Re: the best cms/portal...

i really don't like mambo, but maybe i'm just cynical tongue

reviewum.com wrote:

I like CMSMadeSimple.  The goal of the developer seems very similar to Rickard... keep it simple.   I got so tired of all the bells and whistles in so many of the other CMS's that I just wanted something that my newbie user's could access and do WYSIWYG editing of web pages.
http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/

I tested this a couple of weeks ago ... and I got really tired of it ... I installed it, and all I got was an empty page ... I de-installed, and re-installed ... same thing ... then I looked at the sourcecode the browser was showing ... and I saw a couple of short tags *sigh* ...  they had mixed short and proper php tags throughout the code, even though the recommendation from php is to use proper tags when distrobuting code to other ... either way ... I did some tricks to find all the occurrences ... and also noticed they used short echo aswell sad  .... I replaced all short tags to proper tags, rewrote the short echo's to proper echos in a bunch of files ... I then managed to log in ... but there were still pages non functional ... like the plugin page ... so I gave up ... wasted enough time on it ...

probably going to look for some other cms in the near future ... a clean one wink

Connorhd wrote:

i really don't like mambo, but maybe i'm just cynical tongue

No, you're not cynical. I don't like it either.

well i hadn't used it much before then i downloaded it to see how easy it would be to integrate with punbb, but it just seemed horrible to use hmm

reviewum.com wrote:

Yup, unfortunately it doesn't work in anything other than IE, BUT, all of the newbie user's I'd be setting it up for are using IE.   Most people using Firefox know how to use other editors and more complex CMS's.   I like simple and efficient.   The cool thing is it writes static pages which makes the server load WAY less than a CMS which is always querying the DB.

PuB keeps cache files for the config, bans and stuff. (the stuff mostly used)

Handheld low on battery...

Nevethir wrote:

I think Mambo will be the best wink
or php-fusion? (php-fusion.co.uk)

Typo is very heavy... I don't like it

PHP-Fusion just released v6 and is much better than their last release. it's tied with XooPs for my favorite.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I discovered Etomite www.etomite.org .  Ideal for a programmer-centric CMS

Textpattern is by far the best CMS out there. I spent ages looking for the right one. It reminds me of PunBB because it's light, powerful and easy to use. Of course there is a bit of a learning curve but once you've got your head around it nothing can stop you doing exactly what you want.

PunBB + Textpattern = Website perfection

Fire Fusion - I once tried it out and you're right about the learning curve. I gave up for a while. But, that was mostly for design reasons. However, I've downloaded it to my test-server and I've decided to give it another try.

*shrugs* Wish me luck.

35 (edited by Fire Fusion 2005-06-08 21:54)

Things to understand/remember

Textile - seems annoying at first but is actually much quicker and easier than html once you get the hang of it

Plug-ins - Are just PHP scripts. Handy because there is a huge archive at you disposal and you don't need to know the first thing about PHP.
Forms - Are main thing it takes a while to get but once you do you've pretty much figured out Textpattern.

Keep asking any questions you have on there forum or check the Textbook

36 (edited by erissiva 2005-06-08 22:09)

Well, after installing it, it looks like a great piece of software. Danged thing is that my test server doesn't have mod_rewrite installed, so I've got to get around to that.

Again - it'll take a little to get used to, but the flexibility I see is amazing. Both from a hardline aspect and a design aspect.

Edit: Fixed that and it works perfectly. big_smile
Gonna start mucking around and getting the design the way I want.

37 (edited by Fire Fusion 2005-06-08 22:16)

You fixed the mod_rewrite thing?

I hope so as the clean section/title URLs are one of my favorite parts.