Topic: SMTP server Timeouts

I got error this error when I try to sending email from the web page

Error: Could not connect to smtp host "smtp.hotpop.com" (110) (Connection timed out).

But when I sending using ms. Outlook it looks okay. Because from Outlook I can change setting for
Server Timeouts from 10 seconds to 10 minutes.

From Outlooks, Server Timeouts can access when editing the accounts,
and then goto -> "More Settings..." -> Tab "Advanced"

My question is how can I change that similiar setting for PunBB 1.2.3?? Please, is there anyone knows about it?

Re: SMTP server Timeouts

1. Upgrade to 1.2.4 smile

2. Open up include/email.php and look for:

if (!($socket = fsockopen($smtp_host, $smtp_port, $errno, $errstr, 15)))

replace 15 with whatever timeout you want.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by whiteh0rs3 2005-04-03 17:44)

15 in here in seconds or in minutes?

I've already try changing it into 600 by assumed that it's in seconds. But it still can't solve my problem.

Before I got this error I can send email smoothly, I don't know exactly what cause this problem.

Does anyone knows how to solve this problem? Thanks before for helping me...

No one can help??

Just a quick question. Doesn't your web host provide you with a mail service? Have you tried not entering anything in the SMTP host/username/password fields in admin/options?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I don't include my hosting with mail service, so I use free service from hotpop.com
Before this error came up all mail sending had working greatly including Registration notification.

I don't know why this become error, I notice this when someone try to registered but they don't receive the random password email. I don't know either is this problem cause by PunBB or the mail service.

What do you think Rickard? is there any possible bugs that I don't know cause I've already upgrading to 1.2.4  manually (using diff)

I doubt it. If the error you're receiving is "Connection timed out" it is most likely a problem with the mail service.

OK.. I have to email the service then, thanks anyway for the feedback Rickard.

Do you have ssh access to your web hosting server. If so you could try to ping it. Maybe hotpop.com has blocked out some ip's ?

I don't know do I have access for ssh or not, I'm a newbie in building a site. But I think I don't have it coz all the service I use in here is all free. I'm just trying to learn how to install a site at real server. PunBB i my choice coz it's easy too understand, quick install, and offcourse free too smile