Re: PunCMS

no i haven't even started yet, and its not a mod

Connorhd wrote:

and its not a mod

What is it?

You said a few weeks ago that it will be released in 1 or 2 weeks...

Ludo,

well its a whole new script really, i dunno, and no i didn't i said i might start to work on it in 1 or 2 weeks

Connorhd wrote:

well its a whole new script really, i dunno, and no i didn't i said i might start to work on it in 1 or 2 weeks

Maybe you should lie and say that you're never going to work on it again so people will stop bugging you. wink
Come on, people...He's got tons of other stuff to do. Stop bothering him...

The cms Gary build is really good. I had not seen it. See here http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=27114#p27114
The problem is I don't know how to got it. I've not found where to download this cms. Somebody knows?
I tried to talk with Gary but he did not reply to my mail...

Any idea?

Ludo,

its not actually a cms its just a portal page, using the markup i did for my puncms in an earlier example wink

Thank you for this reply Connorhd
Could you tell me where I can download this portal page with its markup? I think it's a good work.

Ludo,

well you could steal it from that site, but i'm going to release my miniportal mod for 1.2.x in the next few days/weeks which will basically do what that site does, add a news page with links and stuff, i just want to get the poll mod out first, then the miniportal, then the chat mod lol

I do not want to steal anything. I'm just impatient wink
moreover, I could not get the css with stealing.

Ludo,

well you can blame my maths teachers tongue too much homework to make the miniportal as well tongue

Didn't know where to post it (here is as good as anywhere else), but I found a page that claims to fix alot of IE CSS issues:
http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/intro/

It's apperantly some sort of Javascript collection thats called IE7.. wink
Anyone tried it? With that, it would be much easier to make clean CSS look the same in both FF and IE.

/ Christoffer

wow that looks really good

That does look cool.
Except, Microsoft is apparently pushing to get IE7 (the real one) out this year. It is supposed to be more standards compliant - but we all know that Microsoft software is supposed to do a lot of things that it doesn't.

89 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2005-03-06 22:11)

what if they made the windows core opensource? hmmm...  how much better do you think it would be?

on topic: Connorhd, will your "portl/cms" use the styles from the forum it's with to style the front page ala punbb.org?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

IE7 is great, but has by definitions some down issues. The major one is that a IE client with javascript de-activated is screw up, and don't know why. And I'm pretty sure it's not that rare (at least >1% of total population).

91 (edited by Paul 2005-03-07 03:39)

I don't think I would use IE7. With 10% of people surfing with javascript disabled it's a hack too far.

As for the next version of IE, it appears its going to be mainly security related and may even have the same rendering engine as IE6. The big danger is that they will fix the stuff which allows all the hacks to work but not the stuff the hacks fixed in the first place. The end result could be IE remains broken but there are no working hacks that can be used to fix it. I think if they can't give it a whole new standards compliant rendering engine I would rather they left it alone.

Paul wrote:

I don't think I would use IE7. With 10% of people surfing with javascript disabled it's a hack too far.

As for the next version of IE, it appears its going to be mainly security related and may even have the same rendering engine as IE6. The big danger is that they will fix the stuff which allows all the hacks to work but not the stuff the hacks fixed in the first place. The end result could be IE remains broken but there are no working hacks that can be used to fix it. I think if they can't give it a whole new standards compliant rendering engine I would rather they left it alone.

Ewww...No thanks - I'll stay with my extended Firefox Optimized Trunk Build. wink

IE is bad ... didn't you know ? smile

94 (edited by buzzkill 2005-03-07 21:24)

It?s not the fact that IE is bad, most of us here know that.  It?s the fact that we have to live with a broken browser that the majority of people still use and will continue to use that is the problem.  IE will not go away. That is a fact.  I don?t care how much better the other browsers are at the standards.  As long as IE is bundled with Windows, people will use it, especially the uneducated user.  Not to mention that major corporations that have standardized on Windows as the OS of choice, have custom versions of not only the OS, but IE as well.  IT departments within these corporations don?t care about web standards; they care about standardized loads of the OS, and keeping systems on their network as similar as possible. I remember when IE first came out, and NN was the browser most people used.  Once IE was determined to be a ?better? browser, I started to see more and more people use it.  NN6 spelt the death of Nutscrape.  I truly believe that if Netscape had done a better job at the time, IE would not have achieved the market share that it has now.  Competition is good; it keeps everyone on their toes.  The fact that MS basically eliminated their competition puts us in the boat we are in today.  Why would MS care about web standards anymore?  They stopped when they ?didn?t have any competition?.  Maybe with the advent of FireFox, and the fact that they loose market share on a daily basis to the Mozilla Group, will turn the light bulb on at MS. But I doubt it.  I guarantee that the ratio to IE and FF will plateau, and you will still see IE as the more dominate browser in use.  Just the fact the IE7 will only be security fixes tell you that web standards are not a top priority for MS.

Just incase the day does come when MS fixes its IE issues I use the conditional comments that only IE will see to reference an external IE only style sheet, to keep all my hacks in one place.  This way I don?t have to search through one style sheet to get rid of the IE hacks if and when they are fixed.

This is a topic all on it own.  the saga continues......

On that note what about Opera?s problems wink

Don't get me started on Opera...

lol wink

I'm planning to use PunBB as a standard forum for my RkCMF smile Ver 0.6 should have it.

My site [PHP, Python, Linux]

Connorhd wrote:

add a news page with links and stuff, i just want to get the poll mod out first, then the miniportal, then the chat mod lol

Well, I do not need puncms in the whole. I just need need a home page with a good mark up similary to punbb forum .... smile

Ludo,

Ludo wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

add a news page with links and stuff, i just want to get the poll mod out first, then the miniportal, then the chat mod lol

Well, I do not need puncms in the whole. I just need need a home page with a good mark up similary to punbb forum .... smile

Ludo,

Why not use the news generator plugin for that? It's perfect for the job [simple demo here] smile

100 (edited by Ludo 2005-03-15 11:38)

I'm not able to customise too much.
I need a homepage like Gary made (http://dragonfighter.gary13579.info/cms.php)
Unfortunately, this home page was made for 1.2 dev so it's useless to got it.
I need a homepage which uses punbb forum style.

Ludo,