have had built-in from the start.

Apple's releases over the last few years:
2001-04-24 - 10.0 (Cheetah)
2001-09-25 - 10.1 (Puma) (free upgrade though)
2002-08-24 - 10.2 (Jaguar)
2003-10-24 - 10.3 (Panther)
2005-??-?? - 10.4 (Tiger)

Microsoft's releases over the last few years:
2001-10-25 - Windows XP
2006-??-?? - Longhorn

They have been trying to get all they can out of the 10.xxx series (guess Mac OS-X just isn't as cool at 11.xx). I think 10.2 is up to 10.2.8

I love my macs, but make my money from windows. I think I'd be rather unhappy if stuck with only one of them.

As a note- agree the upgrade path on OS-X has been expensive. I remember the days when Apple only charged for .0 and .5 release, now every .1 is getting a bit much. Agree also- a lot of it is unfinished work in the earlier ones. None the less, no activation codes, so buy it once and can load it on all my 3 macs....

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

True :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Mac rules! smile It's really anoying, after being on mac for a while to see those lousy graphics made by "the top graphic designers"... you'd think they could make a little more effort, considering the market and the amount of money it's worth...

Microsoft is the worst... the biggest example of it's outrageous stupidity is the welcome message when you log into windows XP... how muck work could it have taken to smooth out the font in "welcome" ?

It's the little details that make great things. Mac OSX is down to scratch, and it is still in development!

well, thanks for bumping a almost 2 month old topic, but i somewhat agree with you. MS sucks, but i dont really like Mac.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Gary13579 wrote:

well, thanks for bumping a almost 2 month old topic, but i somewhat agree with you. MS sucks, but i dont really like Mac.

I couldn't help but wonder ... why is it you don't like Macs?

I'm not trying to start any flame wars, just curious.  :>)

well, all through elemtrey school, i was "forced" to use Macs. of cource, at school, you cant really do anything on them. every other computer ive ever had has been a PC. i have one Macintosh, and its sitting under my PC, because it doesnt work.

i guess the main reason is i have no clue how to do anything on it, while i know quite a bit on PCs.

Indocron

Gary13579 wrote:

well, all through elemtrey school, i was "forced" to use Macs.

That could be a good reason.  Chances are, the Mac's at school weren't very great Macs to begin with, aside from the fact they choke them down - preventing students to do much. [other than protocol]

Gary13579 wrote:

Of cource, at school, you cant really do anything on them. every other computer ive ever had has been a PC. i have one Macintosh, and its sitting under my PC, because it doesnt work.

Really? What model Mac?

Gary13579 wrote:

i guess the main reason is i have no clue how to do anything on it, while i know quite a bit on PCs.

Ahh ... there ya go!  The Macintosh OS is very easy to understand and use.  Don't discount, or take one's word at "not enough software is available for Macs" - which is pure hogwash and garbage.  There are tons of *very* kewl software apps available for the Mac; and that was when Macs were running OS 9.  Today, the latest OS is OSX.

OSX is a totally different animal, based on a Unix foundation running the Mack Kernal.  There has been much discussion about the Development Tools that come with the Mac [or when you purchase the OS software separately or buy a Mac].  I won't go into what is good or bad about software updates, etc, only to say Xcode Rocks.  Applescript Studio allows you to build complete apps using Xcode, repleat with fabulous GUI's and it's free.  Windows can't even come close to this, at least not currently.

In summation, please don't discount Mac's based on your 'school' experience.  Find a good bud who uses a Mac and he/she will not only show you how it's a killer OS/machine - but why.  :>)

the Mac is an old PowerPC (i think...). even if it worked, i probally wouldnt use it. its 8.somethin.somethin.....

yes, with the realease of OSX, i started liking Mac alot more. its much cleaner and easier to use. i still dread the days of using the old 9.x.x at my school....

Indocron

I would kill for a proper Powerbook.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I want one of these: http://www.apple.com/powermac/

With it I can do web developement and host my sites at the same time.

I had a Powerbook G4 - brand new right when it came out last year. The school I was working for bought it for me smile Unfortunately, I had to give it back when I left sad

It was VERY nice.

Do you love physics? :) http://www.ilovephysics.com
Interested in Internet Marketing? http://www.keyliberty.com

I'm Jones'n for one of these: http://www.apple.com/imac/ (the 20 inch)....
But it is my eMac and iBook for now- more pratical for the time being....but the giving holiday just around the corner.... smile

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

I'm running an eMac right now, and I love it! Apple finally came out with a computer that was affordable and performance is great. Of course, I'd like to have that powerbook back.

