Re: Attachment Mod 1.0.1 by Frank H

This one looked like it was developing into an awesome mod.

Any updates on progress?

Mmm, yeah, almost forgot about this smile

been sick for a couple of weeks... and haven't been able to think straight, and that's not good for when one want to make bugfree code wink

but, I think it's working 100% on 1.2 now, I have set up a clean 1.2.1 forum and I'll add it into that at the same time as writing the readme.txt file ... and that I need to write an extra plugin for converting the old attachment mod database into this new one, but, as I've been sick I have fallen behind on univ stuff aswell ... so I'm choked with work ... but I try to make it as fast as I can...

*l*

I'm not rushing you. Take your own time. It was more of a bump of a topic. I saw it and said "Hmmm...This is an awsome mod. Why would no one pay attention to it anymore?"

Take your time, drink some OJ, take some vitamin C. Get well...But, take your time.

big_smile

Frank H wrote:

I think it's working 100% on 1.2 now

Feel free to post the 100% working mod wink If you want..

Im just kidding but I am very anxious to try it out smile

It's too hard to waiting..   T.T

hey frank, just out of curiousity.. hows it coming?

I'm waiting for the new version also. Can't really upgrade to newer punbb because it's lacking attachments..

Any progress with the mod, Frank?

definitly look good

Any plans when this mod will work in 1.2.3?

/Fredrik

sorry guys ... my life has been a bit to hectic a while (when trying to catch up on what I missed), so not much updates ... but I must force myself to fixing this ...

don't worry about it wink (but do force yourself to fix it tongue)

Connorhd wrote:

don't worry about it wink (but do force yourself to fix it tongue)

*roffles*
Kind of like I need to force myself to get 1.2.4 with my hacks running on my test server.

Frank: How about releasing the code as it is so someone can take over and submit the rest back to you or something like that? The mod clearly isn't progressing (or then I'm blind) and many people need it..

just because I'm quiet, doesn't mean it's not progressing... most hurdels are fixed ... had to skip using a plugin to update the attachments (didn't get $_GET variables to work with plugins) ... so I've written the updating script in it's own file ... fixed a couple of bugs, and rewritten the readme.txt (once again wink) ... the updater isn't entirely finished, but I think all the important stuff in it is ok, but I must do some testing before I know it's ok ... one of my forums has about 350MB of data in ~1400 attachments, and I'll clone that and use it as a testbench for the updater ... fairly large, and enough of files to spot any problems... I hope wink

I decided that I won't 'update' forum rules, as I haven't figured out a good way to make sure the rules will be correct with the new usergroup system ... so all forumrules needs to be added after install...

Either way ... I've put in an effort to make this mod as complete as possible, and I'd guess that there won't be any new complete rewrites on this in the near future, probably most small updates, for more features (like supporting resume, for download managers(I skipped it in this release, as I haven't got any tools to debug it wink)), or ... hmm... something else big_smile

Okay..

I assume from what you said that it will use the same method as the earlier version? One attachment per post that goes to SQL? So it's totally compatible with the old one? smile

no, thats why the upgrade script is complicated as it will not store the files in SQL or at least thats what i thought

143 (edited by Frank H 2005-03-31 17:14)

Connorhd is right, everything was stored in the database in the first attachment mod, now the data is stored on disk, so I've needed to create an update script that will update the old mod to the new one ... so it will be compatible with the old one, so, no worries about loosing data (as long as you backup before trying to upgrade wink) (the update script will take the old table data, and put the data onto a file, and put in the info about it in the new table 'version')

And also, this new way of storage will help ease backups ... as one only need to fetch new files (if attachments are deleted, the database entry is removed, and the file on disk is shrunk to 0 bytes... but the file is still there, so that no new attachments will use the same filename = only need to download new files when making backups smile)

And, if someone would like to make FTP storage instead of filestorage, I think it won't be that hard (need to replace one function for saving the attachment, and the script that downloads it needs to be fiddled with ... )... but I won't make it wink

Frank, and what about those who haven't 1.0 version, and have no need to "upgrade". Just set it up on pure punbb... They could be able to use it before those who have a "migration script"

And one question about filename of stored files. How they will be named? As uploaded? If so, what if there is already that filename stored? If not - will they be renamed as template like '_post_'.$last_filenum.$extension and simply "select id, real_filename, author, date from attachment_list " table ?
This is "plugin/mod", people really need. So don't delay beta/release smile

install is the same for both ...just that those that used the old one need to run the upate script before opening the board public again (so that there won't be id collisions)

not as uploaded, they use random (and unique) names, the database handles what they are supposed to be called (as the mod goes through a php file for filetransfer, just like in the old mod, only difference is that the data is fetched from a file instead of a row in the databasetable)
(did it this way as if someone is stupid enough to put the files on a place where browsers can reach, it should be as hard as possible to bruteforce to find files, and if the files doesn't follow another pattern than random characters), and the files are also stored in subfolders named in random manner aswell...

"oier890325sd09345rwherwoier35s6y.attach" might a file be called on the filesystem ... but, the script opens that file and transfer the info over to the browser with the correct name wink

Got it.
And when it will be released?
About week/month/couple_of_monthes/half_a_year/year? smile

hopefully less than a year? ... nah kidding ... if it's not out within a month I'll defenetly let you all pick a stick and hit me with it ... big_smile

nah ... shouldn't be too long ... but univ takes first prio ...but I need to upgrade my forums ... so I need it aswell ... but I don't want to release something with huge bugs/security issues that can be used to destroy a complete forum tongue  ... so I'm trying to cover all those things ...

(and releasing betas etc usually just cause more work ... as if something needs changing one need to upgrade those things aswell wink)

Yeah, it would be great if we could get this soon.. Expected it for two months now..

We've been waiting for this since the PM mod came. In january we were about to start something up that folks have been waiting for.. but we choosed to wait for all the mods.. If we only had predicted this...

Oh, well. Thanks for what you're doin', love your work.

// Gardell

Eagerly awaiting this mod. smile

Hmm. Since there have been A LOT of vulnerabilities in punbb recently I cannot run the old version (1.1.x) anymore and I cannot upgrade since there isn't attachment mod available (which is necessary in my case). So the only solution is to disable it from the three hosts I'm running punbb and maybe re-enable it later on when new fixed punbb release is available with the attachment mod.