Topic: Updating to 1.0 safely?

I'm running rc2 on www.keffatliv.tk and I'm wondering if it's safe to just overwrite the old files with the new files? Or will I lose styles, forums, settings and stuff?

Is there a trick to updating?

Re: Updating to 1.0 safely?

I did an overwrite and all I lost was some info in main.tpl (my .png-logo for example) and the style i used wouldnt work, but it was just to rewrite it a bit, for example, everything in the old style was named pun_* and now pun*, just deleted the _ and it worked..
Since it was named Gnaget.css it did´nt get replaced by the new styles, so it was so much of a loss..
And i lost an avatar (mine), just one, and thats about it..
No posts etc, just 3 minor things that was easy to fix..

//Jocke

When you upgrade by unpacking the new archive on top of your old installation you will potentially lose:

- modifications to the default styles.
- modifications to the template files.

All other files, posts and settings will remain. So, if you want to be on the safe side, make backups of your styles and template files before you upgrade.

As far as I can see, you haven't modified your template files or any of the default styles in any way, so that won't be a problem. What you will have to do though, is to update the style "sc02" so that it will work with 1.0. I took the liberty of doing that for you:

http://punbb.org/stuff/sc02.css

This is how it should look after you have upgraded to 1.0.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

4 (edited by Locke 2003-08-07 15:16)

Thanks a lot. I'm off to 1.0 now.

Edit: Hmm, I unpacked everything into that folder but it still says verssion 1.0 rc2 down right. Why is this?

Maybe I should try and delete all the files (except config.php) and try again?

Edit2: Horror: I get bad request if I try to click on profile.

Edit3: I found the reason now, My account doesnt sseem to be in the userlist. But I can log in and out without problems. This is freaky.

Edit4: Maybe changign my users id from 1 to 2 could solve the problem. 2 is unused. But I'm still wondering why the version is wrong.

Nidhogg wrote:

Hmm, you lost an avatar? That's weird. It shouldn't happen.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Locke wrote:

Thanks a lot. I'm off to 1.0 now.

Edit: Hmm, I unpacked everything into that folder but it still says verssion 1.0 rc2 down right. Why is this?

Maybe I should try and delete all the files (except config.php) and try again?

Edit2: Horror: I get bad request if I try to click on profile.

Edit3: I found the reason now, My account doesnt sseem to be in the userlist. But I can log in and out without problems. This is freaky.

Edit4: Maybe changign my users id from 1 to 2 could solve the problem. 2 is unused. But I'm still wondering why the version is wrong.

Please read the upgrade instructions in docs/install.html.

Ooops. Not reading the manual always strike back on me. Although, I get

Error on line: 111
mysql reported: Duplicate entry '1' for key 1

when I run 10_rc2_to_10_update.php

Whew, problem solved. As it eventually showed up there were no less than twain Guest accounts and that caused some troubel. Thanks for all the help Kennel. (It feels great to have you as a registered member on the forum. big_smile )

I'm happy you sorted it out. How you could have ended up with more than one Guest account, however, is beyond me.

Locke wrote:

I'm running rc2 on www.keffatliv.tk and I'm wondering if it's safe to just overwrite the old files with the new files? Or will I lose styles, forums, settings and stuff?

Is there a trick to updating?

I noticed now that this problem occured to me too.

The picture is still there, called 1.jpg. But (!) my user account doesn't have id 1 anymore. That id was given to the guest account. So that is probably the problem.

Kennel wrote:

Nidhogg wrote:

Hmm, you lost an avatar? That's weird. It shouldn't happen.

Yeah, but it still happened.. But just to me, not to any of the other users..
Maybe it just was a glitch smile

//Jocke

Ah, of course! Now I know why.