Topic: Best PostgreSQL manager?

I noticed there are quite a few PostgreSQL administration tools out there and I am trying to decide what is best to use for my PostgreSQL and so I would like to ask what do you Postgre users use?

Re: Best PostgreSQL manager?

I use pgAdmin III, but only because it's the only one I've ever tested smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I use pgAdmin III, but only because it's the only one I've ever tested smile

Despite the marketeer feeling a thread like this carries...

A needed pgAdmin III link.

I've used phpPgAdmin but usually I'm up to absolutely no good at the prompt.

On a personal note, I really dislike/distrust gui database tools on production servers. Not only can they serve as a root-kit vector, but sometimes it's hard to understand all the nuances that go with the tools. To have something nice on a development server to help speed up things and then using these toolkits to easily package changes, queries, and scripts for upload and deployment on a production system makes life good. These amenities become liabilities when a developer/admin cannot keep up with the security changes and then someone develops an exploit against their database admin toolkit and they don't hear about it until some guy in charge of the network starts noticing massive amounts of activity.

Just for grins I thought I'd take a stab at installing pgadminIII on a fresh Fedora 3 install.

PAIN, SUFFERING, and HUMILIATIONS GALORE!

You're going to find yourself installing from source, which means installing the wxWindows gui toolkit from source.
The wxWindows toolkit chaps like to joke about how long it takes to compile that puppy.

Suprise! FC3 doesn't have the X11 development libs on hand (up2date anyone?) or many of the other libs.
(I'm not a FC3 guru but their python admin toolkit doesn't say anything about X11 or GTK+ lib packages in the install listings -- I've been spoiled to death by Mandrake Linux)

For FC3 installs, you're much better off with something like phpPgAdmin.

debian woody (stable) is much funnier ... the packages it has is postgre 7.2 and pgadmin III ... that sounds nice ... but there's one catch ... pgadmin3 only supports postgresql 7.3+! big_smile

With debian it's all about the shades of gray...there's probably a fresh postgresql 7.4.6 or something in the untrusted, unstable, unwashed, boogie-oogie-oogie-unblessed repositories.  I've come to regard Debian linux like she's some subtly attractive woman until I realize that spending the night with her requires such a brutal level of attention to detail that only the most ardent enthusiast/fanboy/rabid-fanatic would be able to service her correctly.  That said, when I'm being brutally punished in an RPM dependency dungeon (crack that whip!) I think of her fondly, but then it passes and I forget about her for months, even years at a time.  :-)
I've heard she's wearing attractive installation lingere, I might have to date her again sometime.

In defense of Debian, I'm running Sarge as a server/workstation and she's been very good to me. As soon as Sarge is released and KDE 3.4.1 makes it into Sid, I'll move to it.

When I began down the Linux road many years ago, I wore a Redhat for some time. For the last couple of years, it's been Debian on my servers and OpenBSD on my firewall/snort box.

dchan: You should be a columnist or something. You make me laugh smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

dchan: You should be a columnist or something. You make me laugh smile

Science Officer:"Captain, we've just taken a hyperbole torpedo to the starboard deflector grid!"
Captain [yelling over the RED-ALERT siren]: "What's our status!?"
Science Officer: "I've initiated the self-deprecators but we're losing containment! I'm afraid this may just go to his head."
smile