Re: PunBB 1.2 Beta

Elrond wrote:

1.2 Beta and PostgreSQL give charset problems:

Postgres normally wants Unicode (UTF-8) in its SQL commands. And it will reject anything, that is not valid UTF-8.

So I can't even create forums with umlauts in it.

Actually, the default encoding for PostgreSQL is SQL_ASCII. That's the default encoding for the template databases that are used when creating new databases. So, unless you've manually changed the encoding of the template databases or specified a custom encoding when creating the database for PunBB, the database encoding will be SQL_ASCII (i.e. ISO-8859-1).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Debian used to have UTF8 as default. (which in theory is a good thing. a database is a backend thing. It should store stuff in a global accessible and unique way.)

So punbb currently has a more or less big problem handling discussions in multiple languages (say swedish and russian), unless users change the forum-language in between.

Does it make sense to change the english langpack to utf8?

Oh, changing the default client_encoding for the database makes umlauts work.

Elrond wrote:

Debian used to have UTF8 as default. (which in theory is a good thing. a database is a backend thing. It should store stuff in a global accessible and unique way.)

Yes, in theory UTF-8 is great. However, since PHP doesn't have full native support for it, it becomes a problem. If only the PHP team added Unicode safe versions of many of the string functions (or enabled mbstring by default), I would switch to using UTF-8 all the time.

Elrond wrote:

So punbb currently has a more or less big problem handling discussions in multiple languages (say swedish and russian), unless users change the forum-language in between.

Yes, it does. These forums are proof of that :)

Elrond wrote:

Maybe. Still, PHP doesn't support it, so what good would it do?

Elrond wrote:

Then, I believe, that will have to be the solution for now.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Yes, in theory UTF-8 is great. However, since PHP doesn't have full native support for it, it becomes a problem. If only the PHP team added Unicode safe versions of many of the string functions (or enabled mbstring by default), I would switch to using UTF-8 all the time.

I'm not really that deep in php, so stupid question: What string functions do you use in punbb that need specific UTF-8 support?
strlen? Do you really need the number of "visible" characters instead of the number of octets?
regex? Yes, "?" would only match an octet instead of a character. Do you use regex for anything that would need that? the index/search is word based anyway, right?
I think, the other normal string functions can be seen as a subset of the above two problems.

Rickard wrote:

Yes, it does. These forums are proof of that :)

*smile*

Rickard wrote:
Elrond wrote:

Maybe. Still, PHP doesn't support it, so what good would it do?

See above. Would it really break horribly? I have no idea, and haven't tested.

Rickard wrote:
Elrond wrote:

Then, I believe, that will have to be the solution for now.

For the docs/reference:

punbb=# ALTER DATABASE punbb SET client_encoding TO 'LATIN1';

Replace latin1 by the most appropiate one from <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/stat … l#AEN18181>.
Or use createdb's -E (--encoding) option to create the databsse with the right charset. Like:

createdb --encoding SQL_ASCII --owner punbb punbb

Elrond wrote:

I'm not really that deep in php, so stupid question: What string functions do you use in punbb that need specific UTF-8 support?
strlen? Do you really need the number of "visible" characters instead of the number of octets?
regex? Yes, "?" would only match an octet instead of a character. Do you use regex for anything that would need that? the index/search is word based anyway, right?
I think, the other normal string functions can be seen as a subset of the above two problems.

strlen(), substr(), mail(), strpos(), strtolower(), strtoupper(), subst_count() etc. None of these functions handle multibyte character sets. The mbstring extension provides a set of multibyte safe replacements for these functions (and more), but as I mentioned, it's not enabled by default.

Elrond wrote:

For the docs/reference:

punbb=# ALTER DATABASE punbb SET client_encoding TO 'LATIN1';

Replace latin1 by the most appropiate one from <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/stat … l#AEN18181>.
Or use createdb's -E (--encoding) option to create the databsse with the right charset. Like:

createdb --encoding SQL_ASCII --owner punbb punbb

Yes, LATIN1 will be the most appropriate.

barrowfc wrote:

found my login again...rip9 was me btw.

Unfortunately I do need to display the rest of the site around the forum ..snip...
I'll have a think tonight and then play(?) with it tomorrow. I'm sure some solution will crop up. 

(and I just know my css files are going to clash smile.

Just thought I'd do a quick update...

Well, finally found the time on Sunday to sort this out and solved my problem. An easily recreateable(!) edit of header.php and  a merge of template files and css and now I've got exactly what I wanted in merging the two together and back to being able to change my whole site layout/look with the edit of 2 files smile

But I knew the css would clash...that's taking longer to go through sad
Just waiting for the non-beta release now. smile  great work Rickard/Paul.

Cheers
Rich

207 (edited by RobvT 2004-12-14 13:55)

Is there a reply-only option for forums on this version. Its really a must have. Got it on the 1.15 version thx to the Mod. Any idea when 1.2 comes availabel ?

HTCClub.net team thx the builders of this great forum.

barrowfc wrote:

But I knew the css would clash...that's taking longer to go through sad
Just waiting for the non-beta release now. smile  great work Rickard/Paul.

Cheers
Rich

I would stop work on it. I've changed the css for the final version. I have had a go at sandboxing the css. Basically PunBB is in a wrapper div with class="pun". I've now made everything that does not have a PunBB specific class or id a descendant of the wrapper e.g. .pun TD, .pun P. The idea is that the stylesheets will only effect markup inside the wrapper. Site markup outside the wrapper should not be touched. If you want elements of your site to use PunBB's stylesheets then you just put it inside the wrapper div or put another div around it with class="pun".

rob_van_triet wrote:

Is there a reply-only option for forums on this version. Its really a must have.

Yes, on a per group basis you can select "Read forum", "Post replies", and "Post topics".

