Re: Have links open in a new window

Okey...

In other boards the usage of HTML-tags are optional.
I also think it would be nice to force certain links (external) to open in new windows, but I don't have any problems with the way things work now wink
Maybe an attribute to the [url]-tag or an alternative tag?

I decided to completely disable HTML posting in an earlier version (1.1.0 I think) due to the inherent security risks that it brings. I know some other forums allow it, but I really don't see the point. If people want to "style" their posts, they can use BBCode.

spider8: What may feel natural to you is completely unnatural to me. When I click a link, I expect my browser to navigate to that link, not to open a new window.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard

What may feel natural to you is completely unnatural to me. When I click a link, I expect my browser to navigate to that link, not to open a new window.

I absolutely agree with you, and that's exactly what makes it so difficult for me. I have to guess the likings of my visitors and how many there are of each kind. I have 80.000 visitors per day and no one ever complained about my outgoing links open in a new window. This could be meaningless as people might not consider this something that could be changed easily, but if I think of all the other proposals that flood my mailbox every day...

And still I didn't make up my mind as your points make a lot of sense to me too.

I think both "camps" are making valid arguments here, but in the end, it's up to me smile Modifying 1.2 to open user-posted links in new windows will be a one-line change. I'm afraid you'll have to live with that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

There are accessibility issues with opening links in new windows. It confuses the hell out of people using screenreaders and is a pain for anybody having to navigate using tabbing.

It is also confusing to new users to the internet. Think of them sitting there with IE maximised. The new window opens over the old one. They then start pulling their hair out out in frustration wondering why the back button is not working.

Rickard wrote:

I decided to completely disable HTML posting in an earlier version (1.1.0 I think) due to the inherent security risks that it brings. I know some other forums allow it, but I really don't see the point. If people want to "style" their posts, they can use BBCode.

Good choice again, what's the point of having the 2 really ?

Paul wrote:

It is also confusing to new users to the internet. Think of them sitting there with IE maximised. The new window opens over the old one. They then start pulling their hair out out in frustration wondering why the back button is not working.

Right, one more reason why _blank sucks. It makes the fullscreen mode of the browsers useless.

Here's a blog with someone explaining why _blank sucks. It almost repeats what we already told you all, but as it's told differently, you might get the point.