Topic: How do I get rid of the in-between page?

You know... the page that forwards you after after single config change / post? It's really annoying!

Re: How do I get rid of the in-between page?

Nevermind, I'm retarded...

I'm guessing you noticed the "Redirect time" setting? smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

why does it say not recommended to use 0 as redirect time? what is the purpose of those in-between pages?
i'm integrating a site on top of punbb and wondering if i should use functions such as redirect() or write my own simple header(...) function wrapper...

The redirect page is there for a reason: user feedback. If the page just refreshes, how is the user supposed to know that something actually happened?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I too found the redirect annoying. When I make a post, it can simply go to my post. When I mark all topics as read, I can see something happened because all the "new posts" images are gone. The redirect is awfully distracting and confusing, if you ask me... especially because the text in it is so long, but I don't think it's needed at all.

I have to agree. I ammore used to a forum / talkboard powered by a special version of webX the redirect page never appears and it has never caused problems. Then when I started using punBB and phpBB2 I found htis which seems very unecessary.

if you really hate it then turn it off

9 (edited by Solovey 2007-04-28 16:26)

I think the label "not recommended" should be removed. It makes it seem as if something will go wrong if the time is set to zero, whereas in reality, it is simply a user interface and aesthetics issue, and forum operation is not affected.

Not recommended warnings should be put on things that have serious reason not to be recommended.

Many people have asked to do without this redirect page, enough so that the option of turning it off is a valid user interface choice, and is in not way detrimental to the operation of the forum, as valid as having it on.

The reason this question comes up so many times in the support forums, is because of the "not recommended" text, which leads people to inquire, what, indeed is behind the dire warning.

If you just took that warning text out of there, less time would be wasted answering support questions about this.

Please consider it.

It's not recommended because without it, users have no confirmation when they post, edit, etc: they're simply directed to a page. Without that confirmation, it's difficult to determine if the action actually went through without looking on the page and finding the result. With the redirect, you're telling the user that the action was successful.
And I really have seen very few topics asking about the option. When they do though, it's because they can't find the option, not because of the "not recommended" label. I don't think the label has very much impact at all.