1 (edited by Sensei Eggwoah 2004-12-06 06:09)

Topic: Question Regarding Using the Parser outside of the forum

I was going to integrate my site with the punbb forum by drawing information from the posts from the database.  I would guess that the messages in the database are stored as text and bbcode.  When looking at the parser.php, it has a function called parse_message() which seems to look at the options and displays parsed text.  Would it work if I did a simple mysql query and then used that function to translate the bbcode to an html output so the site can print pretty looking text?  Any help is appriciated.

Edit:  To add to this, how can I work with cookies or sessions so that the user is recognized when they visit the site rather than the forum?

I hope I posted this in the right section.  Maybe this should have gone in the mod discussion board?  BTW, I love the board software!

Re: Question Regarding Using the Parser outside of the forum

For 1.1.5 or for 1.2 beta?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by Sensei Eggwoah 2004-12-06 16:34)

I have a copy of 1.1.5.  Should I upgrade to 1.2 beta?  I haven't installed the board yet.  When punbb goes to a final release would the conversion be a simple overwriting of files?

Upgrading will be easy, but if you integrate your forums into the rest of you site now, you'll have to rewrite parts of that code when 1.2 final is released.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Well, I think I'll stick with 1.1.5 for now, since it has everything I need.