1 (edited by Wooty 2003-09-08 17:57)

Topic: Archive

Move the selected topic to the forum archive?

Yes , No.

Every forum has it own archive. cya.

Dan, (Official, i hope :D) PunBBHeb Translator.

Re: Archive

What would the purpose of this archive be? For every user to store "memorable threads",or something else? Your post was so short :)

-

Wooty wrote:

Every forum has it own archive. cya.

Uh, what?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I think that's part of the feature description. Like you have a bunch of bookmarks in every forum for your favorite threads... or whatever the purpose of this feature is supposed to be :)

-

I thought he was talking about archiving old posts/threads i.e taking them off the board and putting them into storage so the number of posts didn't grow too large and slow the whole thing down. I think the idea is that the Admin instead of just pruning/deleting old posts moves them to an archive instead.

thats a dumb feature o.O

First, this is not a dumb feature.
Secondly - If you have in ur board a forum that is called Guides, you can move good guides (topics) to its archive. and people will check in the archive first.

So, the purpose is like sticky topics, except not sticky?

-

soo ... it would be like you have made another forum for keeping the archived topics in, nothing more?

Can't you just move the topic to a special forum of some kind? If you don't want any new posts there, you can just lock the forum.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Kennel wrote:

Can't you just move the topic to a special forum of some kind? If you don't want any new posts there, you can just lock the forum.

That makes more sense. I can see a time when this board has grown to the point when it would be useful to have a read only Knowledgebase forum containing instructions on various things, code snippets people have posted etc.

kennel, i was going to say that XD

Ok.

o mud none k?

archive would be a good option
i have a big forum (more than 14.000 users) and a table posts 55Mo
my server crash many times when there are more than 80 users online

archive topic out of table posts and table forum would be great

explain what you mean by archive?

I need to reduce size of two tables of my database (posts and topics).
So i have create 2 other tables:
- archive_topics => id, subject
- archive_posts => topic_id, poster, message, date

the SELECT with INNER JOIN in the page viewtopic CRASH my server because my forum is too big

then now, no inner join for the archive with these 2 new tables

PS: excuse my bad english

I have check it. The problem come from user table (more than 15.500 users now). When there's more than 80 users online, MySQL crash.
I search a solution to reduce this table but i don't know how if i want to keep all users ...

MySQL should never crash due to it being under load. Over at SweClockers.com, we have 2.6 million posts, 262000 topics and 52000 users. During peak hours, we have 2000 users online. MySQL handles this just fine.

mysql_stat();

Uptime: 13111
Threads: 20
Questions: 6210748
Slow queries: 1379
Opens: 69319
Flush tables: 1
Open tables: 4095 Queries per second avg: 473.705

No crash...

lebel: Might I ask what the URL of your forums is?

22 (edited by lebel 2004-12-21 07:35)

hxxx://www.omplanete.com/forum/

23 (edited by lebel 2004-12-21 07:40)

analogue wrote:

mysql_stat();

Uptime: 13111
Threads: 20
Questions: 6210748
Slow queries: 1379
Opens: 69319
Flush tables: 1
Open tables: 4095 Queries per second avg: 473.705

No crash...

ouais ok mais tu as combien d'utilisateurs qui se connectent en même temps ?

My website is about football team. When there 's match, 100 users connects to the forum at the same time. And all the time MySQL crash (& the server too)

lebel: One thing you could try is to convert the online table to the table type MyISAM. You can do this through e.g. phpMyAdmin. I'm not sure it will help, but give it a go.

Nice forum BTW. It should be on PunBBig :)

103 on now and still up wink