Topic: PunBB CSS - Changing

I have a question: How do I change the COMPLETE look of PunBB (not just the colors, moving the who's online to the top... BIG changes)?:/ Anyone know where to look? Also, I don't want to do a lot of re-programming just because of cosmetic changes! lol

[img]http://forums.punbb.org/img/smilies/cool.png[/img]This is me.[img]http://forums.punbb.org/img/smilies/cool.png[/img]

Re: PunBB CSS - Changing

The short anwser is if you want to change the complete look then you edit all the php files including a lot of the code, not just markup.

If you want to do it just using css you can, in theory, by using absolute positioning etc but you will have to be very good with css.

Just open a few files and experiment.

4 (edited by DSGamers 2005-02-12 00:14)

Thanks!:) Another question neutral : Which files do I need to open and which ones do I avoid? i.e. Pages that contain tables or other things that would be displayed and ones that are just code and return values, not HTML codes for layout.

[img]http://forums.punbb.org/img/smilies/cool.png[/img]This is me.[img]http://forums.punbb.org/img/smilies/cool.png[/img]

Just about all the files contain markup as well as code. To make your life easier you could avoid the files in the "include" directory but even some of those contain markup. PunBB does not use templating (apart from main.tpl) like some other bbs systems so all the code and markup is wrapped up together.

I don't mean to be mean or anthing: but (Rickard) Could you redo PunBB using templates or do you belive that would be too much to ask? Anyone else that wants to - be my guest! Please? yikes

Believe it or not, the subject of templates has been debated before smile

i think the main arguments against it are, its too much of a bloat and not many people will use it, and you can do almost anything with the css now

What is wrong with the templates that is used right now? Alot of changes can be done throght them and header.php/footer.php + CSS..

When i am at it; wouldn't it be simpler to put everything that relates to a specific div etc. inside one css block?
So that things like

DIV.postleft DT, DIV.postmsg H4, TD.tcl H3, DIV.forminfo H3, P.postlink, DIV.linkst LI,
DIV.linksb LI, DIV.postlinksb LI, .blockmenu LI, #brdtitle H1, .pun SPAN.warntext, .pun P.warntext {FONT-WEIGHT: bold}

can be avoided?

If i (for example) want to change the .postmsg class, i will (as it is right now) have to search every css-file and edit 2-10(?) diffrent css blocks, which is kind of inpractical since it would also affect other classes..
This would also increase the skin making.. ;-)

bubach: true, but what if you wanted to change all the bold text everywhere to red. Then you would have 12 different places to look.

I just figure most people will want to change all the borders or all the padding rather than focus on one particular element so it's easier to group them together that way. It would also increase the size of the stylesheets quite considerably.

It doesn't really matter anyway. You can delete the default stylesheets and start from scratch with your own if you prefer.

11 (edited by lebel 2005-02-24 08:08)

CSS of PunBB 2.x stinks !
All that for win 0.000000000001 seconde by page
It's now more difficult to modify completly the style of the forum
I need many more time to do that
CSS and DIV, it's like a hype

I will transform all my punBB 2 with TABLES and forget ugly DIV

Yup, lebel... CSS is just a load of hype. Umpteen nested table layers is soooo much more fun to navigate! Can you believe people want to control layout from a limited number of CSS files instead of dozens of HTML/PHP files? The insanity! And yes, the only reason PunBB switched to CSS was to gain a fraction of a second in loading times. Oh, by the way, pass the crack pipe, please.

[/sarcasm]

(Begins John Kerry rhetorical monologue...)

Could PunBB's CSS be streamlined and easier to navigate? Probably.
Would it be nice if PunBB supported drop-install theme packs? Yes.
Would we like to see your contribution to achieving the above? You betcha.
Do most knowledgable folks desire to revert to table-based layouts? Not a chance.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... wink

13 (edited by Jacq 2005-02-24 10:10)

Where did you get PunBB 2.x anyway? Is there something you should tell us Rickard wink.

The time needed for modifying the layout went from ~4 hours to ~40 minutes for me.

edit: typoes

Justin wrote:

(Begins John Kerry rhetorical monologue...)Could PunBB's CSS be streamlined and easier to navigate? Probably.
Would it be nice if PunBB supported drop-install theme packs? Yes.
Would we like to see your contribution to achieving the above? You betcha.
Do most knowledgable folks desire to revert to table-based layouts? Not a chance.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... wink

Howdy John
1. PunBB's CSS and markup will be simplifiderized. Watch this space.
2. Drop in themes. Great idea but can we drop them in surgically with the minimum amount of civilian casualties.

Best wishes
George

The important thing here is to think differentably.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

The important thing here is to think differentably.

*roffles on waffles* Now look what you made me do...

Ok, now I'm also slighty confused on this issue...
What is the difference between the first and second CSS files?

I'm a hardcore supporter of CSS, even though most of the browsers I use don't support it (Links, Dillo, and Elinks Hacked)...So, please don't change that.
Couldn't the people who are a tad whiny about the CSS organization change it themselves? tongue

Plus- You can work miracles with CSS. Check out Wordpress or CSS-Zan Garden. It's pure insanity what you can do with valid CSS.

*me goes back to munchin' on sammich*

erissiva wrote:

Plus- You can work miracles with CSS. Check out Wordpress or CSS-Zan Garden. It's pure insanity what you can do with valid CSS.

Yeah, at first I was a bit of a skeptic, CSS was a foreign language.

But now I totally believe in the seperation of content/php code/presentation layer.

You mentioned Wordpress, well I ported the default Wordpress 1.5 skin to my blog at http://hcgtv.com.

Now my blog has a new facelift, the words remained the same and the underlying php code was never touched. Just some templating magic sprinkled about.

Yeah, not a big fan of the Kubrick template...I've been editing one called "Benevolence" in order get things done.

*sigh*
It's a shame that more people can't beautify their sites using CSS.
I mean - It's insane how much a simple "border: solid 1px;" will work on an input, submit, or textbox to create an awesome effect.

Behold my flatty goodness!