Topic: Working on a new site, feedback would be nice

Hi everyone!

So, these last few days I've started on actually getting everything ready for the big move away from phpBB smile It's still a few months (at least) off, but I got started working on the new site.
The first thing I wanted to get started with was the design of the forum. Seeing as this project is a little different from the previous, more personal sites I've worked on, I'm trying to get a clean, functional design. It still have to look good though, so I've worked around the clock on this one over the weekend smile
I still have a lot left to do with it (not to mention the rest of the site), but I find that once I got the general look of things down, it's a lot easier to get the rest done as well.

What I'm asking for now is some feedback on the style. What do you like, and what don't you like? Are there any problems, bugs etc. that you see, or perhaps the colors looks wrong on your monitor (I'm developing using an LCD)?

Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated!

Please note that the header/logo design is most likely not the one I'll be sticking with seeing as I'm not quite sure if I like it yet.

Here's the link (feel free to post away. Guest posts are allowed in any of the "new forums"): [Link...]

...and now, off to bed! Been coding all day wink

Re: Working on a new site, feedback would be nice

This was funny! big_smile

1) Great styles - definitely like your mouseover/hover effects.  Easy to read, etcetera.

2) Great avatar on that board - fits very well with the look of the boards.

jamesrskemp wrote:

1) Great styles - definitely like your mouseover/hover effects.  Easy to read, etcetera.

2) Great avatar on that board - fits very well with the look of the boards.

Thanks smile Any suggestions on what needs to be improved (if any)?

scottywz wrote:

This was funny! big_smile

Hehe, needed a few topics to demonstrate how things looked wink

Any suggestions for the forum itself?

yeah styles rox! tongue

you should change the background color of the other boxes to be the same color of the table background. like the 3 boxes at the bottom seem a little out of place

Gizzmo wrote:

you should change the background color of the other boxes to be the same color of the table background. like the 3 boxes at the bottom seem a little out of place

Hmm, now that you mention it...

I just tried styling them the same as the forum/topic list, but I'm not quite sure that I want it in the exact same color. Perhaps a slighly brighter shade would do?
The reason I don't want the exact same color is that I want to avoid making the whole page look uniform in color. The boxes in question do need some styling though smile

Thanks for the feedback!

Just decided to strip out a few of the images I had added previously, and replace them with just border/bg color settings. Also replaced the status indicators with bullets. I had added BG images to the old icon div's, but due to IE's inability to cache CSS images, they had to do.
Also did a few minor tweaks here and there, and I think I'm getting closer to how I want it to look smile

10 (edited by CodeXP 2005-06-09 21:34)

Just added a blue, simplified version of the theme. Some of my users requested it, as they wanted a theme suitable for those with a "less-than-optimal" eyesight.

I'm also working on a few more variants as well. I'm not completely done with any of them, but I think I'm getting there smile

I've also imported a dump of my main database, and the conversion went well for the most part. Still need to change the converter a little, but it looks like I'll be able to move from phpBB to PunBB shortly!

Added yet another theme smile This time, it's a dark one... I usually make brighter themes, but I'm rather satisfied with how this one turned out. Still need to check how it looks on a regular CRT monitor, but it works very well on my LCD.

Also added some hover effects to the user list and search results page..

QUALITY work there CodeXP. :thumbs:

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

QUALITY work there CodeXP. :thumbs:

Thanks smile

Anything you noticed that could be improved?

nope... all peaches.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more