Do you love physics? :) http://www.ilovephysics.com
Interested in Internet Marketing? http://www.keyliberty.com

39 (edited by mi 2004-10-22 17:42)

Rickard wrote:

Why anyone would ever want to run Windows or MacOS X on a server is beyond me though.

I am running MacOS X _Server_. Different from Client, in tons of ways, although one can hardly tell. The underpinnings and a few GUIs are made with all opensource *nix stuff, and makes for a 100% stable server with most excellent services in one box. The GUIs are used 99-100% of the time, even the DNS server settings. Some very few obscure things need changing of text config files, if you have needs beyond standard installations.
-mailserver
-webserver
-dns server
-quicktime streaming server
-apple and windows file server with rendevous
-ftp server
-etc etc - i run most everything on it.
i think its a 1000 dolares, unlimitet users, no further outlay for anything, ever

funny thing about it is, that you run EVERY regular mac osx client software on it! so i edit dv-video in final cut pro, all the way to authoring and burning excellent dvd-s ready for any dvd player. but main thing - i have _never_ needed to restart the box! ALL just runs, and all is configurable remotely. one old term comes to mind for it: Turnkey solution. For the younger ones, that means "Turn the key" (to turn it on, like old IBM/Compaq/HP servers) - "then throw the key away" wink

ps
really like your tag-line wink

New Friendly web-shop! • SO happy with PunBB! • Now punBB 1.4.x on ALL forums (won't tell how many or their addresses to avoid spam-regs)

I had hesitated before, but since everyone is jumping in, I guess I better too. <smiles>

* I'm running MacOS9 on a G4 Dual 550 mhz - Actually, this is my main production machine!
If it's been written for OS9, chances are it's been installed, is running, or is archived.  :>)

* OSX Panther 10.3 on a 1.2 gighz machine. [which incidentally runs 10.4 Tiger on a separate partition :>)].

I have installed everything you can think of on this box.  I do all my music on this machine, as well as have all the "Complete" series of installers [ie: Complete Apache, Complete PHP, Complete mySQL].  When I need to run/test something on my local box that requires php programming, I use this box.

I can boot directly into Tiger, and use all the kewl stuff that Tiger provides [which in my case is writing Automator Actions]

Tiger?  How do you say 'whooohoo!!'?? :>)

* A little iMac we use for our billing and invoicing running OSX 10.3 Panther.  Also, we have prescribed this box for all of our photo library for my wife and I.

* A g3 iBook, running Panther, that I bought for my wife.  We love this thing - and often take it with us on trips. [watch DVD's. php development, etc, etc].

I just sold a Dual 450 to a Printing Firm - i set it up expressly for doing desktop/prepress.

With my background coming from the prepress world, I have used both Macs and Billy Boxes.  In those cases where we ran software RIPs, much of the time we used PC's with only the installation for the RIP itself and nothing else.  The reasoning behind this is only because we could rape stores for cheap IBM machines and run Win2000 or XP.  Obviously, we never bothered using a Billy Box for desktop/design/prepress work.

hcgtv wrote:

I want one of these: http://www.apple.com/powermac/

drooool

These things can *definitely* increase your giggle factor. :>)

Raybo wrote:

Absolutely the kewlest stuff since sliced bread.  I know you Billy Box guys are sold on Linux, Windows, etc .... but Apple has got their stuff rightous with OSX.

Bah, you have never used a correctly configured GNU/Linux system before.

Bah, IIS and MSSQL... -_-

43 (edited by Connorhd 2004-11-09 13:26)

has anyone ever managed to correctly configure a linux system before?

Connorhd wrote:

Hand raised in the back :)

Sitting on the dunce seat [in back] :>)

hcgtv wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

Hand raised in the back smile

lies, lies i tell you tongue

define "correctly" big_smile

Frank H: http://hcgtv.net/item/167

Rickard wrote:

2001-04-24 - 10.0 (Cheetah)

2001-10-25 - Windows XP

Hmm, not a coincidence that XP was released a little after OS X.
"Redmond, start your copy machines!"

[img]http://www.webexpo.org/users/airwave/MeetTheBadgersAnimated.gif[/img]

but then again its always going to be a bit after an OS X release since theres one every 5 minutes