Topic: TextDrive lifetime hosting

I just wanted to let you guys know that the nice people over at TextDrive are offering a limited number of lifetime hosting deals. For $399 you get TextDrive hosting, for life! The deal includes:

* 1 gigabyte server space (unmetered mail and database storage)
  * 20 gigabytes of bandwidth per month
  * up to 15 top-level domains (with unlimited aliases)
  * unlimited email mailboxes & aliases
  * shell access

Considering the feature list, this really is an excellent deal. The last time they did this, these things sold like hot cakes. But don't take my word for it, have a look around in their forums and see for yourself what people are saying.

TextDrive Hosting for Life (Round II)

Edit: If you signup and choose to support PunBB by selecting it in the drop-down on the signup page, e-mail me and I'll add you to the donor list and update your title in the forums.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

2 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2005-02-28 17:36)

Re: TextDrive lifetime hosting

if i only had $399 right now... nice deal.

added: will any of this go twards your dev costs?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

10% apparently wink

pity its not higher bandwidth, if it was 100gigs i'd probably buy it smile

Still, 20 GB is more than enough for most people (and organisations). PunBB.org consumes approx 5-6GB bandwidth per month.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

MyPunBBs at 11795.40 Megabytes this month, then again i really need to turn gzip on, maybe 100gigs is a bit much but 50 or something, 20 just seems easy to hit maybe i'm just over estimating my sites wink

and some web hostind limit your CPU usage ...

I use lunarpages service, and  paid for 200 gigabytes of bandwidth per month,

but last month, lunarpages suspend my site, because my site use HIGH CPU usage ...

I use xoops for all site.

now I change to punbb, the lower CPU usage, but lunarpages still told me , I use more CPU % ...

so , how about TextDrive ? I really need a Good web hosting ...

TextDrive has gzip on, and they claim you get much more out of your bandwidth that way.

yeh you do especially for things like punbb

And, IIRC, you are only charged if the entire server goes over its bandwidth for the month.

I use about 40Gb/day ... smile

That's pretty crazy.

How? hmm

Simply by
- fantasya.net > "a little traffic" because the final version is not online (about 10gb) ... about 5000 visitors/day (but when fantasya was famous, we grew up until 80/90 per day !)

- sortons.net > about 4000 visits/day, 150 000 pages / day and a lot of multimedia files to see or to download (sounds, videos et of course, photos) ...

but it's "nothing" > when you have a lot of multimedia, "limited" bandwidth is like a piege ...

But the price is simply great : our host is french ( http://www.ovh.fr ) ... and you have a good server (PIV 3ghZ, 512 ram, 80 Hd), and 20mb/s of bandwidth for 149 euros / month !!! (about 160$).

Must be all the multimedia then because normally 150000 pages/day would not amount to anything near 40 GB/day. PunBB.org has approx. 15000 page views per day and the average bandwidth it consumes is 190 MB/day.

Rickard wrote:

Must be all the multimedia then because normally 150000 pages/day would not amount to anything near 40 GB/day. PunBB.org has approx. 15000 page views per day and the average bandwidth it consumes is 190 MB/day.

I don't see on any page of the domain punbb.org a PICTURE smile no Graphics about layout, no graphic banner ... it's so "normal" the numbers are very different smile

Yes, but still smile

One example smile today I have put my magazine in 3 formats
- picture gallery
- zip file (11 mo)
- pdf file (3,5 mo)

Pictures viewed 30 times about >>> 30x32 (pages) x 40 (ko average)
zip file (11 mo) downloaded 90 times >> 90x 11 mo
pdf file (3,5 mo) downloaded or viewed 50 times ... >> 3,5x50 ...

FOR ONLY ONE MEDIA (a magazine)

smile we have bandwitdh pics about 5 ~ 6mb/s on the day !!!

I admit I'm a case : all photos of sortons.net = 6 go on the disk space !!! And a lot of people don't need this.

About Textdrive I see often problems with connecting DB : normal ?

Rod wrote:

About Textdrive I see often problems with connecting DB : normal ?

This should be a one time issue. It should have been already solved if not for the comment spam attacks recently.

19 (edited by Jérémie 2005-03-02 00:48)

This is a design issue. You want to put tons of heavy data (images and the like), you pay for it. Nothing wrong with that (in fact it's quite the opposite, your bank account is good motivation to write good and well designed websites).

About the lifetime deal, there is some question wether email storage is metered or not. And that's quite a difference.

Not a bad deal really- say it lasts 5 years, thats what <$7 month??

Rickard wrote:

For $399 you get TextDrive hosting, for life!

But to note- from their site, it is their lifetime, not yours smile

For a one-time payment of US $399 ? this will be yours for as long as TextDrive exists. We look forward to having you with us for many years to come.

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

Offer closed, they have sold out.

The countdown topic was crazy smile

Darn, I couldnt get my Adsense check fast enough to buy one sad

I dont really like TXD, but if I dont have to pay monthly, I would love it. Even if it is $400

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

what if company goes bankrupt???  Are we screwed then??

Yes, but you generally are when any company goes into liquidation.