Re: new local web server

I have checked the hard disk, with the option "show all files" but couldnt find it. I dont have zip version, i am having the windows installer "php-4.3.9-installer.exe" there is only one dll file "php4ts.dll". how to get it now.

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

Put that file in your windows system directory and you'll be good to go.

The suggestion to not run Apache on a Win32 system is because it is not designed to handle specifically for Win32 systems.  Windows98 does not have any sort of file permissions which restrict users from tampering with the files.

It's a warning only, and you're still free to use them as you wish.  All of those that you mentioned are GPL'd.  If unsure what rights that grants you, check out http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

28 (edited by ameenullah 2004-11-24 06:15)

Well i am using for personal use, with 5 systems connected in the local area network. And i am not  bothered about the file tampering, right now, nothing to worry about the security, Just in a test pad. And i want to give access  to the sites(in local server) to other connected computers.

Still i i am not able to browse the sites(in local server) thru other systems in the LAN. What i have to do for that? Anything extra i need to install or any other configuration i have to make. Coz all other systems are having Windows Xp and Win2k. Need your suggestions asap.

Particularly i want  them to watch the PHP site from the local sever. is it possible?

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

For my home development/testing I use Uniform server (http://miniserver.sourceforge.net/) which is
just a package containning apache,php,perl/mysql and phpmyadmin!

Well I can't seem to be able to connect to sourceforge now....  so I don't know if Uniserver(miniserver) will run on windows 98.

But that's my suggestion...

to all of you who are having there own server wich type of connection do you have

i installed XAMPP, Windows, Apache, Mysql, Php, Pearl, and it has PhPMyadmin, and Mercury mail server. This package is nice. but how to give access to others to see the websites in my system(local server). Its working fine in standalone(in my system), can others also view these sites without having PHP installed in their system(in LAN).

make sure the firewall doesn't block out the ports you use for http etc (usually 80)

no, firewall is nto there. I want to access within the Local Area(Lan) these systems are not physically connected to the internet. This is for test purpose of model internet.

Ataxy wrote:

to all of you who are having there own server wich type of connection do you have

T1

I am not using this local server for internet, I am using it as intranet. By the way i am not having T1 Connection, we have DSL Cable connection here.

snap how much is it for a t1 here in canada i am for montreal and i have always wondered

Ataxy, my server is in the states. I have some friends in Chicago so hosting is free.
Btw T1 in Canada is somewhere between $750 to $1200 + loop fees (location is a factor) + tax.