Re: Easy Poll - 1.1.3

1.0.6 released
Fixes:
Problem with percentages on multiselect (yes/no) polls

Additions:
Moderating abilities (stick, unstick, close, etc)

I enjoy pie :)

I've already take a look at the demo, I think it's cool, have a lot of function.
But I've already install Poll Mod v1.3.0 by Connorhd, and it works fine at me.

I'm affraid if I change to this mod it will mess my forums, cause I need to uninstall before sad.
By the way how does this mod comparable with Poll mod? smile

Well I cannot really say fairly, as I have never used Pun Poll. Someone who has used them both would have to answer.

well theres demo boards for them both, however i don't recommend installing mine as i'm not going to develop it while Mediator is doing a better job on the code side, as for how it looks/feels you'll just have to try both

55 (edited by shinko_metsuo 2005-03-27 04:32)

I can't set options and I get this error when making a poll

Notice: Undefined index: poll_max_fields in poll.php

and on the poll the options do not show.

Meet again Mediator.. but now at different side big_smile
After I get error at Poll Mod and since Connorhd stop to develop it, I turn my side to this poll.

I wondering, Mediator could you adopt the Admin plugin from Poll Mod which is can control how Guests & Members using the poll. I think it would be nice & offcourse more powerfull. I'll wait for the next versions.

shinko_metsuo: You need to be sure you ran install_mod.php.

I ran it and followed the instructions in the readme and I got that error

I really linked the check box to add a poll that Connorhd had in his design instead of the link with easy poll. Could someone do this?

-gezz

That would require more intergration with the original base code, which is what I want to stay away from.

can you fix poll.php?

shinko_metsuo there is nothing wrong with it, its a problem with you either not running the install_mod.php, or somehow your catch not refreshing

I ran install_mod.php and I my catch is refreshing.

Is there a way of having a visible bar to display the percentages(ie. like a bar graph)? I think this was in the original pun poll previous to the 1.2.* series. Having just the percentage isnt that exciting so it would be really nice to add.

-gezz

gezz that is a feature that I havn't decided whether or not I'll add, however If I recieve more requests I will consider it.

The pool would become really more populare, i think,  with those to changes:
- the graphic bars available
- the ability to install it as a plugin without all the manually changes.

It 's not a demand, just an opinion from a non-programmer.

Thanks Pun
my forums

As far as I know this type of mod would be impossible using just plugins. There would be no way to tell the difference between regular topics, and polls

But you can make poll mod like peronal message mode (I mean less code changes, and all additions are external - through "required").
It will make mode more flexible, and easer to install, specially when you already have made some changes, and make mod more different versions friendly.
For example - there is no need to make a clone of topicview.php (pollview.php). You only need to insert there a couple of "required" and all poll code will be there. The same thing with send.php.
Also some cleaning-up of code won't be redundant smile

That isn't exactly true. As far as I recall the private message mod just ads some links to the pages, it doesn't actually really modify them. That wouldn't work with this. If I did make it so you had to include files rather than modify the code in viewforum there would still be replacements required, and you would have to include several files. As for the changes to viewtopic.php again its not exactly correct. The viewpoll.php file uses slightly modified queries so that would have to be changed. There are also variable changes in the file that could not be replicated without adding in files that were extremly redundant.

The modification was created with the intention of least changes possible, and I feel I have accomplished this. Six changes to two files, isn't really that much.

70 (edited by Dexus 2005-04-05 02:21)

for me, there were much more changes, because I'd changed <div> scheme for topicview.php and some changes in post.php..
so you must notice, that this mod works fine only on pure, without any modifications punbb1.2.4..
but it still very buggy, even on pure punbb.
replacements  are preferable, then entirely new files. because of version and different modification collisions.

It would be insane for me to design mods around all the other modifications in existance smile. As for the bugs, I cannot fix what is not reported.

72 (edited by Dexus 2005-04-05 04:53)

Basicly you have to take in account slightly modified punbb's.
As for me - I'm in deep doubt about using mod, that will force me to entirely rewrite it to fit all other integrated mods, and style remakes smile.
For example, I've changed styles a lot. Message formats also "slightly" changed. Basicly ALL php files have been updated.
It will be easier to have "change" instructions, instead of entirely new files. With this files I've gotta "fc" them and watch all modifications you've made, and after - reintegrate it into my version. It troubles me. smile

I've looked into install_mod.php, and noticed, that "question" field has been added to "topics" table. What for??
I think ID link to "polls" table will be fine. In the same time you could be able to moderate polls in more flexible ways, i.e. to unlink polls from topic; to list polls (with links to topics); to search in poll's questions; to open/close poll (without influence on topic's open state); to clear poll state; to add poll to existed topic, etc.
It's not a secret, that "polling" idea come when topic with related subject is already created. Also "re-vote" ability will be important (or maybe revotable checkbox in poll options). For topic's author this "add poll" ability will be fascinating.

As for bugs. I've noticed a lot of wrong links in forumview.php. Some of them points to viewpoll.php, some to topicview (in the same line).
I had not much time to examine all those bugs, because they appear swarming to me, so I startled, and fastly "undone" this mod smile

Well I am ofcourse sorry to hear that you won't be using the modification. The fact of the matter is most people prefer not having to modify bunchs of files by hand so I will not be changing the structure of this modifications. As for the bugs in viewforum.php I just checked and there was nothing, from what I could see, like you described, so I am not sure where you saw that.

Anyways on another note any requests for 1.1.0?

Atm there are going to be a lot of bug fixes. I have also added the ability to make it so certain user groups cannot create polls. And ofcourse the requested graphical bars to represent percents. The beta can be viewed here http://www.rscheatnet.com/mods/Easy_Pol … .php?id=2. Thanks to Connorhd for the help with comming up with an acceptable way to create the bars without using lovely GD smile

Again comments and suggestions are welcome

2 months ago I recently using Poll Mod made by Connorhd, then Mediator launching Easy Poll... I begin to test it into my forum and the result is good eventhough the features not as good as Poll Mod.

So I decided to using it until now. And as far as I know I'm using almost all of Mediator's mod smile)
I give salut and thanks for all of his job and all of his time to making good mod for PunBB.

So all of you guys don't just give criticism to Mediators!!
I think support even in the form of words will very useful smile Keep the good work dude...

75 (edited by Dexus 2005-04-05 12:33)

I insist on the word "the best vote/polls system".
I guess my suggestions about topic/polls hybrid php (one, common, not two different) with independently linked TOPICS TO POLLS, not vice-versa, as now, were ignored sad.
With this kind of link, you could make Polls without posts at all, and in the same time there will be ability to add a number of polls to existed topic. Does it sounds too bad for you?

Mediator, why do you use spaces instead of tabs?