Topic: No Login/Password Fields

Hi,

A user on my forum (new-york-dolls.com/board/index.php) sent me this email with a problem I cant solve:

"I tried registering & then logging on starting Sunday, 5/1 and have made repeated attempts to no avail.  I'm on a MAC and have gone through both AOL & Internet Explorer but so far no luck.  I'm not even sure if my registration went through!"

I registered an account for her, sent her to 'login.php' page and asked her to login but her reply was:

"The same thing is happening once I clicked on the link you sent and I'm on the 'login' page - no box/boxes appear on screen where I can type in my username or password despite instructions that say: Enter your username and password below.  The only box 'below' I do see (on the same line w/the copyright info) can't be typed into!  Could this be a MAC-only issue? "

I asked her to delete cookies, it didnt resolve the issue. She turned off her firewall, it didnt resolve the issue. I searched this forum but couldnt find a similar problem - there was nothing in the FAQ.

Anyone able to help? Thanks

Re: No Login/Password Fields

Ask her to take a screen shot of it tongue

I'm almost certain it's a Mac only issue. My guess is she's using some archaic Internet Explorer version. A screenshot would definately help though smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I think I've come across this before somewhere. It is certainly a IE Mac bug. What would really help is if you could get her to look at the login page on this board and see if she has the same problem. Also ask her which version of IE and AOL she is using.

If you need a quick fix try this right at the bottom of your main stylesheet.

/* Nasty Mac Hack \*/
#punlogin form#login label.conl {float:none}
/* End Mac Hack */

Oops, thats the hack to hide something from IE5Mac. Give me a minute.

Try this

* html #punlogin form#login label.conl {float:none}
/* Nasty Mac Hack \*/
* html #punlogin form#login label.conl {float:left}
/* End Mac Hack */

A user on my message board seems to have that same problem. Also an AOL user, but I don't know if she's on a Mac or PC. Since you offered a quick fix hack, I'm not quite sure what to do with it. When you say "main stylesheet", which file exactly is that? Is it the CSS file in the ...\forum\style\ folder that I'm using as a default for my forum? Or the one in ...\forum\style\imports\? Or another one all together? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My forum can be found here: www.chris-marquette.com/forum

-TeeJay

Paul meant at the bottom of whatever stylesheet your guests are seeing, but I don't think adding it to imports/base.css instead would hurt
A screenshot (and more information) would be nice though so we can fix the underlying issue

Thanks, I added it to the CSS files that are set as default for our forum and also to the base.css. This user with the problems isn't exactly a fountain of information, so I don't think I'll get a screenshot from her. But I'll ask. Maybe this fixed the problem for her. I'll let you know if it did or get any further info off her.

-TeeJay

9 (edited by TJ_TeeJay 2007-03-30 11:52)

Unfortunately, I still don't have a screenshot from the user, nor more information about her system, but she told me it's still not working for her. She can't see the login or password text entry boxes on the login page. Anyone got any other idea how to fix this? Is there another way to have this person log in to the message board? I suppose I could create an open section where you don't have to register to post, but I'm reluctant to do so. Plus it doesn't really solve the problem.

I'd be very grateful for any information anyone can share. I'm not a PHP whiz, btw. I know the basics and how to copy and paste, but that's about it. wink And I'll try to get you screenshots and more info about this user if I can.

-TeeJay

Without more information I don't know that we'll be able to figure out what's wrong

I just downloaded and installed AOL Browser 1.5 which is the current AOL browser for WinXP. In fact, I'm using it now. It works perfectly which is not really surprising as its bascially IE6.

I also know that PunBB works OK in IE5 Mac. That makes the problem specific to AOL and to the particular browser your member is using. There really isn't anything I can about it as I can't replicate your users problem. This has got nothing to do with php, its purely a browser rendering bug. Ask your user if she has the same problems with the search form.

BTW: The AOL browser works happily alongside IE7 so this is actually a backdoor way of testing in IE6 and IE7 at the same time.

Thanks, guys. I know it's hard to pinpoint anything at this point without more information. It's frustrating for me as well because I want to keep my users happy. I'll let you know if I receive more information that might help. I'll ask about the Search form.

-TeeJay

If you ignore the hack I posted above ie. get rid of it then this should fix the problem

#punlogin form#login label {float:none}

What that should do is put the username and password boxes on top of each other rather than floating them side by side. It will however do that for every browser.

Thanks, Paul. Very much appreciated. I'll try that when I hear back from my user.

-TeeJay