Re: PunBB 1.2

Yes it is an argument on my side I just wanted to know your reasons and now I know them I can say totally agree with you on this one. Good point,

P.S. Your hot on my heels tonight lol. Any faster and this would be like IM.

why can't they use email though?

Not saying they can't, necessarily, but it is highly common for users to disable access to their email accounts. Plus email is considered much more personal than a public forum, so it weirds people out to receive strange emails...

Note the reason they chose the word 'forum' anyway.

Connorhd I must say your a bit reluctant to consider other's opinions. A good comment is one that address's the issue from both points of view.

Bwongars point is perfectly valid and I can't really add much to it. Users could use email Connerhd but given the option they prefer PM's.

PM's are not a replacement for emails and vice vesa wink

deusiah wrote:

Some people here have been trying to tell others that they don't need a PM system. Who are they to say that? Everyone who would like one has a very good reason for saying so. The email form is no substitute for a PM system and never will be in my eyes and the eyes of others who wish to use a PM system.

I'm not going to explain my reasons for needing them once more since they shouldn't need justifying anyway. I simply asked if it was planned for the future and still have no answer so I guess I should take that as a no. A definate answer would be a plus however as I would like to know for certain before I start work on a PM system which I will have on my site one way or another.

deusiah, when I said my vote was for 'no PMs', I didn't mean to imply you don't need a PM system.  I was only saying that I like having a forum without one.  I agree with you that it would be nice to have an easy way to add a PM system for those that need it -- hopefully the mod that's being written will do the trick.

BTW, very cool sig you have there.  *bookmarking* your site now.

OK D9r understood, thanks for taking the time to clarify that.

As for regards my sig. Thank you, as regards my site. What site? There's nothing there yet but will be soon. Just wanted to get some bugs ironed out of my CMS before releasing it.

107 (edited by D9r 2005-01-13 23:41)

I know.  I went and found your polite notice.  Then I tried the mafia game site, but my computer got overwhelmed downloading the page, so I figured I'd try later.

Very funny messages on the bottom - telling me my IP address, the number of kilobytes in a megabyte, ...

deusiah wrote:

Connorhd I must say your a bit reluctant to consider other's opinions. A good comment is one that address's the issue from both points of view.

why am i reluctant, I like PMs, i'm not arguing they shouldn't exsist i'm arguing a mod will make everyone happy whereas it being built in will only make people who want it happy

OK Connorhd then we have reached an agreement. I was under the impression your were against the whole PM idea but now I understand your only aginst it being built-in and that's fair enough, afterall if you have no use for a PM system why would you want it built in?

I like this sound of this mod system being developed that allows simple installtion of mods. My vision of PunBB in the future is a customisable forum. You make the package you want via chosing options you want when you download it. Now that would be something!

That's the way I'd like to see PunBB swing anyway. Choice is a good thing and you can never have too much of it wink

Did Rickard release the news plugin yet?

not yet - http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?i … ction=last

Soon. I just have to adapt it so that it works everywhere and not just on punbb.org.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Give it a spin: http://punbb.org/download/plugins/AP_News_Generator.zip

I won't put it up for download on the website until some of you have tested it out.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

*giving it a try*

Whoa nice job.  Worked like a charm.  I can see the potential for even more uses for this.

Ok tested it, and as buzzkill comments - worked like a charm here too smile Except that it won't auto-generate new topics ... Is this the finished product, Rickard? I do hope it's a draft ...

117 (edited by buzzkill 2005-01-16 08:05)

It was never intended to auto generate.  He stated this somewhere on the form.  But I guess where there is a will there is a way.  I suppose if you had access to it, you could setup a cron job.

its not hard you just go click a button after posting new news

The problem with autogenerating the news is that it requires edits to posts.php and I don't want to do that.

One nice thing about the plugin is that you can stick a topic in the news forum and it will appear at the top of the news output regardless of whether there are newer posts. Oh, one more thing, I recommend that you set "Sort topics by" to "Topic start" in admin_forums for the news forum. That way it's sorted more appropriately.

One small request:
Is it possible to make the feilds editable, instead of going into the php file it self?

Do, or do not.

Yes, but then I'd have to add them to the database and I don't want to do that. The alternative is that you would have to enter them every time and that is hardly any better.

I don't think you completly understood me. When you are viewing the plugin paramaters through Punn admin panel, it states what forum, what catagory, and target file. Say I want to make a couple of these types of news files, it seems (and is) very tedious to change the parameters from the php file. It would be a whole lot more convienent if you could change it from Punbb admin panel.

About the database, I don't see how this effects that.

Do, or do not.

because where would it store the settings, you only want to set it once and then it stay the same

124 (edited by Paul 2005-01-16 17:16)

Why would you have to store the settings, just enter the settings and hit generate. For the next file, enter another bunch of settings and hit generate again. It just means entering the data each time you generate a file as opposed to editing the php file each time you generate a file. You only want it to stay the same if you are generating a file from only one forum.

On the other hand, is there anything preventing more than one copy of the plugin being installed each with a slightly altered name to reflect which forum it relates to.

Paul its a news plugin so the idea is it generates news from your news forum so everytime you post you need to press generate, so who is going to want to enter the details every time? once its setup once thats probably how you want it forever, unless you want multiple news outputs in which case just rename it like you said