Topic: The new website

As you might have noticed, the new website is up and running. Yay! The website uses my homegrown news plugin that will be released shortly. It's dead simple, but it does the job.

You might also have noticed that the support forums are now running 1.2. I have to do some really boring PostgreSQL testing tonight, but after that, there really isn't anything keeping me from releasing 1.2. Expect it tomorrow.

A big thanks goes out to our resident markup/CSS guru Paul Sullivan for helping me out with the website redesign.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: The new website

WELL DONE.
cant wait for forums to b released tomorrow big_smile

the website looks amazing wink and so does 1.2, amazing work Paul can't wait for 1.2

Yay cant waint untill 1.2 is realesed big_smile

5 (edited by barrowfc 2004-12-29 20:09)

Great work!  Well done and thanks!

I guess that's tomorrow and friday accounted for!

edit: Can you post a link back to your main page from the forum? (ie, the return to punbb.org link) ta.

double edit: Does tomorrow mean morning or night? smile heh. Just wondering when to get the gf out of the house by so I can crack on. smile

Looks very nice, the site and the new forum.

Brilliant work.

8 (edited by Paul 2004-12-29 20:18)

For anybody missing the link back to the main site, just use the "Powered by PunBB" link for the moment.

thank you paul. i did put a post for that. ive used it befor on my site smile
my mind was just a blank for a minute cos of the excitment of a new site layout and forum smile

Oh boy! One bug spotted already. Note the lack of space above "Edited by".

i spotted an bug on main site.
at the right were it says the news, aftert the news it says posted by Ricard on date then it has the green line going throug the time

mark36ph wrote:

i spotted an bug on main site.
at the right were it says the news, aftert the news it says posted by Ricard on date then it has the green line going throug the time

What resolution. I didn't think that would happen at anything above 640x480

im on 800x600

how big (or small) is your moniter? i have my 17" at 1280x960

btw are we allowed to "steal" the homepage?

15 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2004-12-29 20:57)

AWSOME! very well done Rickard and Paul. BUT there is no link once you're in the forums to return to the main page of the site.

question: was the news plugin the whole front end of the site or the code to bring posts in one forum to the front page or OUR site? if not after the final release of 1.2 would you be willing to release what you have for your frontend? i realy like it and it compliments PunBB so well.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

16 (edited by mark36ph 2004-12-29 20:59)

i am using a 15" monitor at 800x600

Connorhd wrote:

btw are we allowed to "steal" the homepage?

i dont think rickard would like it

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

AWSOME! very well done Rickard and Paul. BUT there is no link once you're in the forums to return to the main page of the site.

You can use the link in the lower right corner of the page.

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

question: was the news plugin the whole front end of the site or the code to bring posts in one forum to the front page or OUR site? if not after the final release of 1.2 would you be willing to release what you have for your frontend? i realy like it and it compliments PunBB so well.

The plugin in a script that takes topics from a specific forum and generates static markup that you can then include on your front page. I will gladly show you how the main site is setup, but I don't want people to copy the design of the website.

That answers your question as well Connorhd smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

sorry to spam, but..

big_smile

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Ohh, i soo like...
*bounce*bounce*flip*etc*

Rickard wrote:

The plugin in a script that takes topics from a specific forum and generates static markup that you can then include on your front page.

One suggestion would be to display the number of replies at the forum for said news topic, like 'comments (7)'

PS: The preview is nice, especially when doing bbcode.

I'm new here, but have been using PunBB for one of our forums.
I like the way that they are designed and the simplicity of them.
Keep up the good work smile 

Looking forward to the next release as well !

USA Linux Users Group
http://www.usalug.org

Bashscripts Scripts for the Bourne Again SHell
http://www.bashscripts.org

hmm you seem to have not replaced the old smilies - http://punbb.org/forums/help.php#smilies

should probably change this paragraph on the about page...

http://punbb.org/about.php

Some features that I have so far chosen not to implement are: private messaging, file attachments in posts, definable user groups, polls, post preview, linking to off-site avatars, advanced text formatting controls, subforums etc etc. Some of these features might still get implemented, just not in the near future.

yay for groups and preview!

yeh but not quite yet since 1.2 is not released till tomorrow wink

hcgtv wrote:

One suggestion would be to display the number of replies at the forum for said news topic, like 'comments (7)'

That won't be possible with the plugin. The output of the plugin is static. I.e. the output doesn't change when someone posts a reply.

Connorhd wrote:

hmm you seem to have not replaced the old smilies - http://punbb.org/forums/help.php#smilies

They are. It's just your browser that has the old ones cached.

trel1023: Thanks. Sorted.