Topic: For those who know Windows98

I am using Windows 98 for the long time. I encountered many problems too. But still i am stick to 98. Now i just want to throw this question to get the solution from you guys. the problem is..

1. I am not getting "View as webpage" option while using Windows Explorer.
2. Is there any option in 98 to enable thumbnail view? (Last Year when i was fiddling with some software, i got that option in my 98 like what we have in XP now. After formatting, i lost it.)
3. I want to use PWS in 98 for webserver, I donwloaded windows NT4 patch for win95. Its giving some "sync.." error.
4. When I use Firefox for long time in Win98, its drastically slow down the system. Later i have to restart or have to keep the system idle for few min. Is there any other fix.?

I tried ms windows updates, it downloaded some 20 MB of content(security patches etc.,) to my system and installed. Still i am having all these problems.

Any other method to get out of all this.

Thanks in ADV.

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

2 (edited by Mako 2005-01-15 09:09)

Re: For those who know Windows98

PWS is shit. Use Apache. My favorite package with Apache, MySQL, PHP and a bunch others is XAMPP. http://www.apachefriends.org

And either upgrade to WinXP or go to Linux. MS Windows is crap as well.

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

smile I am using XAMPP, I dont want to go for win2000 /XP i want a solution for Win98 System. I have linux too. The problem is I want to use iis/pws in 98. Coz I have to give the package to the client with this OS. sad  (I cannot go with my chioce. )

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

Windows isn't "crap". I'd still use it over Linux for a desktop environment...

Abyss Web Server is tiny and might suit your needs.

http://www.aprelium.com

Yes i have Abyss also. I want to use APS with that. I dont want to switch from one serv to another.

6 (edited by notnamed 2005-01-16 03:21)

Don't use PWS. At all. Ever. You might as well set your computer on fire. That, or set it in the middle of a large shopping mall, turned on, with a huge sign hanging over it that says "Hack me! I'm free!"

[added]
Actually, you might as well say that about Windows 98 in general. Microsoft's official support for Windows 98 ended almost exactly a year ago. That means they're not going to make any more security patches for it... meaning your computer is now wide open. Please, do the internet a favor; upgrade to Windows 2000 and don't become a spam gateway or something.

notnamed wrote:

...Microsoft's official support for Windows 98 ended almost exactly a year ago. That means they're not going to make any more security patches for it... meaning your computer is now wide open. ...

This isn't entirely accurate.

Full support for Win98 and Win98se was discontinued June 30, 2003 but Microsoft has continued to release updates and security patches. In fact I just installed MS05-001 on Win98se the other day--that patch was released on January 11, 2005.

Publicly released critical update support (for 98 & 98se) is currently scheduled through June 30, 2006. The non-critical issue support, however, has been dropped.

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

8 (edited by ptlis 2005-01-17 17:23)

[url=http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#oth_memcache]Firefox Tips and Tricks page[/url] wrote:

Specifying memory cache usage
Normally, Firefox determines the memory cache usage dynamically based on the amount of available memory. To specify a specific amount of memory cache, add the following code to your user.js  file:

// Specify the amount of memory cache:
// -1 = determine dynamically (default), 0 = none, n = memory capacity in kilobytes
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 4096);

To disable the memory cache completely, add the following code:

// Disable memory cache:
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.enable", false);

That should help some.

Also, for some reason I get errors when I try to close the quote BBcode tag. hmm

wow thats seriously trashed this page

Indeed
He only has 1 closing quote tag, somehow.
And the "s before/after the URL tag can't be good :-/

Don't look at me. Thats parser.php. Over to you maestro. I suspect it's having the square brackets of the url tag nested inside the opening quote tag. I didn't think bbcode was supposed to be used like that anyway.

*waits for Rickard* smile

yeh it was brought up in 1.2 but dismissed as being not worth it

Fix. "Illegal" posts made before the change will have to be updated. I updated the post above that broke the parser.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thanks for all. I am still searching for the fix. I put 4 questions. Somehow i am near to the solution for 4th Question. but not exactly what i want. Expecting more from you guys... Thank you once again

I am using Win98 and XAMPP, Yesterday it end up with some error, webserver is not running. And i dont know what i have to do that. Here is the screen shot of that error. http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders … titled.jpg

I logged into XAMPP(apachefriends forum) to find the solution,  there they are not speaking english. Do anyone know where i can get the thing for me.

pws is too old.