Re: Private Message System

Rickard wrote:

I don't believe I've ever said I would add PM's in 1.2. Polls on the other hand has been discussed.

Ohh, that's true :) Then I'll definately take a look at it.

Installed this mod on a new forum of mine ... and I had some hard time with it, but in the end figured what was wrong ... the usage of short tags for beginning a php section ... that is <? instead of "proper" <?php  .... and I've got the short ones disabled, meaning the php parser never even tries to parse those in the short tags ...

I feel some inconsistency through out the mod, mostly normal <?php ... but on some places (also hidden on some small places wink), <? is used instead ... so one had to use find and replace on all files to find them ...

But it's a heads up to those also having the short tags disabled, so you don't have to struggle to figure out what's making the script fail wink
(took a while until I figured out what was the problem wink)

looks and feels like a nice mod though :up:

Yeah, I know. I should have (as I've mentioned before) gone through the mod to make _alot_ of changes. It's sooooo booring though, so I've never taken any time to do it.

I'll probably do it when converting it to 1.2 though, we'll see.

are you converting it now or are you waiting for the final release of 1.2 before you get started?

I've just downloaded and isntalled 1.1.4, and it didn't go as planned at all. I followed the instructions to a T (even though the HTML instructions said it's for 1.1.3 :shrug:) but couldnt get it to work. Kept returning parse error on the lines that I edited / inserted.

Just thought I'd let you know.

I've commented out the offending lines, so for now it's installed but not active.

-Tim

i also got the parse errors.  look at the very last line of functions.php and profile.php.  if there's a couple of random characters at the very end, change those characters to:

?>

for some reason, they got corrupted on the transfer.  this just happened to me as well.

i'm using filezilla and dreamweaver MX.  maybe dreamweaver messed with the code.

Chacmool wrote:

Yeah, I know. I should have (as I've mentioned before) gone through the mod to make _alot_ of changes. It's sooooo booring though, so I've never taken any time to do it.

i hope you will Chacmool cause this mod is really nice and handy!
we wont upgrade to 1.2 untill this PM system mod is upgraded wink

darkside wrote:
Chacmool wrote:

I'm working on it. Though, it's a lot of work, which I must force myself to do (play WoW is much more fun smile).

please force yourself, im looking forward to it, and as an admin i have to be respected to my clients, that means i have to choose the correct software with as little problems as possible. big_smile

i too know how annoying this kind of thing can get, but its better for all of us if you could do it please. tongue

260 (edited by darkside 2005-01-05 21:11)

Chacmool wrote:
darkside wrote:
Chacmool wrote:

I'm working on it. Though, it's a lot of work, which I must force myself to do (play WoW is much more fun smile).

lol great!
we rather have a good mod then a mod that aint working properly so take your time...
(and WoW is fun indeed) big_smile

WoW is fun indeed

it can't be more fun than the warm glow of knowing you have done us a good favour in releasing a mod though can it tongue

Chacmool wrote:
Rickard wrote:

I don't believe I've ever said I would add PM's in 1.2. Polls on the other hand has been discussed.

Ohh, that's true smile Then I'll definately take a look at it.

has anyone requested a "email me when i receive a private message" request yet?

a notification mail with PM aint necessary if you aks me
you just log in to the forum and you can see whether you have PM or not smile

if you want a email on PM use the email function not the PM function...

darkside wrote:

a notification mail with PM aint necessary if you aks me
you just log in to the forum and you can see whether you have PM or not smile

Some people don't visit forums every single day, and if a PM comes up, it would be nice to have an email saying so.

Connorhd wrote:

if you want a email on PM use the email function not the PM function...

that's silly. then why have a PM mod?

my point - if you're going to make a PM mod, emailiing when you have a PM is pretty helpful.

So, lament, you're saying that you'd rather do everything based off e-mail? That defeats the purpose of PMs and they shouldn't be used at all. If you absolutely "need" an e-mail confirmation than the guy might as well not send PMs at all and just use the e-mailing script.

