Topic: Perl & Python vs. PHP & ASP

Why would someone use Perl or Python over PHP or ASP? I'm just curious.

Re: Perl & Python vs. PHP & ASP

perl and python don't have to be used for web applications (i know the same applies for php/asp but not as much)

3 (edited by Jacq 2005-06-07 06:04)

It applies to PHP just as much, but it's seldom used in other occasions than web scripting. M0n0wall is one refreshing example.

I personally wouldn't use Perl or Python over PHP in web scripting. I have created applications with all of them, but my personal preference is in the c-like syntax of PHP.

ASP is more or less a Windows thing (tm). I did a search engine based on Windows indexing service with it and it was quite a pain in the nether regions to do. Weakest of the four when it comes to language constructs.

Removed some typoes

it doesn't apply to php just as much though

m0n0wall is probably the first UNIX system that has its boot-time configuration done with PHP

php can do it but thats not its main purpose

php = Personal Home Page
perl = Practical Extraction and Reporting Language

In the way you said it before it does wink

Perl and Python can do web scripting but it's not their main purpose. ASP on the other hand isn't suitable for anything, but that's just me and my buttocks talking tongue

I played with perl before messing with, and loving php, and found it to be a little strict for me. Not as forgiving perhaps, but that was a few years ago. On the other hand, if I remember correctly, one can do a ton of stuff in a few lines of perl that would take several in php.

Maybe unrelated (and completely without backing), but I know a lot of hosts are frowning upon Perl due to resource usage, preferring client use php instead...

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

Connorhd wrote:

php = Personal Home Page

According to php manual:

2. What does PHP stand for?

PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. This confuses many people because the first word of the acronym is the acronym. This type of acronym is called a recursive acronym. The curious can visit Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing for more information on recursive acronyms.

Speaking of PHP, what's the difference between PHP 4 and PHP 5?

There are several major advances between the two, including revamped OOP internals and new advanced functionality. Find a thorough rundown here.

if your just starting to code though its not really much different, except 5 has a few extras

This is kind of unrelated, but I wonder what happened in July 2004?

http://www.realmeme.com/miner/java/scriptinglanguagesDejanews.png

BTW. PHP had it's tenth birthday yesterday. Yay!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

scottywz wrote:

Why would someone use Perl or Python over PHP or ASP? I'm just curious.

Hrm, as for me, I use Python whenever I can. I've been using it more and more for websites, because CherryPy makes it less painful than it used to be (CGI and mod_python are painful.) Besides the fact that I consider Python to be "more fun," it's usually easier to read other people's source code (or even my own!) because the language by nature enforces clean code. Even the best php apps are not very easy to read and figure out right away.

As a side note, the question probably should have been "why would someone use python vs. php & asp" or "perl vs. php & asp" because other than being interpreted languages, Python and Perl are quite different philosophically.

13 (edited by scottywz 2005-07-02 02:37)

This is what I don't like about Perl:

1. I want to install a Webmail app (mainly PHP) on my Web site.
2. I want to run the conf.pl file to configure it.
3. When I try to do so, it tells me it can't be world writable.
4. I fix that.
5. Now, I get a "Permission denied" message.
6. I chmod the file to 755.
7. Now, it says it must be run from the command line! mad ALL THAT WORK FOR NOTHING! <edit> Oh, and I don't think I can do that with my Web host. </edit>