Topic: Unable to restore database using DB Management Plugin

I am unable to restore from a backup that was done using the DB Management plugin. I did a full backup with no gzip compression, giving me a  .sql file.  When uploading this file, I get the following error message:

"No file was uploaed or the upload failed, the database was not restored"

Here's my setup: 
  PunBB 1.2.5
  Operating system: FreeBSD
  PHP: 5.0.4
  MySQL 4.1.10a-log
  Rows: 87
  Size: 1.64 MB
  Using Database management - v1.3.

I have moved host (am now on textdrive) and my forum is in limbo at the moment as I can't restore the db.

I have re-tried the restore and backup with a fresh punbb install, but I still can't get the restore to work.

???????

Re: Unable to restore database using DB Management Plugin

Perhaps the script simply timed out? Check your PHP settings and see what the timeout values is, and also, what the max post size/upload size is.

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

do you have access to phpmyadmin? you could try restoring through that

4 (edited by marvincooper 2005-06-07 11:29)

OK, it's restored through PHPMyadmin for my new punbb install. Just need to try it with my old database from my old host (will have to do this this evening as I don't have access to the sql file at the moment). Fingers crossed.....

Thanks,

Marv

ps any ideas why the plugin can't handle it?

i have no idea, could just be too big like codexp said, i didn't worry too much about the restore process when i was making it since you can do it in phpmyadmin etc

marvincooper wrote:

OK, it's restored through PHPMyadmin for my new punbb install. Just need to try it with my old database from my old host (will have to do this this evening as I don't have access to the sql file at the moment). Fingers crossed.....

Well, it hasn't worked with my old database, I received the following error:

"#1170 - BLOB/TEXT column 'message' used in key specification without a key length"

It seems that some of the database has been restored though - my index page shows my 2 old forums, with post counts displayed, but there are in fact no posts within those forums. Also, my userlist has not been restored (although there are usernames shown as having posted on the index page).

Basically, it appears to be well and truly broken.

Help, somebody please, help!

That's odd, message doesn't have an index
Can you copy the part of your dump where you create the posts table?

Sorry, what do you mean?

Well, I've fixed it.  I had to delve into the SQL text file, which is a first for me, so I'm pretty pleased with myself smile

The problem lay with the last line of this bit of code:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS posts;
CREATE TABLE posts(
    id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
    poster varchar(200) NOT NULL,
    poster_id int(10) unsigned DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL,
    poster_ip varchar(15),
    poster_email varchar(50),
    message text NOT NULL,
    hide_smilies tinyint(1) NOT NULL,
    posted int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
    edited int(10) unsigned,
    edited_by varchar(200),
    topic_id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL, 
    PRIMARY KEY (id), 
    KEY posts_topic_id_idx (topic_id), 
    KEY posts_multi_idx (poster_id, topic_id), 
    KEY message (message)
);

I deleted the last line, and the "posts" table was then created, albeit with it's "message" row missing. I added this using phpmyadmin, and was then able to import all the post data - basically by copying the relevant section from the SQL file into phpmyadmin.

And it all worked. wow smile  I might just have a go at getting my hands dirty with some more SQL now, I've been meaning to use it for ages.....

Marv