My point being that PM's are for on board messenging only, e-mail is not required and would just add useless coding, slowing down the PM system (just slightly). So in my opinion it's not needed. If you want e-mail use the e-mail script, if you want to PM someone use the PM function. tongue

267 (edited by lament 2005-01-07 23:02)

Talikar wrote:

So, lament, you're saying that you'd rather do everything based off e-mail?

no, that's not what I'm saying.  let me re-clarify:

not everyone goes to each and every forum they've subscribed to every day.

if i get an email saying I have a private message, it acts as a reminder to check out the forum and check your private message - just as subscribing to a topic and getting an email lets me know that someone has responded to the topic. it acts as a reminder to check the topic because someone has responded.

That defeats the purpose of PMs and they shouldn't be used at all. If you absolutely "need" an e-mail confirmation than the guy might as well not send PMs at all and just use the e-mailing script.

see above.

My point being that PM's are for on board messenging only, e-mail is not required and would just add useless coding, slowing down the PM system (just slightly). So in my opinion it's not needed. If you want e-mail use the e-mail script, if you want to PM someone use the PM function. tongue

they're 2 separate functions: the PM script for on board messaging - true.  the email script for carrying on conversations OUTSIDE of the board - true. i'm not debating this fact.

I'm asking for a email reminder that someone has PM'd me - that's it. This helps out those people who don't visit each of their subscribed forums every day.

Again, it's helpful because not everyone visits each and every forum that they're subscribed to every day.  So if someone PM'd me from a forum, I'd like to know so I can log in and check that PM.

268 (edited by Smartys 2005-01-07 23:16)

lament: But wouldn't that argue that if you don't visit it every day you should have the person email you, which you DO check every day, versus having the equivalent of x number of extra email accounts that tell your regular email account when to check them?

Edit: I personally don't see the point in a PM system, except as a means to keep your email private from people you dont necessarily trust. But if trust is your only issue, there are plenty of free accounts out there: take one and use it. When it gets spammed too much, toss it and start again. wink

269 (edited by lament 2005-01-07 23:38)

Smartys wrote:

lament: But wouldn't that argue that if you don't visit it every day you should have the person email you, which you DO check every day, versus having the equivalent of x number of extra email accounts that tell your regular email account when to check them?

true, but i can't control whether they email me or PM me.  i like to give my users the option, and like to HAVE that option as well.  smile

lament wrote:

true, but i can't control whether they email me or PM me.

No PM Mod installed = Email wink

lament wrote:

i like to give my users the option, and like to HAVE that option as well.  smile

Fine, offer them free email addresses: serves the same purpose, but can be used far beyond a simple PM system big_smile
Or, if they choose to use the PM system, then they can CHECK it, like they would any mailbox: does your mailman leave you a note on your door saying you have mail? No, you have to go and check. If you're offline, does your mail program check your mail for you? No, you have to connect first.

Anyways, just my thoughts here: like I said, I dislike a PM system in a forum. I find it really an un-necessary feature, like attachments (although I can see how some people could use both mods). The best way (if this is put in) would be an admin setting for if they want it (similar to subscriptions) and a user setting if it's on (if they want it or not for them)

will this mod work for 1.2? i want PM's in 1.2

and i always use email to notify me of private messages. i have forum accounts at MANY differnt forums... i need to know if im getting messaged. and if i dont want to be noticed by email, then i choose not to in the options (for any forum capable of PM's they do this such as phpbb, vb, etc).

i would like an option to enable it per admins request or users request, doesnt matter, but i require an email address thats valid for my forums.

272 (edited by lament 2005-01-09 08:06)

yeah i was curious about 1.2 PM as well.  chacmool?

and I'm glad someone else understands why emailing a PM notification is helpful. smile

Chacmool wrote:
darkside wrote:
Chacmool wrote:

give him a chance tongue

Come on, where is the PM-module for 1.2? tongue wink

Hello,
could not find in the forum wether we can now send mass private messages ?
Thomas