Topic: argh.. DynDNS.org is what?

ive seen this many, many times latley. i see it offers domain names, but i dont understand what this site is used for. and look at the prices, $35 for a domain name. thats just a bit too high for me, when i can get them for $5 each.

so please, answer this long going question, what the hell is DynDNS.org?

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Re: argh.. DynDNS.org is what?

The same ask from me
why in networksolution.net a domain cost more than 30$
and in registerfly.com (by example) cost less than 10$

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

well ... you can use some of it's free ones ... where you have something.shacknet.nu  or  something.dyndns.org etc. ... no fee at all ... I use my 5 free accounts for different sites on my servers ... makes life easier than to have one url (the one given by the ISP), and a load of odd urls smile

and if you have dynamic ip, it's still possible to use one of those dns adresses, as you then use a little tool that will tell what ip you currently have.

I have a cable modem and I used to have my eMac set-up as a webserver. I hosted some sites on it, but to get to them you had to type in the IP which is hard to remember and it also chanes from time to time (Dynamic). DynDNS gives you a URL that points to your IP address. They also have utils that you install on your computer that fequently check your IP and if it has changed, update the info with DynDNS.

You do not buy a domain through DynDNS. The $35 is for the service of pointing your domain to your IP. You still have to own a domain (or use one of the free ones as mentioned above.)

Why is networksolutions $30 for a domain name? Becasue there are suckers out there, I guess. A woman set-up my mothers website for her real estate business. Charged her $100 for a domain name and $300 for search engine submission plus $50/month for hosting. A ONE PAGE website cost my mother $1000! I flipped out when I found this out. She's not working with that woman anymore.

Do you love physics? :) http://www.ilovephysics.com
Interested in Internet Marketing? http://www.keyliberty.com

okay, whats a Dynamic DNS and a Static DNS?

Indocron

6 (edited by ameenullah 2004-10-25 05:08)

Gary13579 wrote:

okay, whats a Dynamic DNS and a Static DNS?

To get it cleared, visit http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/DNS.html

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

A dynamic DNS uses multiple IP?  for example when you are using dial up account everytime you connect to the internet you are assigned a different IP from your internet service provider and this IP points to you. Registering a dynamic domain from dynds.org will enable you to use different IP that still points to your dynamic domain for example  when you register something.net  as your domain using the services from dyndns.org you can easily update it everytime you connect to the internet and the URL still points to your server  especially if you?e running it  on a dial up or  cable modem that  frequently changes IP everytime you are disconnected. Static Domain is assigned just one IP and doesnt change as long as you subscribed. big_smile

okay, thanks.

now why do they charge 30$ a year for assigning a domain name to an ip address, when the do it with the subdomains for free? if you can do it for the subdomains for free, they should do the domains at a cheaper price.

Indocron

Costs money to run a site like that. Bandwidth, script support, server space, etc. And as far as I know, they don't resort to banner ads. They have to make money or they can't survive. I offer a forum and other services to physics teachers and students for free. But I have small banner ads that pay for my bandwidth and server "rent". I also probably don't get anywhere near the traffic DynDNS gets. Plus it's a hobby, not a business so I don't expect to make money.

I think there is a site that is very similar that provides the same service for free, though. I don't remember the URL.

Do you love physics? :) http://www.ilovephysics.com
Interested in Internet Marketing? http://www.keyliberty.com

Theres a lot of choices for the subdomain and its free I personally got one from them  xeroxss.serveftp.net , it has a personalize look  right? big_smile I use the address to refer to my server hosted on my working PC at home using apache, and proftpd for ftp access, and its totally free from dyndns.org why subscribe???

the subscribe is for the domain names, if you want domain.com and not domain.server.com

but if you own the server yourself, why wouldnt you just make the DNS syourself? ive heard its possible, and free

Indocron

Gary13579 wrote:

the subscribe is for the domain names, if you want domain.com and not domain.server.com

but if you own the server yourself, why wouldnt you just make the DNS syourself? ive heard its possible, and free

Yes it? possible to set-up your DNS server but I dont have any idea on how to do it? I read that a working 486DX computer is sufficient for this purpose, the problem is I can´t find enough material to implement it I have two PC? waiting. Any ideas on how to do it?

Gary13579 wrote:

You can run your own DNS server with bind but I believe you still need a secondary server for the net at large to recognize your domains.

Some registrars offer dns services to go with your domain. (I think enom.com does that, not sure)