Topic: Will there be any major updates after 1.2.5?

Hey!

As the topic says.. In a short while that is..
I will build, lets say a, "very" modified forum, and will not upgrade for a while, not before a larger update, like 1.2 was.

I mean, 1.2 - 1.2.5 have happend pretty fast..

So, will there by like a 1.2.6 in a short while or can i take 1.2.5 to build on?

Thanks Rikard, you're the man!

// Gardell

Re: Will there be any major updates after 1.2.5?

the releases aren't planned they just happen when a major security problem is found, i doubt rickard wants to release a 1.2.6 anytime soon but if a major problem is found then he has to smile

3 (edited by Gardell 2005-04-14 13:01)

Well i thought if there was any discovered.. And yes, there was two, and I thought it maybe were more. Only want to be certain. smile

// Gardell

There are a few bugs that have, I think he put it, "piled up" since 1.2.5 was released (in addition to the 2 changes that you have to make) wink
So there should be another release at some point: as to when, it depends on if more things (which are more critical) show up.

On the question of security, this might be a naive question but is there an inherent problem with the technology used by forums in general? Is there anything more secure than using PHP and SQL to do this kind of thing? It is just annoying (for users, of course, but surely for developers too) to have to constantly release patches to fix security holes. 

I can't claim to know what I am talking about as I have never done anything more than plain old html and css, so I'm asking the experts out there - are security patch upgrades to forums (certainly not restricted to punbb) just a fact of life? Or are we all missing something?

Pre-empting some answers to this post, I guess you could say you get what you pay for - if you want total security then pay for a system that has a team of security testers working day and night....which will probably also be a horrile mess of tables and images everywhere....

I'm really not having a dig at punbb, which I love, I just wondered what the general feeling is on this point?

6 (edited by buzzkill 2005-04-14 21:08)

Any time you allow a user to have direct input into the content of a website (i.e form based submissions), security will be an issue.  The reason there has been so much talk about community forums is that there are some common functions used by forums programmed in PHP that are susceptible to a recently discovered "flaw".  Patches are not necessarily a bad thing.  It good to know that the developers are on top of things and have the fix(es) available in a relatively short period of time.

Also,  I would dare say that the majority of forum software used today is based on PHP & mySQL/sqLite/PostgeSQL.  All are free and have a large community supporting them.

The only thing thats certain is that there can only be four more minor updates. After that we run out of decimals.

Paul wrote:

The only thing thats certain is that there can only be four more minor updates. After that we run out of decimals.

are you sure?? ....no but i have to ask are you sure ?? tongue big_smile

If that problem becomes an issue we could use the hex-decimal system ie 1.2.a, 1.2.b ...

whats wrong with 1.2.10 ?

Smartys: Correct smile

Connorhd: Nothing at all.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Okey, I should wait then?

// Gardell

well no, if you don't upgrade you site is vunerable, thats why there have been lots of versions, so people don't get "hacked", if you keep waiting incase of another version then you'll never upgrade, best thing to do is upgrade by doing the edits as the upgrades come out as it only takes 10min each time and you don't lose your mods

Yeah, thought about too.. But I will not upgrade, it's a new forum.. Oh, will I not loose my mods? yikes The updater does overwrite doesnt it?

// Gardell

there isn't an "updater" you can either

1. overwrite all your old files
2. patch your old files ( http://punbb.org/download/patch/instructions.txt )
3. manually edit your files ( e.g. 1.2.4->1.2.5 http://punbb.org/download/hdiff/hdiff-1 … 1.2.5.html )

Ahh, I see. Thanks then. smile

// Gardell