Just check "read" and "post repies" and you get, what you want.

Paul wrote:

I would stop work on it. I've changed the css for the final version. I have had a go at sandboxing the css. Basically PunBB is in a wrapper div with class="pun". I've now made everything that does not have a PunBB specific class or id a descendant of the wrapper e.g. .pun TD, .pun P. The idea is that the stylesheets will only effect markup inside the wrapper. Site markup outside the wrapper should not be touched. If you want elements of your site to use PunBB's stylesheets then you just put it inside the wrapper div or put another div around it with class="pun".

Brilliant...that's saved me a post this morning smile I was going to ask if you could do that.
I'd tried doing the opposite and explicitiy wrapping my tags but of course it still picks up things I've not fully set.
I'll sit and wait then. smile

If you need anything testing on this let me know as I've got it integrated so can easily tell if things are being affected elsewhere.

Cheers,
Rich

Elrond wrote:

Rod:

That sounds like javascript... What I like about punBB a lot: It works without javascript and thus from a textmode browser.

If Javascript prevents from reloading and saving requests, so Javascript is GOOD for a site. If javascript is used to have stars around mouse pointer, it's bad

that's all smile

Javascript + xhtml = intuitive admin (cf coppermine)

To Rickard: You haven't changed the smileys ? http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3317&p=9 -> Message 2

[img]http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/icons/error.png[/img] /me speaks French and bad English [img]http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/icons/error.png[/img]

Now I have.

214 (edited by Elrond 2004-12-15 20:18)

Rod: Please simply accept, that some people do not want or cannot use javascript. (just a simple example: blind people prefer textmode browsers, and I'm not aware of any one, that has js.)

XSS and js give a nice combination too. IF I use a graphical browser, then js is disabled.

And if you want to have some fun reading about what all can be done with js: http://isc.sans.org//diary.php?date=2004-11-24 (look for "Follow The Bouncing Malware")

Let's please end this discussion soon.

I like PunBB for not needing js. And I hope, Rickard wont change this.

Elrond wrote:

(just a simple example: blind people prefer textmode browsers, and I'm not aware of any one, that has js.)

I just wish that were true. A lot of Jaws users seem to use IE and Jaws understands just enough css to make life difficult.

Elrond wrote:

Rod: Please simply accept, that some people do not want or cannot use javascript. (just a simple example: blind people prefer textmode browsers, and I'm not aware of any one, that has js.)

XSS and js give a nice combination too. IF I use a graphical browser, then js is disabled.

And if you want to have some fun reading about what all can be done with js: http://isc.sans.org//diary.php?date=2004-11-24 (look for "Follow The Bouncing Malware")

Let's please end this discussion soon.

I like PunBB for not needing js. And I hope, Rickard wont change this.

No problem, I'm waiting final release to develop my own vision. If for "bad javascript" you have to fun to edit post per post using requests per post and so js can edit several posts at same time and only ONE request, no problem. Coppermine is a revolution of administration : I'll continue in this way, alone. But I'll suggest my vision in mod section.

Stop to think with "disable js" ... in this case, xhtml 1.0 is not read by Lynx, Mozaic, NS3, IE3 and NS4 : and a lot of people use them. Future is in front of us, not behind.

217 (edited by snapsolutions 2004-12-16 21:00)

I wonder if it's possible to change message box height in post new topic, edit post and post reply. New box in 1.2 is kinda too large and I hate scrolling down (My monitor resolution is 1024 X 768). Also can these two options (Never show smilies as icons for this post and Silent edit (don't display "Edited by ..." in topic view)) be right to the box instead down of the box? The spot right from the message box looks empty wink Just a sugesstion.

And another thing, I don't know if I am blind or something but I can't find flood control option. sad

Tnanks

By message box I assume you mean the textarea controls. Like just about everything else you can control the height with the stylesheets. If you think there is too much space at the side of the textareas, just make them wider. The posting options are better off where they are for lower resolutions and narrower layouts.

219 (edited by snapsolutions 2004-12-16 20:58)

tnx Paul,

index.php in 1.2 line 189

echo "\t\t\t".'<dl id="onlinelist">'."\n\t\t\t\t".'<dt><strong>'.$lang_index['Online'].': </strong></dt>'."\t\t\t\t".implode(',<dd> ', $users).'</dd>'."\n\t\t\t".'</dl>'."\n";

should be replaced with

echo "\t\t\t".'<dl id="onlinelist">'."\n\t\t\t\t".'<dt><strong>'.$lang_index['Online'].': </strong></dt>'."\t\t\t\t".implode(',</dd> ', $users).'</dd>'."\n\t\t\t".'</dl>'."\n";

for a valid XHTML

Thanks. Fixed

Hello,

we use PunBB since 6 weeks and really like it!!!

I tried to read all the threads here but I didnot really find an answer to my question, maybe as my english is too bad...

I read that there will be user groups in 1.2. Thats perfect! We are fire-artists and have an open forum and also an intern area right now as i give the people mod rights. we would like to make different user groups for different projects in the intern area, so that just the people who are in the project are able to get all the information. will this be possible with 1.2. and when will it come about?
Thanks SAM

Yes, it will be possible. PunBB 1.2 will be released shortly. I really can't say any more than that.

Hello Rickard,

thanks very much for that good news!!!

And a good night, SAM

Hi Rickard,

The 11_to_12_update.php misses to add o_default_user_group to the config.

I had to add it manually to the DB. Using the admin interface didn't do the job.

You might want to share the default config between install.php and the update scripts. So that the update script can just go in a loop over the config settings and check wether pun_config[new_var] does already exist, if not, add it to the db.

Elrond: Has been reported earlier in this topic and has since been fixed.

Checking existing config values agains the array in the install script would have solved your problem, but it really shouldn't be needed.