Topic: log in problems... searched & can't solve the problem.

I use phpbb on my forum and I've had my fill!  That software has caused so many headaches!

Anyway, I installed punbb w/o any issues on my dev server... it uses the http://dev.domain.com convention but I get REALLY strange behavior when I attempt to actually log in, post & soforth.

When I log in, a cookie is  set, I get the log in sucess screen/forward & then it refreshes to the index page w/ the 'login' link & the 'you are not logged in' text.  When I click on a top nav link (like search for example) the administration navigation shows up and the logged status shows "logged in"...
When I make posts, they show up, but if I log out, they disappear... same goes with changes to the configuration of the site... they show up for a second and then disappear.  I can't add forums, change categories on anything like that.

I thought it was the log in bug, but after searching the forums and trying several techniques, I still haven't had any luck.

I tried:

1. set the config $cookie_domain to:
  '.domain.com'
  'dev.domain.com'
  ''
2. I saw the FAQ talking about IE6 problems & the P3P... so I commented the // out of functions.php

3. tried deleting cookies

4. tried reinstalling in a different subdomain: dev2.domain.com

This is what the set cookies look like:
punbb_cookie
a%3A2%3A%7Bi%3A0%3Bs%3A1%3A%222%22%3Bi%3A1%3Bs%3A32%3A%22c26e87249e02895391ab365edb5ae8bd%22%3B%7D
domain.com/

(this is with the $cookie_domain set to '.domian.com' it shows dev.domain.com when it's set to '' or 'dev.domain.com')

any help with this would be appreciated sad  not sure what else to try here.

I'm using IE6 and Firefox 1.0.1

thanks... I love what I've seen of pun & would like to use it exclusively with my website...
thanks!

- mko

forums are fun

Re: log in problems... searched & can't solve the problem.

I would love to help you, but it will be difficult without a link to the forums in question.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

gotcha - right now it's on my dev box with a non-routing IP... i'll push out to a production server.
thanks.

forums are fun

it seems to work just fine with my production server... I'll have to debug the dev server myself...
thanks!

forums are fun

ok... so it's working on my production server(s) no problem, but I just spent the entire day trying to debug the dev server with no luck.

I'm still getting stuck @ the log in stage...

1. I log into the forum, it sets a cookie from the appropriate domain
2. I'm refreshed to the index where i see the logged in menu (with the Administration link)... similarly when I'm within Administration section.
3. when I go to User List / Search / Profile, I get the not logged in menu with the Log in link.
4. when I click the logout link, I get sent to the forum index but my status still shows as not logged in.

---

in addition to trying what I tried in the first post, I cleared the cache and reinstalled a number of times.

---

I have a few questions...

1. Are there any PHP configurations settings that might cause issues with the login?
(would taking a look @ my phpinfo help in the diagnosis? if so, I can email it to you.)

2. What access does the db account require?  I assume those required to create & run the install arent' the same as required to operate the forum on a day-to-day basis.

thanks - any help would be greatly appreciated - @ a loss here sad

forums are fun

anyone?  after 2 days, i'm about to give up on punbb sad
If you could just answer the qestions in the last post it might allow me to further debug my dev machine - thanks smile

forums are fun

1. i doubt it i dunno what the problem is but its very odd
2. select/insert/update/delete i guess, if you can install the forum you can run it

ok sad
thanks for the help.

forums are fun

might "register globals" have anything to do with it?

forums are fun

Just to make sure, you're not visiting the forums by accessing http://localhost/ or anything like that right? If you do, any cookie set for bla.domain.com will not apply.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

ok, I'll check that... I don't think that's the case, but I'll confirm on monday.

forums are fun

Check that the clock on dev machine is in sync with your workstation. If they differ more than a year that can cause the cookie to time out immidiatly.

13 (edited by mko 2005-03-30 19:41)

I feel like i'm doing something really STUPID, because punbb works on both my staging server & my dev server... I wonder what the issue could be sad

sigh.

I guess my dev server's a little clogged... I wonder if rebuilding it to mirror my staging/live environment would be a good idea.

forums are fun

I'm not ready to give up on this forum just yet, because imo it kicks serious ass..

Anyway, I reinstalled yet again on the dev box and decided to see what was going on in the database end of it.

- I can log in sucessfully on my first try... it allows me to enter posts and I can see these if I'm @ this url: viewtopic.php?pid=8, but when I back out to the forum view, the posts don't show.

-  the database contains all the data... everything seems to be updating correctly in the DB

- I can't log out, even when I click log out, it shows that I'm still logged in (but won't let me do some actions, for example, within the Admin section)

- i can access all the entered data if I manually go to them via the URL, but the main topic listing isn't updated... nor is the forum list.

Any thoughts?

THANKS ... I really appreciate the help.

- mko

forums are fun

anyone? sad

forums are fun

well its obviously something wrong with your setup and since we can't see it or replicate it we can't really help

I had a similar problem when I first tried out Apache2 ... becuase of an issue between apache and php, the cache stuff was totally whacked, so I needed to make all urls unique with an extra tag in the url ... so I had to go back to apache 1.3 on that server to be able to run punbb (and other things that didn't have unique urls for each visit)

so, it could very well be the server software that's causing it...