Topic: CGI error when accessing admin section

Can you help me I'm using host windows 2003 My punbb it works but this section i dunno why i can't acces it plz help me i use windows 2003 ><""""

Re: CGI error when accessing admin section

What reason ...

what the error?

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

hmm there seems to be a pattern

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4175
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5054

I've had it running perfectly on Windows Server 2003, IIS 6, PHP 4.3.8 and mysql.

I installed php manually instead of using the installer, maybe theres a difference?

hmm i dunno i just seen the same thing happen twice and found it a third time which looks a little dodgy

The problem with "The specified CGI application misbehaved" is that it can mean pretty much anything. I would say that in 95% of the cases, it is either a problem with Windows, IIS or PHP. Just have a look in the PHP bug tracker. There are litteraly hundreds of bug reports on the subject. The number of possible solutions and workarounds are just as many.

My suggestion is to run PHP as a module under Apache instead of IIS. Running it under IIS, and thus through CGI, means a new PHP instance is loaded into memory and executed for every single request. It's extremely ineffective.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

als IIS is microsoft and therefore unlikly to behave itself wink

9 (edited by Falconey 2004-11-13 13:21)

The problem lies with the default installation of the PHP installer for windows systems.

It installs PHP as a CGI module, leaving most options at the default setting, thats why some people get CGI errors.

I have manually installed php as an ISAPI filter.

I'll try testing punbb with php configured as a CGI module sometime this week. My guess is that it'll work perfectly when i do the installation manually.

Edit:

Just installed php 4.3.9 using the installer, standard installation. PunBB worked just fine, no cgi errors at all. Tested on VMware/Windows server 2003/IIS6, mysql database at my debian testserver.

My guess is that some users forgot to give proper permissions to "IUSR_MachineName"