Topic: Firefox 1.0.4 Now available

Several security fixes.

For Free Download

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

Re: Firefox 1.0.4 Now available

I can't wait until MOOX releases his optimized version of this...I can't WAIT!!!

*huddles in corner and rocks back and forth*

Thanks for the heads up.

i can't wait till they release a british version tongue

I can't wait until they release a version which renders pages properly sad

Paul wrote:

Don't use IE only code. smile <3 Firefox.

varg wrote:
Paul wrote:

I never use IE only code. Firefox is broken, I know it, they know it but they don't bloody fix it.
http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/geckogaps.html

Paul wrote:
varg wrote:
Paul wrote:

I never use IE only code. Firefox is broken, I know it, they know it but they don't bloody fix it.

Firefox isn't broken...Gecko is broken.
Lots of browsers are affected by this. The only way is for the Gecko core to be updated.

Yes I know it's gecko but I wasn't sure the last poster would have known what I meant. Besides, on the latest stats Firefox seems to be the only gecko based browser that people are actually using. I begin to wonder whether they are wasting their time with mozilla.

Paul wrote:

I laughed quite a bit when I read that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Paul wrote:

Yes I know it's gecko but I wasn't sure the last poster would have known what I meant. Besides, on the latest stats Firefox seems to be the only gecko based browser that people are actually using. I begin to wonder whether they are wasting their time with mozilla.

Well, I used to be a huge K-Meleon fan. wink
Still am, just easier to use FF.

To take the wind out of a few sails, these are some Danish stats compiled from their 20 most visited sites. It gives some insight into the real world (if thats an appropriate description of the average Dane) rather than the geek world.

http://www.fdim.dk/?vis=page&ID=73

Paul wrote:

To take the wind out of a few sails, these are some Danish stats compiled from their 20 most visited sites.

It doesn't matter to me if IE usage is 99.99%, cause I'll be in the 00.01% using another browser.

Stats neither liven me nor do they bring me down, I just keep trucking along. I'm not looking for World Domination, I just want to have an alternative to Windows and IE that works.

I'm very happy running Debian Sarge, surfing with Firefox and reading my mail in Thunderbird. If Mozilla closed tomorrow, I have tar.gz's full of source code. The rules are different today, the movement can't be stopped.

Paul wrote:

... Firefox is broken, I know it, they know it but they don't bloody fix it.

Hi all. logfile-guester for a day says:

The link to my page you are citing is ideed a long standing annoyance in pixel perfect designs. But, it so happens that they are currently working very hard on this one (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c … 77805#c105), and it will take its time as they have to fix a deep nested major thing with a lot of sideeffects (as I understand it, if at all).

I agree its hard to realize that, i.e., a reported CSS specification violation bug by myself, say, for Opera8beta1, is still not fixed in Opera8.01.

Must be the same feeling for a bug reporter in any other browser that allows and read a bug report sent from mortals. In this very moment you send it, you think you are part of the community, the open source and so on, but with the next release not being fixed, you can get easily the feeling that they "don't bloody fix it", like you've said.

On the other hand, listen to what they do every hour, every day: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=265173   
so many bugs fixed per day! 

Reporting bugs is frustrating for the reporter, but beneficial in the sum for all, I hope.

Today, most influential Web Designers code for FF/Op/Saf etc and then debug for IE.  No log stat gives you this information. Stats talk about the past and lie about the future. The other day, I've heard Safari gets a good screenreader. For free. Web standards folks have driven this.

In the end, I think we'll have some good, reliable, standards based, community-driven Browsers with the respect from designers and users. They might differ in some acessibility aspects. It's not important which of them hits the Acid2 line for the public. They all will make it in the near future. The bugfixes made for this goal will be partly beneficial, yes, and the rest is public relation, and we can be happy about good PR that will help spread good browsers.

Thanks.

My particular gripe comes from trying to make the page you are looking at now work properly in firefox. Because of the wide variety of content plus trying to use em's for sizing the bottom borders keep vanishing or gaps open up. On a normal website as opposed to dynamic pages its not such a problem. It is a pity though that having created a browser that is standards compliant they couldn't make it draw the screen properly. The markup for PunBB was develped and tested on Firefox, its just a shame as many hacks had to be employed to get around this Firefox rendering error as had to be employed to get IE to play ball.

BTW: The viewtopic page has been redesigned for the next version. Six lines less markup and the rendering error has been shifted to the gap between posts smile

Paul wrote:

My particular gripe comes from trying to make the page you are looking at now work properly in firefox. Because of the wide variety of content plus trying to use em's for sizing the bottom borders keep vanishing or gaps open up.

Not that I am any judge, but it looks like a nice job done.

Have a nice day.

firefox 1.0.6 now available

Did you hear that greasemonkey has vulnerabilities?

I've read it recently but never used this extension. How long have you been using this extension?

snap, I've never used greasemonkey, saw too many issues with it.

I try to run a lean and mean browser, the only extensions I use are Web Developer and Flashblock.

Aham ... I use Foxy Tunes, Pluck (switched from Sage) and gmail notifier.

I just now downloaded Firefox 1.0.6 and its my Fox is updated now.... smile

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

A vulnerability has been reported in Firefox which could allow malicious sites to compromise computers running the browser. The security hole, which is rated highly critical by Secunia, affects all versions, including Firefox 1.0.6 and earlier and the just-released beta version of Firefox 1.5. An attack can be created using a specially-crafted URL, which will cause a buffer overflow in Firefox that results in a denial of service and, in some cases, remote code execution.

The flaw was discovered by researcher Tom Ferris of Security Protocols, who found an error in the way Firefox handles URLs (see description here). The vulnerability has been reported to the Mozilla Foundation, which is preparing a fix. There have been 86 million downloads of the Firefox browser, with recent estimates placing its market share at about 9 percent of Internet users.

Starting to look like IE

Details...

more popular = more vulnerable ...

Firefox 1.0.7 is available and the 1.1 will come shortly says Ben Goodger -
..I have these extensions :
greasemonkey;
Web Developer;
chatzilla;
Gmail notifier;
-----------------
- the thing with greasemonkey is that is easy to turn ON/OFF - left from the Gmaln. there's  small monkey icon smile and you could click it for on/off -simple as that m8s