1 (edited by Ludo 2005-04-24 17:59)

Topic: site using punbb styles

Hi,

It took me a lot of time but it's now finished.
Thanks to Rickard who created punbb, to Connorhd who helped me with the use of css, I'm proud to show you the new version of pluriservices which is now compatible with firefox smile (the former version had difficulties...)
See here: http://www.pluriservices.net

I hope you'll like it,

Ludo,

Re: site using punbb styles

Ludo, very well done.

wow wonderfull job there ludo

wow i realy like it, ive been planing to do the same thing with my site.

looking really nice! Can you write a step-trough how you did it? smile

BAW

heres how to make the miniportal, although ludo is using a slightly different thing with a 3 column layout http://punres.org/doku.php?id=tutorials:miniportal

Bengus wrote:

Can you write a step-trough how you did it? smile

I could if what Connorhd suggested does not satisfy you.
As Connorhd is used to saying, I'm quite lazy. But if it's needed, I'll do it.

Ludo,

Cool smile

I would have a look at it in Firefox though. There are some problems with the images.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I would have a look at it in Firefox though. There are some problems with the images.

Which images? On which pages? With which version of firefox?

Ludo,

These images. I'm using Firefox 1.0.3.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

its not cached from the old css is it? i dunno if you clicked on any of the testing sites ludo posted

12 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2005-04-27 16:40)

Connorhd wrote:

its not cached from the old css is it? i dunno if you clicked on any of the testing sites ludo posted

i get the same thing and i just cleared my cache. also running ff 1.0.3.

addition: looks to me the images aren't resizing themselves to fit in the smaller newspost so it's throwing everything out of wack. just my unproffessional opinion.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Rickard wrote:

These images. I'm using Firefox 1.0.3.

It's really strange. I'm also using FF 1.0.3 and I do not have the same result. Huumm... It's difficult for me to solve a problem I do not see.

Ludo,

14 (edited by Talikar 2005-04-29 01:23)

I too have FF 1.0.3 and I'm not seeing any problems, it could be your resolution though. Works fine in 1024x768...

Ok, on any resolution above that problems start occuring with the images not fitting properly.

As for the top image (the one that just says pluriservices.net), that could be because the ad banner next to it doesn't load for everyone.

could be something to do with an adblocker, e.g. if it blocks the banner it might mess up the page

I tried 1024X768, 800X600, IE, FF
All is working good.
But, I think what Connorhd said can be the right problem. With a ad blocker, it can have effect on the page. I go on thinking it's quite strange wink.

Ludo,

actually if you make the page max width the images go slightly funny as the text is not long enough to push them down

when you say max width, you mean more than 1024X768 ?

Ludo,

yeh way more, i'm at 1280x960 and i streched it even more than that

The best way to fix it would be to apply a class to the <p> which contains the poster |comments and then apply clear:both to it. For example

<p class="postedby">
Then in the stylesheet
p.postedby {clear:both}

The problem with the images won't just happen in Firefox, it will happen in all browsers other than Internet Explorer. Even in Internet Explorer the "posted by | comments" line will end up next to the image rather than underneath it if the browser is stretched large enough.

Ok,
So, I did what Paul notices me.
My screen can't go more that 1024 X 768. somebody with higher to tell me if it now goes good?

Ludo,

Looks fine at 1280px. There is no reason why it shouldn't work perfectly now at any resolution and even when the news items are very short or the images very large.

Paul wrote:

Looks fine at 1280px. There is no reason why it shouldn't work perfectly now at any resolution and even when the news items are very short or the images very large.

smile