Topic: Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft.  Nor am I one that wants spyware, adware, and other junk clogging up my processor.  In one of the latest Microsoft updates there is a tool provided called the 'Malicious Software Removal Tool'.  From my present understanding, this tool will invisibly communicate results of 'malicious software' on our computers back to Microsoft without our knowledge of each instance.  We are made aware when installing the tool with a license agreement that probably most people will never read.  However, I prefer to not let my computer randomly talk to the boys in Redmond whenever it wants to, but at the same time I don't mind having this tool on my computer to take care of malicious software.  So I found the directions from M$ to disable the reporting function from within the registry.

You can find the directions to disable on this page.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891716

This is what needs to be added to the registry copied from the link above.

An administrator can choose to disable the infection reporting component of the tool by adding the following registry key value to computers. If this registry key value is set, the tool will not report infection information back to Microsoft.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT\DontReportInfectionInformation with the value of "1". Note that this value should be of type REG_DWORD.

Just thought a note on this might be of interest to some of my friends here at PunBB.

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

Re: Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Strange thing, I installed it under WindowsUpdate yesterday (it's in my installation history) but I can't find it anywhere on my system hmm