1 (edited by bluearc21 2004-04-04 02:21)

Topic: textile plugin

textile 2 is soon to be out.  can someone create a punbb / textile 2 plugin?

thanks,
Bluearc21

Re: textile plugin

I don't understand how that thing is any good. It seems hard to use at 1st glance.

Try again, then. smile

Oooh... *Pretends to be impressed*

It turns

sdasd

into

<p>sdasd</p>

okay, sorry, maybe not 4 u. 

But for those who code regularly, typing _this_ to make this and *that* to make that saves keystrokes.  not to mention !/images/this_image.png!:http://thisimage_link.html making a linked image, or !/images/this_image.png(this is an image)!:http://thisimage_link.html making a linked image with alt text.  Or, styling, positioning, coding, etc.

textile homepage wrote:

Textile

A Humane Web Text Generator

what does it do?

Quick block modifiers:
Header: hn.
Blockquote: bq.
Footnote: fnn.
Numeric list: #
Bulleted list: *

Quick phrase modifiers:
_emphasis_
*strong*
??citation??
-deleted text-
+inserted text+
^superscript^
~subscript~
%span%

To apply attributes:
(class)
(#id)
{style}
[language]

To align blocks:
< right
> left
= center
<> justify

To insert a table:
|a|table|row|
|a|table|row|

To insert a link:
"linktext":url

To insert an image:
!imageurl!

To define an acronym:
ABC(Always Be Closing)

To reference a footnote:
[n]

For punbb, it can be used in the forum like here.  Probably should've asked there first.  smile

6 (edited by Skye 2004-04-04 03:36)

bluearc21, I just prefer to do it the old fashioned way. smile

Plus, I think the BBCode system is better and more universal.

oh well.  anyone else interested?

8 (edited by godmode 2004-04-04 04:25)

i agree with skye. ill stick with the bbcode system

but, but, but... anyone else? *wimper*  (note: *wimper* is wimper with textile, try typing it once, and see how fast, smooth, intuitive it is... )

What's textile? Is it just a function library for text to HTML conversion or is it an application?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yes, it's a function library.  BTW, Dean, the creator of textile, already is using your punBB in one of the best forums I've ever experienced.  And textile is used instead of BBCode *blah*.  I have no idea what the license is for using the library, but I know there is an MT plugin.
Again, here is what it does:

textile wrote:

Replace single and double primes (' and ") used as quotation marks with HTML entities for opening and closing quotation marks (?? and ??) in readable text, while leaving untouched the primes required within HTML tags.

Replace double hyphens (--) with an em-dash (?) entity.

Replace single hyphens surrounded by spaces with an en-dash (?) entity.

Replace triplets of periods (...) with an ellipsis (?) entity.

Convert many nonstandard characters (?úß???) to browser-safe entities corresponding to keyboard input.

Apply block- and phrase-level structural tags automatically and at the discretion of the writer via quick tags.

Allow the quick creation of simple and complex tables

Allow the simple application of style, class, id, language and alignment attributes to elements

Create hyperlinks and insert images via quick tags.

Define acronyms via quick tags

Wrap an <acronym> tag around runs of three or more capital letters automatically.

Convert (TM), (R), and (C) to ?, ®, and ©

Convert the letter x to a dimension sign: 2x4 to 2×4 and 8 x 10 to 8×10

Ah, ok. Nice forum :D I haven't tried out TextPattern, but it looks really cool. I'm currently using MT for the news here on punbb.org, but it's overkill for such a simple task.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I love writing with Textile, since it's (IMO, of course) so much faster and easier than BBCode. All those ['s and ]'s get on my nerves and take time to type compared to the equivalent Textile markup.

Dean uses Textile over at his forums. I've asked him to see if he feels like sharing that mod.

Thanks. I've also emailed Dean some weeks back... no response yet... sad 

No other takers, huh?

The only problem I see with this type of mod is that you are rendering a single ASCII character as a function. Implimentation of this will be harder then you might expect.

Do, or do not.

16 (edited by bluearc21 2004-04-20 15:01)

Ahh... well, since Dean has already done it (ASCII conversions)... it won't be hard at all! (me thinks... guess if it was that easy, I would have been able to do it!) sorry, maybe not so easy.

zc923 wrote:

The only problem I see with this type of mod is that you are rendering a single ASCII character as a function. Implimentation of this will be harder then you might expect.

Well, Dean's already done it. Here is some source code for Textile 1.

Dean is very busy with Textpattern, but he told me he'd do some work on Textile 2, including releasing a PunBB mod, as soon as the work on Textpattern calms down a bit. So it's coming.

Yippie!  Hopefully PunBB forum members will come around by the time Dean does... JK!

I'd love to see this implemented, since I've still got the habit of _italics_ and *bold* from DOS days. tongue

But I wonder how well these kind of things work with double-byte character sets.

I am waiting eargerly for a Textile mod -  the ] and [s are very awkward to type in my keyboard (a US keyboard emulating a Portuguese one), i almost tie my fingers in knots when typing them.

agreed.  The [brackets] should be left out of inline text editing - and writing content especially. smile

22 (edited by alicson 2005-02-28 23:22)

*discovery* ! 
bluearc21 introduced Rickard to Textpattern... and PunBB came to be a staple on TextDrive....
i feel like i've dug up a bit of genealogy smile

this is an old thread, but i'm with bluearc: (though it takes a bit toget used to) textile is tons less cumbersome than bbcode, and makes typing code much much easier.

*edit: p.s. thanks bluearc!

Simply great !!! smile

Rickard ... could you innove by replacing BBcode by this textile code ? smile Very impressive (and indeed, easier than the [ ] ...)

It's probably also worth looking at MarkDown, which some people find to be more syntactically intuitive. Adding support for another "dialect" is relatively easy once the parse/replace code core is implemented, so many content management systems such as WordPress and Drupal support both Textile and MarkDown.