Topic: Need Support for Chinese Text

I got problem with viewing chinese text in my Internet Explorer. Somehow i downloaded from MicrosoftService patches and fixed. My problem is i am unable to browse the Chinese CDs. Its showing "1.____" instead of listing the directory names. How could i solve this.

I am using windows98. Its working in XP. But i need to work in W98. Anyone have suggestion?

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

Re: Need Support for Chinese Text

If anyone have Chinese True type fonts(.ttf), pls upload/send me alink to download.  I will be very helpful for me.

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

WinXP uses Unicode as its base character encoding but Win95 and Win98 don't.

To see Chinese in the XP desktop environment, all you need to do is use a system font that includes the characters.

But displaying Chinese in the Win98 desktop environment is a problem. The Win98 system uses 8-bit character encoding. It will always look at a 16-bit Unicode character and see two 8-bit characters instead--scrambling the text.

The Microsoft patches work for software running on the system (like Internet Explorer and MS Office) but they don't patch the system itself. To browse a Chinese CD with Win98, you'll probably need some type of Unicode-friendly software that you can use as a "system-shell".

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

Then where can i get that software. I just want to see the CD content. I dont have anything to type or write in Chinese Text. Any suggestion....

Hmm, I've searched around but I can't find anything that might work. Sorry I can't suggest a specific program.

You might try to look for a program yourself that supports "unicode file names". Your best chance might be to look for a CD-copying program with this support.

This type of access might not be possible within Win98. Accessing the hardware directly to interpret Unicode file names may violate the windows "virtual machine". If this is the case, a program would have to paste the 8-bit characters together to make 16-bit Unicode characters--and I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

reinstall IE in custom instalation and add your languages
or enable "install on demands" in internet options in advanced.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

I can view the internet pages, So this is not the problem with IE. Its supporting very well now after installing service pack. The problem is with Window Explorer. Atleast if i have chinese ttf, i can view the CD content(Directory names) I believe.