Re: XHTML Mime type

Paul wrote:

For example, xml only recognises 6 character entities which don't include   so these would be replaced with the numeric references (or literal character if you go the UTF-8 route).

Mhh, I justed tested it and   works perfectly with application/xhtml+xml as mime type. Plain XML probably doesn't have all those entities; but XHTML does for sure.

I would like to answer A, but I'm afraid if I do, I'll just miss the "deadline" smile It all depends on how much stuff pops up.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

coaster wrote:
Paul wrote:

For example, xml only recognises 6 character entities which don't include   so these would be replaced with the numeric references (or literal character if you go the UTF-8 route).

Mhh, I justed tested it and   works perfectly with application/xhtml+xml as mime type. Plain XML probably doesn't have all those entities; but XHTML does for sure.

Actually, I was wrong, its only 5 not 6 (<, >, &, ", &apos;) . The handling of invalid character entities will depend on the browser. If you are using gecko based browsers then they will be rendered as html and work normally. In Opera they will be ignored and in Safari they will be output literally. Which browser did you test with?

29 (edited by coaster 2005-05-16 13:34)

Here you go:

The page
The W3C Validator output

I successfully tested it with both Firefox and Opera 8.

30 (edited by badrad 2005-05-16 18:28)

Paul wrote:

I would have said B (if I'm wrong a panic attack will shortly ensue)

Hehe, don't panic, I really only needed an ultra, ultra rough time estimate.

Rickard wrote:

I would like to answer A, but I'm afraid if I do, I'll just miss the "deadline" smile It all depends on how much stuff pops up.

No, no, not a deadline! I just wanted an idea.

I'll go ahead and invest some time into customizing my punbb, and just redo it later if I need to. Don't we live for this stuff anyway?

Thanks again you two.