1 (edited by AlexeyZ 2005-03-25 09:18)

Topic: Another "Log In" problem - HTTP/1.0

Some users of my forum cannot log in: they type correct username and password.

Then "Logged In. Redirecting...". And, finnaly, "Your are not logged in"

I have analyzed server logs, and noticed, that requests from their IPs look like
"GET /forum/index.php HTTP/1.0" 200 7688

But for other users, I see: "GET /forum/index.php HTTP/1.1" 200 2375

All other things are the same (cookies are enabled, no frames or redirects)

Re: Another "Log In" problem - HTTP/1.0

Same problem here only with internet explorer sad

Ditto. I put my name and password into Harvest Moon Eternity, and my username appears logged in at the bottom, but the top says "you are not logged in", and I can't do anything.

AlexeyZ: What kind of browser are they using? I didn't think any browsers sent HTTP 1.0 requests these days.

Talon: Huh?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard:

IE6, Opera 7

But they are using corporate firewall, which, I suppose, sents HTTP/1.0 headers.

Also, they have no problems with other forums (build on phpBB or other engines)

So, is it possile to save session information both in cookies and in URLs/hidden fields?

AlexeyZ: PunBB does not use sessions at all. It relies completely on cookies. So the answer to your question is no. I wonder why a corporate firewall would interfere with in that way though. It sounds odd.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard:

But it's very important for me to solve this problem.

Another thing: nobody has problems with logining when I use punBB v1.1, and I lost almost a half of users when decided to upgrade to punBB 1.2

So, the next smile question, what has changed in user identification in v. 1.2 apposed to v. 1.1 ?

Thx in advance

AlexeyZ wrote:

Some users of my forum cannot log in: they type correct username and password.

Then "Logged In. Redirecting...". And, finnaly, "Your are not logged in"

I have analyzed server logs, and noticed, that requests from their IPs look like
"GET /forum/index.php HTTP/1.0" 200 7688

But for other users, I see: "GET /forum/index.php HTTP/1.1" 200 2375

All other things are the same (cookies are enabled, no frames or redirects)

I think I had one of this problems before, and if I do not remember wrong I had to delete the cookie and then
it worked agian.

AlexeyZ wrote:

Another thing: nobody has problems with logining when I use punBB v1.1, and I lost almost a half of users when decided to upgrade to punBB 1.2

So, the next smile question, what has changed in user identification in v. 1.2 apposed to v. 1.1 ?

Nothing really. Well, a few things, but they only pertain to the contents of the cookie.

Ooookay, lemme rephrase that.

I have the same problem as AlexeyZ's first problem mentioned, except I'm a user at a different site and not an admin.

I type in my user name and password. Correctly.

It says "Logged in successfully, redirecting"

And when it redirects, my name shows up in the list of "logged in users", but I get "You are not logged in" at the top, and I am incapable of posting. It only happens most of the time, mostly on my home computer.

Try clearing your cookies.

12 (edited by jop 2005-03-29 15:41)

I have the same problem. Cleaning cookies work, but the after awhile the problem comes back. I'm thinking this might have something to do with it (since this first appeard in 1.2):

PunBB no longer sets a new cookie for every page view. Since PunBB doesn't
store last visit/last action data in the cookie anymore (since 1.1), there
is no need to set a new cookie with username and password hash on every
page view. This means a few bytes less traffic between the webserver and
the client. The downside of this is that users will have to re-login when
the cookie expires after a year. Not a big deal though.

I really can't say what might be wrong because I have never encountered the problem myself. Someone other than myself would have to debug the problem to determine the cause.

I'm trying to debug. It's kindda hard to reproduce though. I think it has something to do with multiple users using the same comp.

15 (edited by Talon 2005-04-02 20:16)

Tried that (clearing cookies), its never worked... I dunno, for some reason I can always log in HERE fine, but not the aforementioned site.

Talon: A link to the forums would help.

http://hmetern.ho8.com/RPG/Forums/index.php

and

http://hmetern.ho8.com/Forum/

They're different parts of the same site. I have the same trouble with both, and if I can't get into one, I can't get into the other either. I think I am also the only one at the site suffering from this problem.

Talon: Do you think the administrator of the boards have assigned different cookie names in config.php? If not, there's the possibility of a collision.

I really have NO idea... I'm in no way a programmer. It hasn't really affected anyone else on the same forum as far as we know, and it's kinda random. Sometimes it lets me log in, sometimes not. Right now, it isn't. You could probably ask the admin that, I'm pretty sure he has/had an account on this board, it's probably HMEternity.

Thank you again, I know I'm not that helpful in describing the problem.