Topic: Question about Hosting?

I've plan to buy a hosting but I confuse with space and bandwith I really need?
Let's say if you're gonna run a site that use for a lot of people in one country, people can write their own news, article, reviews, upload their photos, avatars, and give an attachment.
Do you think that would be need how many space and how many bandwidth per a month?
Please give me suggestions based on your experiences, thanks a lot... (sorry for my poor english)

Re: Question about Hosting?

So many "hosts" are giving away a ton of both space and bandwidth (most of which most people never use, but it sells). Two things you mentioned would make me look for a generous offering of both- photos and attachments.

I wrote this to try to give an idea of both disk space and bandwidth. Maybe it will help.

You can find some excellent host with good packages fairly cheap, but be careful. Those who promise the world are most likely overselling their resources. I've used these guys and was satisfied.

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

thanks a lot middleground that article has lightening me smile
now i know what i've got here is too much for me, i'm so stupid sad
recently i buy host with 100mb space and 2GB bandwith but that wasn't sharedhost so i can't sell it, damm
now i'm confuse what should i do with all of this big_smile
nvm maybe i will think that later

I've been using this webhost for around 2 years now:
http://www.fuitadnet.com/

The first month (at that time, they were privately owned by a Canadian programmer) I had a lot of problems with up and downtime with the servers.
Since that first month I have not had even 1 server downage. No data lost, no glitches, no problems.
Not one.

This is probably because they were bought by a larger corporation, but whatever. There support has been fantastic and they're really great. The prices are cheap ($5.00 for 3 GB space and 25GB bandwidth), so I would totally recommend them.

wooww that really fantastic and also cheap.. in my country hosting are really expensive sad
actually right now i don't need large capacity, but maybe in the future. i hope not.. lol

there is an old topic
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5885

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

i don't think the question here was what host should i use, it was how much space/bandwidth do i need which is completely different

yup Connorhd is right, actually that's what I mean,
I would like to know how big is your site need space and bandwidth?
Btw how about your site Connorhd? you're recently running a host, does that consume your space/bandwidth?

well i used 12gig bandwidth last month but i did get 1,254,583 hits (hits being page views not actual hits) big_smile
as for space mypunbb uses hardly anything well less than 50mb (35.21 Meg atm) the biggest folder is the cache folder, however it does currently have 361.91 Megabytes of MySQL databases

this month i'm already at 11gig and i expect to get 18-20gig total for the month, mypunbb is growing really fast smile

wooww that's really big, someone else experinces?

Connorhd wrote:

well i used 12gig bandwidth last month but i did get 1,254,583 hits (hits being page views not actual hits) big_smile
as for space mypunbb uses hardly anything well less than 50mb (35.21 Meg atm) the biggest folder is the cache folder, however it does currently have 361.91 Megabytes of MySQL databases

this month i'm already at 11gig and i expect to get 18-20gig total for the month, mypunbb is growing really fast smile

That's crazy. I use close to 3 gig a month and only get 800 or so hits. Although - it could be all the photos I host.

yeh well my bandwidth is 75.3 % php and 10.6 % css since the only pictures are smilies and avatars