Topic: Improved New Message 1.0

##
##
##        Mod title:  Improved New Message (INM)
##
##      Mod version:  1.0
##   Works on PunBB:  1.0.x
##     Release date:  2004-05-18
##           Author:  Kristoffer Jansson (jansson@cactuz.nu)
##
##      Description:  This mod extends the new messege function. It will now update when you read the topic.
## 
##   Affected files:  include/functions.php
##                    index.php
##                    viewforum.php
##                    viewtopic.php
##
##       Affects DB:  No
##
##            Notes:  My solution to the problem :)
##
##        Generator:  ModGenerator (http://punres.cactuz.nu/modgen/)
##                    on: 2004-05-18 20:46:56
##
##       DISCLAIMER:  Please note that "mods" are not officially supported by
##                    PunBB. Installation of this modification is done at your
##                    own risk. Backup your forum database and any and all
##                    applicable files before proceeding.
##
##

PunRes: http://punres.cactuz.nu/projects/desc.php?id=33

Re: Improved New Message 1.0

Hmm, you're setting one cookie for every read topic?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yeah.. It doesn't require any serialize or anything :P

Ouch :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Jansson wrote:

Yeah.. It doesn't require any serialize or anything :P

I told you to not make a weird solution :P

Exactly why is it weird? =P

After reading the forums for a while, there will be quite a lot of cookie data being transferred to the webserver.

Well. They are removed when the last update is updated (default 600sec). And if there is so many new topics (only stores cookie if topic contains new posts) you shouldn't be able to read so many topics in that time. And the data that will be transferred is smaller because you only have to check the latest post-cookie. And not many people have like 200 forums ;)

Jansson wrote:

And the data that will be transferred is smaller because you only have to check the latest post-cookie.

Not sure what you mean by that. The browser always sends every cookie that applies to the site you've visiting. What you do with it in your PHP code doesn't matter.

Rickard wrote:
Jansson wrote:

And the data that will be transferred is smaller because you only have to check the latest post-cookie.

Not sure what you mean by that. The browser always sends every cookie that applies to the site you've visiting. What you do with it in your PHP code doesn't matter.

Ok. But that doesn't really matters anyway.

hi all, where can i get this mod now ?

It is good for who care about (New Message) smile
I dont care, i use my memory.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

well, start at the top and work your way through wink

hm. so no definite answer ?

it isnt working for me sad

hmmm ... a thought just struck me ... IIRC I read somewhere that there was a limit on the 'cookie array' you can have. What I don't remember is if it was an IE, Apache or PHP limit tongue
OTOH it's perhaps big enough for people never experiencing it? wink

According to my Google search, it's 300 total or 20 per server or domain (that's supposed to be the minimum)

http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html

18 (edited by XuMiX 2004-11-05 20:15)

viewtopic.php
-----8<------
~110 line
if (!$cookie['is_guest'])
$result = $db->query('SELECT t.subject, t.closed, t.sticky, t.num_replies, t.last_post_id, t.last_post, f.id, f.forum_name, f.moderators, f.closed AS forum_closed, f.admmod_only, s.user_id AS is_subscribed FROM '.$db->prefix.'topics AS t INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forums AS f ON t.forum_id=f.id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'subscriptions AS s ON (s.topic_id=t.id AND s.user_id='.$cur_user['id'].') WHERE t.id='.$id.' AND t.moved_to IS NULL') or error('Unable to fetch topic info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());
else
$result = $db->query('SELECT t.subject, t.closed, t.sticky, t.num_replies, t.last_post_id, t.last_post, f.id, f.forum_name, f.moderators, f.closed AS forum_closed, f.admmod_only, 0 FROM '.$db->prefix.'topics AS t INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forums AS f ON t.forum_id=f.id WHERE t.id='.$id.' AND t.moved_to IS NULL') or error('Unable to fetch topic info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

~118 line
list($subject, $closed, $sticky, $num_replies, $last_post_id, $last_post, $forum_id, $forum_name, $moderators, $forum_closed, $admmod_only, $is_subscribed) = $db->fetch_row($result);

+++  before $footer_style =.... add
// Create/Update topic view session
if($cur_user['last_visit'] < $last_post)
setcookie('puntopic_'.$last_post_id, time(), (time()+$pun_config['o_timeout_visit']), $cookie_path, $cookie_domain, $cookie_secure);
------------->8--------

viewforum.php
~165? line
---if (!$cookie['is_guest'] && $cur_topic['last_post'] > $cur_user['last_visit'] && $cur_topic['moved_to'] == null)
+++if (!$cookie['is_guest'] && new_topic($cur_topic['last_post_id'], $cur_topic['last_post']) && $cur_topic['moved_to'] == null)

index.php
~88? line
---if (!$cookie['is_guest'] && $cur_forum['last_post'] > $cur_user['last_visit'])
+++if (!$cookie['is_guest'] && new_topic($cur_forum['last_post_id'], $cur_forum['last_post']))

include/functions.php
+++
function new_topic($id, $last_post)
{
    global $cur_user;

if(isset($_COOKIE['puntopic_'.$id]))
    {
        if($_COOKIE['puntopic_'.$id] < $last_post)
            return true;
    }else
    {
        if($cur_user['last_visit'] < $last_post)
            return true;
    }
    return false;
}